Sangre de Christo mulies!

Catfishcory

Anyone have experience hunting this range for mulies? Put in and did not get drawn last year. So this year will be putting in again. Looking at the basins on east side. Anyone have info on likelyhood I will be drawn, or any info on the basins I'm referring to? Feel free to PM or reply here. Thanks in advance. Can't wait to hear from y'all

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-16 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]Although a little dated, here is my buck from the west side of the Sangres. He is an 8x7 and 29" wide.

http://www.monstermuleys.com/photos/PhotosID9/22.html

You don't give us enough info to help you. What weapon, what season, and how many points do you have?

Mine was the early September rifle season.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-16 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]

I scored him at mid 180s. He would probably score better if I stripped the velvet off, but not going to do that. Are you a resident or nonresident?

Here is a link to how many points to get drawn, along with other interesting things:

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics-Deer.aspx

For the most part, east side basins are easier to access and therefore get more traffic. That is why I went on the west side. You can figure a way in around private on the west, or hike over from the east. Just don't expect to see lots of deer. Many basins are empty of mature bucks and you have to keep moving until you find one that has decent bucks

txhunter58

txhunter58, that's a nice buck. I hate to hijack the thread, but I have a question for you. You mentioned your deer would score better with the velvet stripped. I was always under the impression that the extra mass from the velvet actually increased the score, not decreased it. Would you mind telling me what I am missing? Thx.

Grizzly

You may be right and it might come out a wash. But in my case, there are several points that are just barely short of be counted as a point with the velvet. However, if the velvet were gone, they would probably make a point. But with the mass loss, it might come in around the same.

txhunter58

txhunter58,

Of all the years of reading your posts about Colorado hunting here on MM I think this is the first time I have seen a picture of you. Clearly an old post given the references to deerking (a sad story there) and the old-time MM thumbs up in the picture. Thanks for sharing.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-16 AT 06:00AM (MST)[p]Here is the finished product:

2328muliemount2.jpg

4705muliemount3.jpg

Hard to believe it was 12 seasons ago!

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom