San Juan Elk Ridge Archery Deer

T

tacticalbowhunter

My freind drew the San juan Archery deer tag this year after 10 years putting in. Have any of you had any experience on this unit? I have never been there. What caliber of bucks does this unit hold? thanks for any help and hopefully i can return the favor.

been talking to some folks and they aren't seeing the type of bucks or the amount of deer they normally see, If I was you I would get down there and do some scouting and see what you can turn up by getting off the roads. Good luck there is always a few good ones taken each year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Just shoot one of the elk ridge big 2 points they need taken out of the genetic pool, there is some good bucks but a lot of crappy bucks that need shot.

Better get down there and see what roads get closed.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 07:12?PM (MST)

how do you get to hunt 3 out of 6 years on a LE unit?
you pouching , suckin on someone or extemely lucky

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]My hunting group puts in seperate and when some one draws we all go down for the trip. Seeing the bucks down their is better than hunting general archery.

This buck was shot on the San Juan in 1994, When I was 15 years old he's 33 inches wide and is a 6 X 4. Last time I hunted it in 2004 and couldn't harly find a buck with 4 on both sides. It has gone down hill over the years. So I Shot a management buck 23 inch 3 x 3 with 3 browtines on one side and two in the other lots of hight and 8 inch bases.

2377img_6589.jpg

8023img_6587.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 11:53PM (MST)[p]Just to add some excitement to the hunt

(DISCLAIMER RESULTS NOT COMMON)
We have extensive time on this mountain and we know most of the good places. They are far and few between.

2006 bucks Dads 27" 6X6 lots of mass
1616buckp1.jpg

9154buckp2.jpg

2006 Brothers 4X4 29"
7465buck_j1_230.jpg

2008 Brother last day Buck 24" 4X4
1564johns_buck.jpg

Sorry these last picture are picture of my computer screen. For some reason the pictures I saved off my JVC recorder post up as a black blob.

This 28 inch 6X6 we passed opening day at 11 yards. We left him bedded next to the road that was a mistake. Blacky's crew found him and shot him at 11 yards. He scored 208 points and is a 6X6. We figured he would be a good 3rd or 4th day buck.

8108img_6596.jpg

This buck is the reason we pass the 6X6.
My bro had several chances at this one but couldn't connect. We figured him at 36" 4X4.

7916img_6599.jpg

I like the white tail looking buck he was a 6x6 pushing 30 but pretty ugly.

5944img_6597.jpg

That some nice Elk Ridge bucks.

PM sent, Here is a last years buck, we watched him through the archery season and took during the any weapon. Although wasn't a first choice is a good buck.
6183misc_pics_383.jpg

5727misc_pics_381.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom