San Juan Motorcycles

2pines

Ive been down scouting a few times on the Ut San Juan elk unit. There looks to be a lot of single track trails for motorcycles. Has anyone scouted with a motorcycle or even used one for hunting down there?

Yes, and a bunch of that stuff on the Abajo's is quite technical. If you are a super good dirt bike rider you could make it work, but for the most part it's pretty tough work with a bow or rifle and all your spotting gear to keep from blowing up.

I did most of my hunting in 2010 off a WR250F. All the stuff off Shay Ridge, Aspen Flats, Indian Creek and all the trails over the Abajo's are epic, but you better be damn strong and capable on single track to get back and forth between the mtn road and Foy (Spring) Lake. If you were to kill an elk over there in Robertson Pasture and you get it out on a dirt bike, you'd be a big time hero.

Baby head to basket ball roller rocks and pretty tight switchbacks will work you big time.

On the other hand, Elk Ridge is suited to dirt bikes much better you'd be able to get most anywhere over there on one.

Check out my "Lucky 25" hunt adventure challenge from 2010 if you want to see all my pics from my archery hunt in 2010.

Did the whole thing on my WR including packing out my elk over on elk ridge. Carrying 85 lbs loads on a tall dirt bike when you're only 5'7" can be interesting to say the least.

Either way, enjoy, that would be a pipe dream to draw that one again before I'm 75 :)

Cheers,
Pete

Yes, and a bunch of that stuff on the Abajo's is quite technical. If you are a super good dirt bike rider you could make it work, but for the most part it's pretty tough work with a bow or rifle and all your spotting gear to keep from blowing up.

I did most of my hunting in 2010 off a WR250F. All the stuff off Shay Ridge, Aspen Flats, Indian Creek and all the trails over the Abajo's are epic, but you better be damn strong and capable on single track to get back and forth between the mtn road and Foy (Spring) Lake. If you were to kill an elk over there in Robertson Pasture and you get it out on a dirt bike, you'd be a big time hero.

Baby head to basket ball roller rocks and pretty tight switchbacks will work you big time.

On the other hand, Elk Ridge is suited to dirt bikes much better you'd be able to get most anywhere over there on one.

Check out my "Lucky 25" hunt adventure challenge from 2010 if you want to see all my pics from my archery hunt in 2010.

Did the whole thing on my WR including packing out my elk over on elk ridge. Carrying 85 lbs loads on a tall dirt bike when you're only 5'7" can be interesting to say the least.

Either way, enjoy, that would be a pipe dream to draw that one again before I'm 75 :)

Cheers,
Pete
I walked some of the moto trails on the Abajos and was thinking no way would I want to ride the trails I walked with a pack and rifle. I think Ill just stick to hiking them but was curious if anyone takes advantage of them. Sounds a little out of my comfort zone.

Horses are your friend in those places C3 hunted for sure.
I have walked so of those trails and just walking them was hard.

Ill have to start a thread to see if anyone knows of a pack out service down there. Im sure guides etc are busy guiding and is not what they want to do but for the $ I would think they would. Will be solo and hate to get one down in a hole without some backup.

Cheers,
Pete
^^^^ This

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom