Save the Uinta Bighorns

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Those interested in preserving and ultimately expanding Bighorn range in Utah have an opportunity to have your voice heard.
Domestic sheep grazing allotments are up for review in the Uintas. The forest service is taking public comment until the end of December on the impact of domestic sheep to the region. Domestic sheep carry deseases that are deadly to wild bighorn sheep and since the wild sheep are expanding into these allotments the continuation of domestic grazing in these areas could be devastating to our wild sheep. If you recreate in the area you might also comment about the diminished experience of domestic sheep wandering through your camp.

The Forest Service is seeking thoughtful public comments and possible solutions to the conflict. It is important that sportsmen let their opinions be heard on this matter. Please take the time to thoughtfully comment with your name and address.

Here is the link to the Forest Service notice with more information: http://rutalocura.com/north_slope

Email comments can be sent to:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Or you can write to:
David Whittekiend
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache
National Forest Supervisor
857 West South Jordan Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095

We can complain all we want about declining sheep numbers with no results, but here is a chance to possibly make a difference.

My thoughtful public comment will be tendered.
Thanks, LBH, for the heads-up.
Zeke

Thanks LBH. They will get my 2 cents worth. I really don't want to see domestic sheep up there. Rutnbuck

Thank LBH for the heads up. I spend a lot of time in those areas. I can't express enough how detracting it is to come across a herd of domestics or even hiking through were they've recently been. Not to mention the wild bighorn concerns.

Comments sent.

Remember that the USFS has a multiple use mandate, so simply stating that you don't like domestic sheep will not be considered relevant. Your comments need to be concise and relevant to the proposed action. For this particular EIS, I would suggest asking the USFS to use the results of the ongoing R4 bighorn sheep risk assessment to evaluate the risks these allotments pose to bighorn sheep, and ask them to not authorize domestic sheep grazing in allotments that pose elevated risk. It is also important to note that "best management practices" have not been scientifically proven effective to create effective separation, and therefore the USFS should not rely solely on BMP to maintain effective separation in their decision.

It is important to note that they have gone from an EA to an EIS. An EIS is prepared when a proposed action will have a significant effect on the quality of the environment. The end product of an EIS is a Record of Decision (ROD), versus an EA which results in a Finding Of No Significant Impact (FONSI). That means that they already know their proposed action will likely have an adverse impact on the environment.

If you want to learn more about how to, effectively, check out the following link:
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...r.53208.File.dat/A_Citizens_Guide_to_NEPA.pdf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom