savage model 11

WAstickslinger

I was wondering if anyone is really impressed with the Savage model 11. I bought a Model 11 22-250 about 4 years ago and to this day I cannot seem to dial it in. It is just a model 11, it doesn't say 11F or 11 anything else, just 11. It does not have the accutrigger but it does have the floated barrel. About how much do they sell for used, I might be interested in getting rid of it. It has a 6-18X50 Bushnell Banner. Any tips would be appreciated. At 100 yards I am luck to group a 6 inch pattern.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-06 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]Had the same problem. Bought a Savage model 11 about 5 years ago, may have been a model 116. Anyway, could never get a tight group. All I ever heard was how accurate these guns were out of the box. Not for me. It was also a 22-250. Sold it for 100.00 less than what I paid for it.

Old buddy and I took his 11 out a couple of years ago to the range. He's all excited with his new rifle and some really hot 40-gr Hornadys.
Couldn't hit squat. I tried it. KEYHOLED the round at 25 yds.!
Went and got a box of 55 gr. Winchesters. Punched dimes with these rounds. P-dogs watch out, here we come.
Going from 4150 muz. vel. to 3680 made the whole difference in this particular case. I suggested to him barrel twist might be a
factor--never got into really figuring it out, though. He's happy, so me too.

Mike

I am shooting 45 GR Winchester. They are high velocity, 4000 FPS. So you think that they are wild because they are so hot. I guess I will try a round with a lower muzzle velocity and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.

Sure, slinger, I do hope it helps. In my friend's situation, it was an inexpensive fix to an ugly-looking target paper.
The part that bugs me is the limitation of the weapon--he can't shoot anything but a heavy bullet--but at least he found what it likes. I was very surprised by the difference in results.
Wouldn't have believed it without shooting it myself. Kinda peculiar to see for a die-hard Savage-ite like me, though.

Mike

As soon as I collect enough brass I will be able to start reloading the 22-250's. I think I will be able to use the lighter bullet and back off the powder and get the same results don't you think?

Sounds like a good idea and worth the try. Stabilization of the bullet has to be attainable down that line somewhere.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-06 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]Savages are crazy guns in my opinion, I have a model 12fv in a 22-250 and it is the pickiest gun I have ever had as far as what it will shoot at a tight group, then I have a Savage 308 in the 10 fp that will put any load any time in the same dime size area. Let us know how your reloads go, I started to try a bunch of reloads in my 22-250, but still haven't found anything real consistant.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom