Sako V action & .338 Lapua Cartridge

Meander

I have a beautiful Sako rifle factory chambered for the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag cartridge. In this particular rifle I can't get factory loads, or handloads to shoot worth a darn.

I'm wondering if I can have this rifle rebarreled to handle the .338 Lapua cartridge.

Thanks in advance.

If the bolt face is the correct size to handle the Lapua case rim, or smaller, so that it could be opened up to accept the Lapua rim diameter, it should work.
If it is already to big for the Lapua case you could have it rebarreled to .338 Rem. Ultra Mag.
Any thoughts about why it won't shoot as is?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-08 AT 06:51PM (MST)[p]The .338 Lapua is .588 at the case head. The 7mm Ultra is.534. I'd look at the .338 RUM also. Or maybe rebarrel to .338 and use the .300 RUM brass necked up to .338. The .338 EDGE. mtmuley OR, You could use your action and go to the .300 RUM.

The .338 RUM is a good option. The numbers are close to the Lapua and the brass is a whole lot less expensive.

I'm not sure why I can't get the 7 RUM to shoot. I've glass bedded the action in the stock and adjusted the factory trigger down to a crisp 3 lbs. I also put a Briley muzzle brake on it. I've tried Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, and Sierra bullets in both 140 and 160 grain with the following powders: H4831, AA8700, Retumbo, H1000, and RL-22. I've loaded minimum and maximum and a few places in between with nothing better than a 2" group at 100 yards from a bench. The 2" group came from the 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

I already have a .300 RUM that Christensen Arms built me on a Winchester Model 70 action. I can shoot nice little clover leaf groups with it all day long. I can come close to that with my .270 WSM and my .30-06, but this Sako 7 RUM has me scratching my head. It's a beautiful rifle but doesn't shoot worth a darn.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-08 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]Some 7 RUM rifles shoot, and it seems, alot, some don't. Take a look at the .338 EDGE. pm me and I'll give you a good site to get started if you are interested. mtmuley Or maybe try RL-25?

I know its a dumb question but have you checked the stock to make sure there's no contact. I've tuned up a few rifles just by cleaning up the stock. I know you bedded it, but had to ask.

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

If you do decide to change the caliber. Don't make it into a 338 RUM. Take mtmuleys advice and make it a .338 Edge. It's a 300 RUM case necked to a .33 caliber bullet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom