San Juan early rifle

miller

Got lucky on this early rifle draw, I'm super excited. Heading to scout over labor day week and 5 days before the hunt. Due to a pelvis brake from a horse accident a month ago I wont be in the best of shape but I for sure will make the best of the hunt. Any one that might have knowledge/experiance of the unit, the information would be appriceated.

You can shoot a 400" bull from the road. ??

All joking aside, you're in for a once-in-a-lifetime experience for anyone other than the super rich. I've been in the unit on two occasions years ago. I couldn't believe the bulls I saw just driving and glassing. Gove the outfitters a run for their money.!! Good luck.!

You will probably have no problem finding a mature bull on your hunt but I'd advise you not to go with an inches number in your head.
I had that tag two years ago and had the hunt of my lifetime. That said, I hunted almost the entire season and I didn't see a bull bigger than 350"s. On my hunt, we had been going through some serious drought years so I expect the trophy quality was not up to par, but I still think the big bull numbers are way down.
I just enjoyed the experience and in the end shot a decent old bull.
I think your plan is solid as long as your mind is right.
Know you will have outfitter competition but don't let that get in the way of having a great time and a true elk adventure.

You can shoot a 400" bull from the road. ??

All joking aside, you're in for a once-in-a-lifetime experience for anyone other than the super rich. I've been in the unit on two occasions years ago. I couldn't believe the bulls I saw just driving and glassing. Gove the outfitters a run for their money.!! Good luck.!
12 weeks from breaking my pelvis, Physical theropy going great, doc said i could start hiking with weight in my pack. AT 30 lbs 3miles a day. heading to scout in 2 weeks its going to be a great hunt. I've talked to a few guys that gave me some info to start my scout trip. happy hunting

20210913_084628.jpg
I really liked the Redledges area but found out during scouting you cant camp on that mountain. You can get closer to the top from the Blanding side but probably not the area you will hunt if you have horses. Also a lot of motorcycle trail riding that can definitely mess with the elk.

View attachment 118134I really liked the Redledges area but found out during scouting you cant camp on that mountain. You can get closer to the top from the Blanding side but probably not the area you will hunt if you have horses. Also a lot of motorcycle trail riding that can definitely mess with the elk.
Thanks for the info. Leaving our horses home on this trip. My son is flying out from Florida to help and be my pack mule if I’m successful. We are going to be scouting 5days over Labor Day and 5days before the opening day 9/20. I’ll send pics.. the trip with my son and brother will be memories for the books.

You will probably have no problem finding a mature bull on your hunt but I'd advise you not to go with an inches number in your head.
I had that tag two years ago and had the hunt of my lifetime. That said, I hunted almost the entire season and I didn't see a bull bigger than 350"s. On my hunt, we had been going through some serious drought years so I expect the trophy quality was not up to par, but I still think the big bull numbers are way down.
I just enjoyed the experience and in the end shot a decent old bull.
I think your plan is solid as long as your mind is right.
Know you will have outfitter competition but don't let that get in the way of having a great time and a true elk adventure.
Thanks for the info you gave to start my scouting trip and hunt. Your article was a great read. I’m 80% healed and I have my son coming in from Florida to help out. The memories of having my son and brother on the hunt I’ll cherish for a lifetime. Thanks again for your insight.

if you’re not back 100% I would spend more time on elk ridge than on the blues. Flatter terrain and you can glass a lot from ATV trails.

Thanks for the info you gave to start my scouting trip and hunt. Your article was a great read. I’m 80% healed and I have my son coming in from Florida to help out. The memories of having my son and brother on the hunt I’ll cherish for a lifetime. Thanks again for your insight.
I rarely hunt solo because, to me, sharing the adventure with a family member or friend makes the experience twice as memorable. I'm glad your bro and son can tag along and if you get a bull down very far from a road, you will definitely need help getting it out.
PM me if you feel you need more of my advice.

View attachment 118134I really liked the Redledges area but found out during scouting you cant camp on that mountain.

Yes you can, just not everywhere and all over. There is a designated watershed boundary that begins just shy of Camp Jackson and ends up top near Indian Creek.

For the hunter/OP: I've usually accessed from the Blanding side because you can access the Monticello side by driving up the mountain, you have all the Blanding side, and you can run over to the Elk Ridge side via the Causeway. There is a decent developed campground on theat side, Nizhoni campground that normally has potable water avaliable.

Have hunted the SJ general archery elk several times in the past with the intent of drawing the tag one day. Every [cow] elk I took had a 340-350 bull standing within easy bow shot.

Get away from the road if you can and you can knock down a 350" - 375" bull.

I rarely hunt solo because, to me, sharing the adventure with a family member or friend makes the experience twice as memorable. I'm glad your bro and son can tag along and if you get a bull down very far from a road, you will definitely need help getting it out.
Thank you

Yes you can, just not everywhere and all over. There is a designated watershed boundary that begins just shy of Camp Jackson and ends up top near Indian Creek.

For the hunter/OP: I've usually accessed from the Blanding side because you can access the Monticello side by driving up the mountain, you have all the Blanding side, and you can run over to the Elk Ridge side via the Causeway. There is a decent developed campground on theat side, Nizhoni campground that normally has potable water avaliable.

Have hunted the SJ general archery elk several times in the past with the intent of drawing the tag one day. Every [cow] elk I took had a 340-350 bull standing within easy bow shot.

Thank you

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Camp Jackson!

There's Some Smooth F'N Trails That'll Take You From One Side To The Other!
Tha
PM me if you feel you need more of my advice
will do thanks

Thanks for the info. Leaving our horses home on this trip. My son is flying out from Florida to help and be my pack mule if I’m successful. We are going to be scouting 5days over Labor Day and 5days before the opening day 9/20. I’ll send pics.. the trip with my son and brother will be memories for the books.
How did the body do over Labor Day weekend?

had a good scouting trip, made a few hikes to glasses spots body felt good. Learned the country. Saw several bulls, the bull we’re just starting to get vocal. Will be heading back on the 15th to look at more bulls before the hunt on the 20th. Overall great memories made with my brother and friend. Thanks for asking.

I'm guessing the bulls will be fired up when you return. I'm also predicting that 5 days of looking will have you so fired up to kill one, you won't be able to contain yourself!
Mid September is a magical time to be on that mountain, at least it was for us. Keep us posted and PM me if you have any last minute questions I can help with.

I Don't Remember Their Names?

But Me & My Son Met A Guy From KALI That Had The Early Rifle Tag On San Juan During The Archery Hunt Just A Few Days Before His Early Rifle Hunt Was Gonna Start!

Was That You Miller?

Anybody Run In To Them Or Talk To Them?

Last edited:
Ya!

That Day We Talked To You Guys There Were A Few Bulls Around Us!

We Didn't Screw With Any Of Them Or Educate Them, We Were Just Extra Eyes For A Friend!

After We Talked To You Guys We Went Out On The End & Glassed In The Canyon & got A Glimpse Of a Couple Bulls But They Were Staying Shaded Up For The Most Part!

When We Left We Stopped At The Main Road Just Through The Gate & Were Talking!

My Son Says:I Just Heard A Bugle Below Us!

Then We Heard A Truck!

Sure Enough!

Some JOKER Driving Up The Road With His Bugle Out The Window Bugling Once In A While Flying Up The Road at Good Rate Of Speed!

I'm Like: WTH Is That All About?

I Wish We Woulda Been Down There While You Were Hunting,We Woulda Damn Sure Helped You Pack That Elk Out,But That Was My 2nd Trip Down & Ya,We Had To Go Back Home The Next Day!

It's Always Nice To Meet Awesome People On The Mountain Though & I Could Tell Within Minutes You Guys Were Great People & Hunters!

Again,Nice Job On The Bull!

Yes I remember you. We did not see the 8x8 but killed my bull not far from where we met on MP Mountain .

Ya!

That Day We Talked To You Guys There Were A Few Bulls Around Us!

We Didn't Screw With Any Of Them Or Educate Them, We Were Just Extra Eyes For A Friend!

After We Talked To You Guys We Went Out On The End & Glassed In The Canyon & got A Glimpse Of a Couple Bulls But They Were Staying Shaded Up For The Most Part!

When We Left We Stopped At The Main Road Just Through The Gate & Were Talking!

My Son Says:I Just Heard A Bugle Below Us!

Then We Heard A Truck!

Sure Enough!

Some JOKER Driving Up The Road With His Bugle Out The Window Bugling Once In A While Flying Up The Road at Good Rate Of Speed!

I'm Like: WTH Is That All About?

I Wish We Woulda Been Down There While You Were Hunting,We Woulda Damn Sure Helped You Pack That Elk Out,But That Was My 2nd Trip Down & Ya,We Had To Go Back Home The Next Day!

It's Always Nice To Meet Awesome People On The Mountain Though & I Could Tell Within Minutes You Guys Were Great People & Hunters!

Again,Nice Job On The Bull!
Thank you it was nice to meet you too and as I stated before we meet very nice people and you were one of them. If lighting strikes twice and I get a tag we might meat again

I want to say thank you to all that helped me with advice and information with my hunt. This was an experience I won’t forget. A special thanks to my brother Steve and hunting partner who took this time off from work to guide and help pack out the elk I harvested. Also to my son Dustin who flew in from Florida to be my pack mule. More to come

B7AF8038-E554-490E-8F84-9EFFFEE4953C.jpeg

783F8D21-8BD4-4EF2-B361-A35DCDA01431.jpeg

F39053A6-A54A-4BB1-A4DD-3B1E2BD4955A.jpeg

96512CF4-19CE-490F-A369-DC4EF391D75A.jpeg

0E2819F1-DA18-4A94-937F-F8AA6C12B333.jpeg

60B9822B-DD75-46BD-8DFE-0452D5687C00.jpeg

F1BE2310-0540-451C-A780-0846A4FC104C.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom