Satelite communicators, help

hossblur

Long Time Member
Im not a back country warrior. But my 2 hunting buddies are 14 and 9, and we start in Aug, and wont wrap until the end of waterfowl. That's a lit of time where dad can get hurt, or have issues out of service. My deer camp is us, and a bunch of Medicare recipients. Lot of old guys who abused themselves for a long time. And I want tgem back next year. So i seem to be coming into the market

Im familiar with Garmin. But im seeing other, cheaper options.

Talk to me about communicators if you would

I use the Garmin inreach mini and like it a lot. Easy to use, compact and nice to have the month to month option for the service plans.

Cell coverage is the best, but we also have an InReach and we take it as a back up if we are out of coverage. I don't know about any cheaper options, but the Inreach has been good for us.

You know that saying about when you need a cop they are minutes away? Well backcountry rescue is in the hours category.

Your hunting buddies are old enough to learn basic life saving techniques that might keep you or others alive long enough to survive.

PLB's are all well and good but don't rely on them for immediate help.

I have been looking at them for a while. I just can’t decide. But I am thinking a satellite phone is the best option. No messing around you need to call someone you just do it. I know it’s not the cheapest option. But plans are getting more affordable every year. I am going to try one more thing before I jump. Phoneskope sells a cell phone booster for trucks and cabins. I am using the truck booster and it’s great. Going to try the cabin one next it’s more powerful then the mobile unit.

I used the inreach mini this year in Utah canyons on a sheep hunt and it was awesome. Paid for the 1 month of unlimited and had zero problems texting as much as I wanted anywhere I was that had no cell coverage. I was even able to text from inside my little rv with no cell coverage and get through. Would text the wife to let her know all was good and she was able to text me back all night if she needed me. I think you have to initiate the texts. Most would go through in about 30 seconds out to about 2 minutes on the slow ones. I’m seeing them on sale right now for $249. That’s about $100 off regular price. Cheapest plans started about $15 for a month of service and another $20 or so to activate it.
The only thing I hated was you need to pair it to your cell phone to really use it and when it got down into the teens my phone battery would die and had I not had a portable charger it would basically be useless for texting back even with the sos.

I carry an inreach that I bought back when it was Delorme and have really liked it for what it is. BigFin did a YouTube video comparing Garmin to Zoleo that may be helpful. I haven't watched it to know the difference but there might be some good info there since you're in the market.

But I am thinking a satellite phone is the best option. No messing around you need to call someone you just do it. I know it’s not the cheapest option. But plans are getting more affordable every year.
In my experience, a satellite phone for emergency use is the least reliable option. They rarely work in mountainous terrain, or under tree cover, or even thick cloud cover. If you have an accident and can't move, you're relying on the slim chance that you ended up in an advantageous spot for satellite access. On the other hand, the InReach and other texting devices will almost always send your message, even if it takes a couple of minutes to get it sent. The device just keeps working to send the message. But with a Sat Phone, even Iridium, it'll just drop your call, if it can get through at all. In the times I've carried an Iridium phone in the mountains in the past, I've never needed it for an emergency. But I do make some calls and I'd guesstimate a 20% success rate at getting a call out. Sometimes even with a clear view of the horizon in all directions, it still won't call out. With my InReach, I'd guess that overall, sending messages has been roughly 90% successful.

Been using spot messenger for years. I have a older version but i can set up a ok button that text or emails whoever i want that i am ok . It includes gps coordinates and a link to google maps where i am. Another button i have setup is i need help but just send my dad. Could be a minor injury or horse issues.

The last 2 is to call search rescue cause i am in trouble or the final is s.o.s and that button is sending the chopper my way. For $124 a year i think it is a great investment.

It brings comfort to my family that i can send a message i am ok when i am out of service for long periods of time.. i usaully inform them i will a couple a day. Well last week on my dads late season elk hunt we didnt get back to the horse trailer till 11pm and of course the family was worried

I’ve been using Spot for years, I got the new spot messenger this fall and it worked great for checking in, your insured to be flown out of anywhere, it takes a little time for texts to go through. I only use this to check in at night

I have the inReach SE+. It my package costs 12 dollars a month. I have three different texts that I can send for free as much as I want. I'm okay just starting the day, I'm okay just finished the day. And my last one is I'm okay but need help. I will text who I need to help me.
I have used mine a bunch. To send a message to make sure my son checked on my dogs. To see find out the condition of a loved one back home in the hospital.
This year I fell and screwed up my shoulder. I was able to send a message to get help and to let my wife know I was okay.
I won't go anywhere without it.

CAN’T skimp on safety when your life may be in the balance.
We have ACR PLB’s personal locator beacon. Sends emergency signal to satellites with gps coordinates. When you register unit has your name, age, medical history, current meds etc. Search and Rescue who you are and health history before the arrive at your location, Priceless.....

I have the Garmin Montana 700i. It is real good to be able to check in to home when there is no cell service. I have a booster in my truck, but many places it still will not get out. It is good to be able to check in and see how everything is at home. On a lot of sheep hunts there is no kind of cell service, so it is nice to have this as a way to check in and if every needed it could save someone. My wife tracks me on the computer when I send her updates, it sends a message and the location on a map.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom