sabot vs. powerbelt questions

300wbymann

just a question for the muzzy guys.
first, are they the same thing? is a power belt considered a sabot?

does the base come off of a powerbelt?

whats a more accurate bullet of the 2?

1 more question- do think it's possible to shoot 200 yars WITH OPEN SIGHTS? (no scope at all)

thanks-

No a Powerbelt is a full bore conical bullet. The plastic base is just a gas seal and holds the bullet in tighter. The base does come off the bullet within 15 feet. You normally find them down range anywhere from 25 to 50 yards.

Depends on how hard to you up a load with either one. I can normally put 3 shots into a quarter size hole or even smaller with Powerbelts with my CVA.

200 yards with open sights on a deer is a very hard thing to do unless you have great eye sight and good quality sights
www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

Sometimes the base on the Powerbelt comes off before you fire, not cool, I have had the bullet come tumbling out of the barrel before and had other guys with the same problem.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-12 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]As stated, they are not conicals, but I have heard that some "conical only" states don't allow powerbelts. Powerbelts ARE legal in Colorado

In addition to sometimes coming off before firing (personally I have never had this happen), they will sometimes NOT shed the plastic tip at all. I know of one guy who killed a bull at over 100 yards, and the plastic was still attached! Seems to me it was 170 yards!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I've never been able to get powerbelts to shoot very accurately. Some people do it. I stopped using them after I shot a deer in the shoulder with one and it didn't make it past the shoulder blade. If you want to use them the CVA guns seem to shoot them well and use the heavier offerings which will penetrate better. Sabots are what I use in my T/C and I'm getting consistent 1" groups. If you go this route you want a nice tight fitting sabot, and swab the bore between shots. My gun won't shoot the real high velocity (150 grains of powder) loads as well, it seems to like around 120.

200 yards is easily doable if you throw down on some good sights and practice at that range. Look for a peep sight and the tiniest front sight you can find, it will make all the difference. Don't even think about shooting a deer that far away without a rangefinder, either. Misjudging by even 10% can mean a wounded deer.

I've had good luck with powerbelts out of my Omega. With open sites I can get 2" or so at 100 yards. I've never seen the plastic not come off . . .

The plastic gas seal stayed on! Found the near-perfect mushroomed slug with the gas seal next to it on the far side shoulder right under the skin (heavy-beamed five point bull). All lead model (no tip). Gives good accuracy with 1:48 twist out of percussion Hawken with 80 grains of Pyrodex.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom