Sako Forester 220 Swift???

roperlt

OK all you gun experts, I have a question. I have a Sako Forester Model L579 in 220 Swift that I've owned for 30 years. My question is how do I find out the twist on the factory barrell?? I would like to try some Berger 60 Gr. VLD bullets, but I'm told I need a 1:12 or faster twist to get them to stabilize. I have been shooting 50 Gr. V-Max w/ 38 Gr. 4064 and getting .5 MOA groups, but I'm just bored and wanted to try something new. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks, L.T.

I've not tried it but I have seen it posted that you can run a cleaning rod through the barrel and count the number of turns it makes which should give you the twist rate. I guess if you put a mark on the rob with a pen or something, then when you run it through it should twist??? Maybe someone else will chime in on how this is done.
Or maybe check some Sako website and see if that info is there.
Great guns.

I've done it. Its not precise but it works. You need a cleaning rod that rotates at the handle. Get a snug fit on the jag with a slick patch. Put a mark at the top of the cleaning rod and also somewhere to measure how far the rod travels for one complete turn. Push in the cleaning rod until the mark on top makes a full turn and measure the distance the cleaning rod travelled.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom