Sargent 4th MB hunt

flymetyme

Hi, my wife drew this hunt and I'm looking for some insight on this hunt.Can anybody help with some info on the Sargent's 4th MB Elk hunt, Where to rent some horses and if it is necessary to pack it in or just hunt from the camp ground. I'm a pretty good at stalking and hunting on foot but was told your better off using horses in this area? My wife's first wack at a MB

Horses are pretty nice to use in this area, if not most likely use a game cart in the valley to pack your elk out, although you Don't have to have horses to get in there and kill a elk.

You are not allowed to pack in and camp. You have to stay in town or at the campground.
The hunting is easy. There are lots of elk, but not really big bulls. Do not shoot the first 5x5 you see. A 300" 6x6 bull is a decent one for this area and definitely achievable.

You do not need to hunt off horses, it is easy walking. When you get one down it is very nice to have a horse to pack it out because with the gentle terrain it is easy to end up several miles from the parking area.

My son and I hunted 2nd season last year. Weather was good and we got a 300 bull. Horses would be very helpful, some were riding bicycles but were not prepared for the demand of the trip in and out. Lots of people just come and camp and dont take this hunt serious, it is a good hunt.I know that on three of the hunts not much effort went to not many elk being killed. Weather can play a roll on how well you can come and go by 4th hunt could be as much as couple foot of snow. Had friends that hunted 3rd hunt last year it snowed moved elk in and helped elk numbers to rise due to migration out of Colorado. Rented horses last summer to scout but wasn't easy to find took our own for the hunt.

Hunted there twice, both times with horses. I wouldn't do it any other way. You can get way up top near the border of Oso Pardo if you leave in the dark and glass all the elk as they are coming up to there beds, plus all the other hunters will push the elk right to you if you are already up high. Horses are the way to go in Sargents.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom