Sargent Suggestions

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Hey guys, myself and one other MM member (joesikora) drew the first rifle hunt for the Sargent. I've hiked my brains out in the unit and even taken a couple of buddies who drew one of the later hunts but had never elk hunted in their lives on their hunts in the Sargent. We harvested a couple of 300" bulls on those hunts but they were over before they started. I'm very stoked to have the fortune to have drawn this hunt and was wondering if anyone has any photos, stories, or advice for Joe and me. It sure would make my summer pass a bit faster! I know a couple of decent spots and plan on doing a ton of scouting before and after the archery hunts to locate a good bull or two. I would appreciate any info or stories that I can get about the hunt. I'm very aware (and appreciative) of the roadless aspect of this hunt, camping restrictions, etc. As you can imagine I'm excited and would love to hear and learn about what your past experiences/hunts or advice would be.

Thanks,

Cody

30inch, didn't you knock a nice one down in there last year? Looked but couldn't find the story or pics in the archives. Would you mind reposting the pics of your bull? I'd appreciate it.

As for horses, I'm definitely going to rent one if and when I knock a bull down as my buddies and I packed both of their bulls out on our backs. Not the hardest pack outs I've had by any means but it's worth the $ to have a horse do the work. I usually get way back and set up before the outfitters get in there despite the fact that it requires some very early stinking mornings. Some of those guys leave at like 2:30 in the morning...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom