Sabot help

honker

Have been trying to refine some loads for my .50 cal. The question I have is how hard/easy should it be to get sabotted rounds down the barrel. I am getting great groups with Hornady sabots and 100 grains powder (1 to 2" at 125yd) but I can't get them down the spout without really pounding on them. I'm worried about creating excess pressure, breaking my ramrod, and the noise this creates reloading in the field.

Do I need to find a new load, lube, clean my rifle more or what. Really don't want to give up on the Hornadys if I can avoid it, due to the groups and the way this combination worked on the cow elk I shot last fall.

Anything will help guys - I don't really have any other sources for muzzleloader info. Thnx

Honker,

I was faced with the same problem last year with Barnes MZ Expander 300. I could get some assume grouping when the Barnes bullet was pushed with a 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. But I had to bust a nut every time I had to load it. If I did not run a split patch down the barrel between shots, I was done after three shots. There was just no way that I could have got forced the bullet down a dirty barrel.

I ended up taking Bluelks advise this summer and bought some CVA Power Belt bullets. I get the same groupings using the Power Belts as I did with the Barnes. I no longer have to use a bullet starter because I can start the bullet down the barrel with my fingers. It would not surprise me if my three year old boy could finish pushing the bullet the rest of the way down the barrel with the ram rode.

I know that it is getting close to the season opener and you will not have a lot of time to work up a load. It will be well worth your time to give the CVA Power Belt or the Black Belt a try.

Good luck

400bull

Honker: Either do what "400bull" did, or change the color of your sabot. Sabots are different colors because each color has a different thickness. What color are you using?

Either way, changing sabots or switching over to PowerBelt/BlackBelt bullets, you are facing doing some range time before hunting season. You might think about "gutting" it out this season, and do the change over after the season is over. Your call.

Honker:

My sabots fit tight as well. I tried some blackbelts but they didn't seem to be that much easier to push down the bore though they might be an improvement in YOUR frontloader as 400bull found out in his. What slides down easy in one's muzzleloader might not be so easy in another.

I have never tried changing the color of the sabot, though it makes good sense. Bluelk is the resident expert on this board, and when he talks, one should listen!

BTW, did you ever get my e-mail awhile back on 115? I thought it went through after coming back once but I never heard back from ya. Heading that way this Thursday for the Labor Day weekend to scout camp sites and learn the country - and hopefully see a few animals to keep the blood pumping.

Later.

Horniac

Appreciate the comments guys - at least this gives me a few options. The sabots I have tried are green and black - didn't even think about the size/color thing - just used the ones that came with the bullets. I ordered some of the powerbelts this morning. Think I will go to the local huntin store and get some smaller sized sabots.

I've got plenty of time for range work - season runs through Nov into December.

Horniac - I never did get that e-mail from ya. I have made one scout trip so far (weekend) and called the local biologist. One thing; I found that the boundaries of the Park and the Wilderness Area are not well marked. Drop me a line after your scouting - we can compare notes. Looks like I won't be hunting the area hard until after Turkey Day - Unless we get early storms.

Again - Thanks to everyone

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom