San Juan Hunt

B

bggmhtr

If you have a tag for this unit this year, I would be willing to help. No need to pay the outrageous money Outfitters charge to hunt this area. All you need is for someone to show you the area and you will be able to have the same chance they do to harvest a magnificent animal. I am not a guide but I believe that anyone who draw's this special tag should have the same opportunity to harvest a mature bull without paying the high cost of a guide. I am willing to do this at no charge. If you are interested feel free to contact me on this website.

DO YOU SUPPLY THE PERMIT TOO???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

Way to go!!! Most of us will never see a quality tag like the San Juan.
You just saved some guys marriage, car, and possibly mortgage! When you draw a quality hunt, the pressure to hire an expensive outfitter is almost overwhelming. (Whether you can afford it or not)
For many of us, an outfitter changes the experience. Still hard as He!! to close the deal, but the satisfaction is not the same.
All most guys need is a little help scouting an area they will only hunt once, and hopefully a little help packing out!
You have my respect!

I don't know the exact number of hunters that used a guide last year on the SJ but I'm sure the percentage was probably less then 5%. Either way, according to the harvest reports it looks like almost every one that killed a bull down there harvested a "mature bull"! People you don't need anyone's help on the SJ to kill a mature bull. Just curious bggmhtr what your definition of "outrageous money Outfitters charge," is? If you're not a guide than you have no idea what it might cost to run a hunter for several days on his/her hunt. Some fees are steeper than others but most the time you get what you pay for. Is there a fee that you believe is less outrageous? Different people use guides for different purposes. On the SJ you'll see plenty of mature elk. But if I had a dollar for every 380 bull that every one see's every time they go up there I would be a rich man. That's where a guide can be very helpful on the SJ and worth their "outrageous money"! No offense but your offer sounds (left wing)too much like what we here in the political arrena these days. . .people getting something for nothing. Just be careful you may just get what you do or don't pay for people. Bggmhtr you should have just offered to help (that would have been noble) instead of stereotyping all the outfitters out there.
Adam

bggmhntr your my hero. I'm the same way. Every time I find out someone drew one of my favorite units I offer to borrow them my fully loaded and stocked camper for the hunt as well as free reign of my quads and gas if they will just let me take them to my honey hole so I can watch them shoot a big bull. I totally understand where you come from and applaud you. !

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

Bggmhntr. Let me appologize for saying your offer was Left wing. I was out of line. But I also mentioned that your offer was noble, I just didn't like the outfitter stereotype. I do know a group of outfitters who opporate on the SJ and every year they try to make it possible financially for everyone that has an intrest in hunting with them to do so no matter what their income. They share the love of the hunt like the rest of us and try to help where they can. I know you understand the opporating cost of running a business so there has to be a base line to make a profit or a business fails. I bet if you asked any outfitter how they got started in the business it was probably because they just wanted to hunt their favorite areas but couldn't draw the tag to hunt there every year so they decided to take someone else hunting in their favorite spots. So I say good luck with your offer and i hope you have some takers and get to be a part of their hunt. As for stinkystomper's comment. . .well, we all know who he is. Some people's mentality is to always solve issues with threats and fist fights. I've never liked to be around those type of people. Some of us are a little more intelligent than that.
Adam

I agree. Great offer. Win win. Someone gets some help from another hunter that knows the unit and you get a chance to help on a great hunt. I hope whoever you find becomes a hunting buddy for life.

ROFL! oh man I'm so misunderstood! I tell people that same thing every single day with a smile on my face and we all get a big laugh. I have THE driest sense of humor, but I guess to each his own. Holy crap, I'm about the most laid back, non-confrontational person you will meet (most of the time, yes I'm sorry browtine, and you know what I mean). Yes I have my moments like everyone but you aren't one of my moments. As for my intelligence..... I will try to improve that one. For god sakes doc your probably right. I did buy a dutton tag! Maybe you should come kick my *** for being so stupid! ROFL! Ohhhh you guys get worked up over nothing! Its a danged keyboard and a computer screen. Don't you ever sit back and laugh at yourself wasting time getting mad over words typed on a screen? if you think about it long enough its freakin hilarious. Now lighten up doc and go kick someones ***! It'll make you feel better! LOL! Heck, take a bat to your screen, its the one makin fun of you.

I wonder if the anti hunting groups and PETA people argue amongsts themselves on who's way is better to save animals, the DIY'ers of the ones who like to use the help from profesionals?

My goodness this topic of guides and outfitters gets old!! x(

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

SOME OF YOU ARE STARTING TO PI$$ THE BLACK BOYS OFF!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

PAY ATTENTION JIM!!!

NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE!!!

BEFORE YOU START CALLING ME A BIGOT YOU MIGHT WANNA PULL YOUR HEAD OUT???

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Last time I checked, the "San Juan Hunt" was still a public unit. That being said, all hunters already have the "same chance" or "opportunity" to harvest a magnificent animal.

I am a DIY kind of person, so I applaud the guy that does it completely on his own.

However since the San Juan Unit is 4+ hours away from the bulk of Utah?s population, not to mention the non-residents that draw, many people don't have the ?time? to invest, to really get to know that unit, especially since it's one of the largest units. Add in the fact, that most guys/gals have waited 10+ years to draw, and most really want to make the most of their ?once in a life time? hunt, hence they start looking for help.

Help is defined different for everyone depending on their circumstances. It could come from many areas; maps, word of mouth, DWR Biologist, friend or buddy that has drawn in the past, internet (monstermuleys.com) etc?or from, dare I say it, a ?guide?. Some guys have a max of one or two weeks off a year, they may want to ?do it themselves? but again they don't have the ?time?, but do or may have the ?money?, to get help from someone that does know the unit, and can help that hunter (cuz you still have to hunt) increase their odds of harvesting not just a good bull, (cuz if you can hunt, you don't need a guide to harvest a good bull on the San Juan,) rather increase their odds of taking the bull they have waited so many years to take. If the use a guide, is it then a guarantee, heck no, it's still hunting, but it could and should increase the odds.

If you have never been down here, but are willing to DIY, I will give you some ?free? advice. So if you have a tag for this unit, pay close attention.
Once you get to Monticello, take the mountain road to the west, turn off it and take the road that goes over the mountain to Blanding?..now that you have made it this far, periodically stop, and?? 1st, Look/glass for Cows, they like to feed mornings and evenings, could be on a grassy slope, a good place to start glassing from on the San Juan, is the infamous rock pile (I can give you the GPS cord but its not hard to find, it's at the half way point over the mountain, you may need a parking permit though), if you do get there early enough you can usually get a seat with a rock as a back rest, and sometimes in the mornings someone will come by selling breakfast burritos. Start glassing everywhere. Once you locate cows you shouldn't have to wait to long for a bull or two or three to show up, all trying to get with that one cow, since the ration on the San Juan is about 2 bulls to every cow.
2nd, if you can't find cows, take out a map and look for water, or look for stream crossings, or ponds, add in some food and cover/bedding areas, they usually need these Things, if you find these things, you should again find cows, and therefore some bulls.
3rd, as your driving around on the mountain, look for other hunters stopped along side the road, pretending they are NOT looking at anything?.don't let this fool you, they really are, and just want you to believe that aren't, especially if there is a tripod with a spotting scope attached to it, pointed at the ground. Stop, get out, and start glassing?..my guess is you will see elk.
4th,?..and I only recommend this if the first three have failed??again periodically, get out of your truck and LISTEN for Bugles! You should hear some now and again?..it's what they like to do for some reason in the fall. Sometimes you might have to cow call or bugle a little to get them to start doing it, but they will. I have found that this is a great way to locate elk that many people don't know about. Doing these four things should help you harvest a good mature bull, its really all you need on the San Juan. Good Luck.

????If you don't have the time to DIY, and want to increase your odds of harvesting a great bull, (again no guarantee?s in hunting) I happen to know of several business that do some guiding for elk on the San Juan Unit that have helped many a hunter harvest some great bulls. To name a few,?.MossBack, Sunrise, Bayles, Black Timber Outfitters, and there are others. Anyone of them could do a fine job of ?helping?, they are all trying to run a business and I don't any of them charge ?outrageous fees? most are willing to work with guys on a budget to some extent.

Most people say that score doesn't mean anything to them, that they just want a good mature bull, well we all know that that is not really true, other wise we all wouldn't be asking every time someone posted a pic. Of a bull/animal, ?WHAT DID IT SCORE?? A good experience guide can ?help? the average hunter or even experienced hunter figure out the difference between; for example a 360 bull and a 380 bull?..because a bull in that size range can, and does, and is, impressive from all angles, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Again, Good Luck.

Travis
Blanding, Ut.

Yep, looks like uncle Bessy was right, now you got the Black's all stirred up!

Hammer on him Travis, we got your back! ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

That sounds like great advise Travis. If I ever draw the tag I'm going to try all of those ideas, starting with the rock pile and breakfast burritos, don't want to start hunting with out a full belly. If I kill a monster bull with out you can I still have my picture on BTO's web page?

Last time I checked, the "San Juan Hunt" was still a public unit. That being said, all hunters already have the "same chance" or "opportunity" to harvest a magnificent animal.

So Travis.....

What do you suggest we do if we find a trailor parked across a public road preventing access to this unit? I'm going to be down there for the elk hunt and would like to get some expert advise on what I should do to allow me access to elk on this unit?

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON May-12-09 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]Goodness me, you leave for a few days and look what happens...

Chad, I commend you for your efforts and desire, I know you enjoy the unit and want to be back down here--its fun.

Dr_Death, if you don't know what to do with a trailer that is unhitched and blocking a public road, you need to brush up on your Jeff Foxworthy redneck 101....you hook your ATV up to it and move it....and you hope that the other redneck that left it there is eating lunch when you do. You have obviously lived in CA too long.

Thanks

My gosh Bess I was just pokin a little fun...I know who you were referring to on your post. Can't someone else have a little fun at your expense?

I print this off and hang it on the trailor after I move it. Hopefully it won't be yours.

sorry man, don't even own one. I would love to see one like that though, i would likely move it--kindly of course.

Todd Black
BTO

You guys are completely mindless on this website. You kindly move the trailer. Next you unhook and lower the jack handle on the front of the trailer to its lowest possible point. Then you stand on the trailer hitch and drop a big ol healthy loaf right on the jack handle. Then you use the door handle to wipe that first bit of chunky residue out of your crack. Then you take off one tire and leave it laying politely next to the trailer and have your buddy relieve himself on the lug nuts. Then you politely get back in your vehicle and leave..........

As an after thought, I've seen BTO's website. You might want to check the surrounding area for trail cams. Cuz lord knows they'll make you an internet superstar overnight. ROFL!

Stinky, you've just given us a new visual to your signiture. . . "He who stomps the greatest STINKY wins!" You win my friend, you win!!!lol You will never be forgotten now.
No wonder you like to kick a$$ so often.lol
Adam

........and to think i'm going to be spending about 15 days in the hills with Stinky, what was a thinking when i signed up for THIS deal!!
ROFL!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Dikndirt!!!

WELL I'VE BEEN CALLED LOTS OF NAMES IN MY DAY BUT I AIN'T TAKING THAT ONE!!!

IT DIDN'T SEEM TO BE A JOKE???

BUT IF IT WAS I'M OK WITH IT???

EVERYBODY ALWAYS TRYING TO DO THIS & DO THAT!!!

THAT'S OK I CAN HANDLE IT!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

HERES ANOTHER DEAL!!!

I HAVE MOVED A FEW RIGS ON LE UNITS!!!

YOU EITHER LEAVE THE KEY WHERE I CAN FIND IT OR THERES OTHER GEAR COMMING OUT OF MY TOOL BOX TO MOVE IT WITHOUT A KEY!!!

NO I WON'T HARM IT!!!

NO I WON'T PULL A stinky!!!

I DID MOVE TRAVIS BLACKS HUNTIN RIG ONCE!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

I got to know who would hunt this little unit for elk, Because everyone and his brothers knows that there isn't any elk south of I-70.
Now no-one will say it But I will those Black boys do know a thing or two about that area.
With that said If I was hiring a guide It would be them.

Now I do know Little something about said area and I'm willing to help out any-one who draws a tag and need some help in knowing where to scout and camp.
It like Travis said you can join the circus or find a better spot Me I like to hunt with out the crowd.
Good luck to all those who drew a tag for this unit, You're in for a hunt of a lifetime.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Did you say dinkndirt bessy? was that pointed straight at me? I'll have you know I'll kick your leathery ol *** next! Now apologize! You know who's gonna mount you next if you don't apologize and lord knows I got no control over qtpie!

HEY stinky???

YA GOTTA GET YOUR MIND OFF THE 400"+ BULL & PAY ATTENTION JUST A LITTLE!!!

LOOK UP ON POST # 16 & 24!!!

I WAS TALKING TO DiknDirt!!!

SO THAT'S ALL I HAD TO DO TO GET MOUNTED BY CUTEY PIE???

HELL SAKES!!!

IF I'D OF KNOWN THAT I'D OF SAID SOMETHING LIKE THAT A LONG TIME AGO!!!

((( }> }> }> }> }> !!! )))

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Rule #1 Bessy-
When stinky's dishing it out full bore, it's just best to lay there, take it like a man and let him finish. Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

HEY PUNK!!!

AIN'T NO WAY THAT BIG stinky IN THAT BOY BAND SHIRT IS GETTING ANYWHERE NEAR ME!!!

I'VE GOT 380 DEGREE VISION ALSO!!!

I THINK stinky NEEDS TO RE-READ THE POSTS???

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

The above post is from a great friend of mine and if anyone should take him up offer, I will be there as well to help you out. He and I have hunted together for 24 years and have experienced the best and worst of hunting. You should take him at his word. He is just a good ole boy who wants to help others enjoy the same thrill that he and I both exprienced while hunting in this area. Chad posted posted an email on this page for help four years ago for help in finding a 380 bull. He received a response from an outfitter that told him that the bulls would be behind every other tree. He had one gentleman from Price, Utah that showed him the whole area and welcomed him into his own camp. Chad is grateful everyday for that gentleman and would like to pay it forward to others. We both love the area and would love to help anyone else out that we can.

Oh man did i ever set myself up for that one bessy! I guess I better start proof readin my posts. ROFL, you got issues bessy lol!

hey kjhunterbuds, you guys gonna let us know how the hunt turns out with whoever; hopefully? I hope you guys get hooked up with someone and have a great hunt!

Stinky, thanks. I know if we do get to go it will be a great hunt and we will let you know!

Props to you guys for wanting to help out fellow hunters for free.

I have nothing against guides and outfitters, but the ones who posted on this thread sound like a bunch of whinny b!tches. So the guy wants to help someone out free of charge and you guys attack him for it. WTF?

Perception, most people are not out to help for free, I would bet that there is still another agenda behind this free help, probably trying to create somekind of profile and clients to start up a guiding service, or thinking that he will get a tip for free help...I would bet if someone takes up the offer and these guys help get a good bull that if they are not tipped for service they will be mad that they helped such an ungrateful person...
Also I am just trying to stir the pot a little, lets see if this does..

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 07:24AM (MST)[p]"Also I am just trying to stir the pot a little, lets see if this does.."

Yaaaaaawn....... Terry

Yaaaaawn... but good reading!! ROTFL

To each his own....
I enjoy helping when I can, and I have let others use my camp trailer and atv's before....
I usually get requests by PM rather than advertising my free help but to get on and knock the area guides or all guides in general isn't a good thing.
We are all just trying to survive and hunters are some guides survival.
I've met some good people by trying to help them and developed some great friendships...

Great advise BLACK PREDATOR you described that and every other limited entry unit to a T. I especially liked the spotting scope comment.Freeking hilarious. Come on you all know you have seen that one before. Heck you all know you have did that one before. Hey if a guy can afford to take time off work and help someone for free more power to him.Just my two cents, but from most of the guides I have seen in Utah they work 40 plus hours a week to pay the bills just like the rest of us. They have an undying passion for hunting just like the rest of us. So for them to be able to take a month off in the majical months. They help people out that are willing to pay. I would imagine if you saw the #s they aren't making any more than at their day jobs. They are just doing what they love. I would be willing to bet there are very few guides getting rich at it. Take it for what its worth.

There is about 2 or 3 guys I have helped in the SJ unit(mainly on the Blues) for elk And they all sent pictures of some really nice bulls and posted said pictures on MM. You know what I got just what was offered a Huge THANK YOU and a offer to help me sometime on a hunt if the know the area I draw. The way some of you are gun shy you would think you live in Gangland USA where nothing is safe.. Wait that where I live. Are you my neighbor.

I hope some-one out there with a tag gets a hold of these guys and have a good time and hunt together.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

My dad drew a tag for the early rifle hunt. We'll be down there alot scouting. Any info could really help.

>Yaaaaawn... but good reading!! ROTFL
>
>
>To each his own....
>I enjoy helping when I can,
>and I have let others
>use my camp trailer and
>atv's before....
>I usually get requests by PM
>rather than advertising my free
>help but to get on
>and knock the area guides
>or all guides in general
>isn't a good thing.
>We are all just trying to
>survive and hunters are some
>guides survival.
>I've met some good people by
>trying to help them and
>developed some great friendships...
>

+1!!!!!!!!!!!

Having had this tag in the past....and having ate a delicious tag soup afterwards...I would listen to the Blacks. Travis and Todd know what they are talking about and know the mountain well. That said, remember that nothing (not even a SJ tag) is a sure thing....

HEY SEE ANY DEER???

HOPEFULLY THE BIG STINKY BULL TRACK SOUP WAS SELF INFLICTED???

OR ARE YOU THE GUY I SEEN DOWN THERE SEVERAL YEARS AGO THAT WAS DRUNK BY 8:00 AM SCREAMING THERE WERE NO ELK ON S.J.???

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

I was just wondering if I could get the phone number to the author of this post? I have some questions about the unit. Thanks

Wish I could get i could get lucky enough too draw a tag ! I live in MO. YOU guy's suck living there where they are at ,I have killed 5 bulls . Elk are awesome the best thing that there is to hunt . We have Huge deer around , have a 207 mounted but that does not even compare to the big BULL !!!!!!!!

I met a very good friend in 2007 while scouting for my ML hunt towards the end of the rifle hunt on the dutton. He was camped below my family and noticed his truck in camp for once so I pulled in. He was tired and BLOODY. I asked him to follow me to my camp so I could ditch my rig and tell my wife where I was heading. Spent the afternoon quartering and caping a very nice bull and loved every minute, do it again in a heart beat!

Chad, I hope you guys have a good hunt.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom