satellite phones

scoot

Just wondering if anybody uses a satellite phone and how usefull are they. And if anybody knows a good place to rent one for about 10 days while hunting at the henrys mountains. Because of what happened last time down there we really could use one this time.

I have used them several times and they are great! Do to work I have always taken one and then I found out the peace of mind that comes in knowing everyone is fine on the home front is more than worth it. It made the hunts much more enjoyable.

I used one for the first time in Alaska 2 weeks ago and they work surprisingly well. When doing my research, I was warned by several people to stay away from anything but Iridium phones. Apparently Iridium's have by far the best satellite reception and transmit capabilities, though I don't know anything about the technology that makes it so. Used mine day or night to check in on the homefront for 8 days and never had a problem.

I am heading out on the Utah ML next week. I have hunted alone for many years, but my wife had some extra concern this year and she has been bow hunting with me and recognizes the difficulty to find cell service every day or so. She researched on line and found a site that charges $9.00 a day and no shipping charges. Actual calls are a bit pricey, it think about $2.00 per minute. I can't recall the site, but will find out if you have interest. But for about $15.00 a day I can keep peace, priceless.

I apperciate all your comments I think i am sold on renting a phone the last time we were down at the henry mountains scouting for deer we got trapped in between the washes on the notom side sandy wash and the sweetwater wash we were about 10 hours late from when we were supposed to be home my wife was just getting ready to call out the search and rescue for us when i finaaly got cell phone service at 11.30 pm we were supposed to be home before lunch. It did not help that my wife was 8 months pregenant at the time ethier. thanks again for your comments.

As Sneak recommended go with iridium. Stay away from Globalstar. I have used both and they are not equal. In fact I have a friend who went with globalstar for a recent fishing trip in Canada due to the lower cost. He had 30 second windows of reception every hour, but that is it.

+1 on the Iridium and and the mobalrental site. That is where I have one ordered from for next week. My wife is great at research and this seems to be the best deal.

Hi there,
Strongly recommend ROSS OUTDOORS in Phoenix, az. I've rented them often and again for upcoming elk hunt in colorado.
They ship the phone anywhere with all the extras and I like the Irridian for best reception. Also, can rent any kind of optics, etc and they have complete archery shop at same location.
try: dave at 602-386-1266 or rossoutdoors.com and tell them charles from Calif sent you

good luck on your hunts

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom