Same season, different units... experiences?

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Hey everyone, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I drew a totally unexpected Book Cliffs South rifle deer tag this year. While I'm totally stoked about that, my dad (greatest hunting partner) and I now have a conflict. He and I had put in for general season rifle deer at Fishlake, which he drew. So we have tags in different units, for the same season.

Have any of you experienced this? We first thought we'd for sure get to the Books and if my daughter can tag out (mentor program) early, then we'd head to Fishlake and try and get my dad a buck as well...

But, now we've thought maybe we'll do the opposite... head to Fishlake and take the first 3 point or better we see, then head to the Books.

Also, we kinda don't want to turn his tag in because the rule says he won't get a preference points if he does.

Thoughts.?

If I was in your situation I would certainly concentrate on the Book cliffs tag and make a lifetime of memories with your daughter and dad.
How many points did your dad use for the general? If he returns it I was under the impression he gets his points reinstated just not a point for this year. Could he draw the tag next year?

Hey everyone, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I drew a totally unexpected Book Cliffs South rifle deer tag this year. While I'm totally stoked about that, my dad (greatest hunting partner) and I now have a conflict. He and I had put in for general season rifle deer at Fishlake, which he drew. So we have tags in different units, for the same season.

Have any of you experienced this? We first thought we'd for sure get to the Books and if my daughter can tag out (mentor program) early, then we'd head to Fishlake and try and get my dad a buck as well...

But, now we've thought maybe we'll do the opposite... head to Fishlake and take the first 3 point or better we see, then head to the Books.

Also, we kinda don't want to turn his tag in because the rule says he won't get a preference points if he does.

Thoughts.?
Are there bucks on Fishlake? Kidding. I agree with what Cahunter said...never give up the chance to hunt an LE unit. Even if you lose money on the general tag, it's only money. You could go another 5-8 years without drawing an LE tag. Sounds like a no brainer.

100% agree with what others have said - put the effort in the Book Cliffs hunt with your Dad and Daughter and if you tag out early, then worry about the Fishlake tag.

Yeah, I kind of figured the thread would go like this... We'll make sure to get the most out of the Books tag first...

Also, we could draw the Fishlake tags next year, even without his point. We had this plan of taking some fishing trips down there this summer and this darn Book Cliffs tag throws a little monkey wrench into that plan. :ROFLMAO: It's a problem I'm happy to have...

Yeah, I kind of figured the thread would go like this... We'll make sure to get the most out of the Books tag first...

Also, we could draw the Fishlake tags next year, even without his point. We had this plan of taking some fishing trips down there this summer and this darn Book Cliffs tag throws a little monkey wrench into that plan. :ROFLMAO: It's a problem I'm happy to have...
Don't turn the tag back, hunt the bookcliffs first, then move to FL after she tags out, and let her mentor both tags if it's allowed

The Book Cliffs South gets better towards the end of the hunt. If there is an early snow storm in October that dumps a lot of snow then Opening Day might be the ticket but usually the end of the hunt is better on the South End. The deer that migrate to the south don't stay in middle ground too long. Once they move they get there fast and weather is what usually moves them. If its hot and dry they may take a little longer to get down low.

Not to be disagreeable, after the first weekend, the Books will have a lot less pressure and you’ll see bigger bucks. (Based on my experience). Follow your original plan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom