Satellite Phones

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Does anyone have experience using satellite phones, say in remote areas where there is no cell coverage or in Canada or Alaska. I know, I know, the first thing some people will think is why would a guy want to take a phone on a hunt like that, but I have my reasons for considering it.

They are still too expensive to own in my opinion, but I see they are available to rent by the day/week/month. The cost per minute is going to curb any calls just to shoot the bull. But for emergencies or where there is a specific need to be able to check in at home they would have their place.

Anybody ever tried one?

NVB/H,

Send a message to Huntsonora as I remember some time ago there was a rather lenghtly thread concerning these and I think he was into them because of being down in Mexico. It's worth a try, drop him a line.

Brian

I've used them in Mexico and Alaska with no problems and rent don't buy. Although they are getting very reasonable.

JB

I have used them in the military. Nothing better if you get in a jam and need some assistance. Like you said, only thing holding most people back is the cost.

S/F

Rented one from Global Satellite for a hunt in Idaho this year-worked perfect. $7 bucks a day and $1 and change a minute to use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom