SB196 from NR perspective

wymoosehunter

Just wanted to add my perspective on the SB 196 debacle. I am just an ordinary Joe making ordinary Joe wages, married to an expat New Mexicana, and our son just became of age to hunt in most states. The three of us have sat down and looked at finances and hunt opportunities and established a game plan for all of us. Our game plan included New Mexico. I have hunted NM twice, once for mountain lion with an outfitter (total rip-off w/an unethical outfitter), and a DIY hunt for Oryx (a great adventure). My wife has hunted NM twice, both for Oryx, and both great experiences (WSMR and an off-range hunt).
When I really started chasing tags, I put in applications to 12 states (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, UT, NV, CO, AZ, NM, and TX) and because of how states have shown poor judgment/treatment to the NR hunters that apply in their respective states, I have quit applying in Oregon (the current title holder of the worst), Washington, (close runner up), and Utah (making a break for the top spot), because of how they have screwed NR sportsmen in the draw processes and the very negligible return on limited dollars for the applicant.
I have been burned by too many states when it comes to the chase the points/change the rules in the middle game and as such, carefully evaluate how I am going to spend my limited dollars for applications.
New Mexico went from one of the most friendly (although expensive) towards NR hunters (tied with Wyoming), to a proposal that will make it somewhere between Utah and Oregon (which is sucking hind teat). Gone will be my $15,400 (yes, $15.4K) in $ that we send the state of NM for the chance to draw a tag for sheep, oryx, and ibex every year. I know that between my family and my other hunting partners that come with us to NM, we have spent at least $15k in tags, travel, motels, restaurants, and other things, enriching NM with our $. That will end with passage of SB 196. We will drop NM as a place we spend our $ on applications, but more importantly, NM will lose out on our $ that we won't leave behind by not hunting in NM. Add that up with the huge number of other NR's who will feel the same way, and NM becomes another F&G disaster like Oregon and Idaho (and soon Utah).
I, for one , will be lobbying the legislators of my home state for a reciprocal law regarding the allocation of tags. It will essentially be do unto others as they do unto you. For example, all California hunters will be limited to only one (1) elk tag and (1) sheep tag for all of Wyoming because that is the maximum that NR?s are restricted to in California. Utah hunters will only be eligible for a handful of premium tags as that is all they allocate for the NR. New Mexico hunters would only be eligible for 2% of the tags across the board (outfitter welfare tags would not count as part of the 10%). I would also advocate a provision for like fees. So NM hunters would have to pay the same for a WY tag as a NR would pay for a like tag in NM. Additionally, I will lobby to get rid of WY policy of giving at least 25% (deer and antelope is over 40%) of our tags away to the damned NR?s who want to hunt here. We as Wyomingites need to keep them all for ourselves and screw the other citizens of this country who have no damn business coming to our state and taking our precious resources that we could keep for ourselves. Tit-for-Tat. (This is satire, as it will only spur additional angst and ill-will among sportsmen and does not make economic sense. But it does make the point).
Short sightedness on behalf of stupid legislators and egged on by selfish idiots (not just in NM), and in- fighting between hunters will only lead to more encroachment by the anti-hunting crowd and further restrict our heritage and sport. I would ask that each sportsman/woman in NM think this through and come to an objective and reasoned decision and make sure that this does not pass the NM legislature.
WyMo

Well said! Everyone seems to forget that we are all non residents in every state except for one. It is really sad to see the way things are changing for the non residents across the country. What happened to one nation, under God,INDIVISABLE?

1Bigbull

Everyone just looks out for themselves is the problem.If one state has a bad sytem then all should is how most look at it now.Everyone complains about each others states but now all want this stupid 10% limits to get a few more tags.Then when there herd sizes go down for lack of funding all will be crying.Plus as we all fight the anti hunting groups get stronger.I just hate to see that my 12 year old son will not get to enjoy hunting the west like I did.I still hold out hope it will not pass when all the true numbers get looked at.The lost just in tag sales can not be made up by some 90.00 lic. to apply next year.I feel bad for the people who make a living on us out of staters because they will be fighting for alot less non res hunters.But who care as long as 10 more res. get to hunt 16d next year.They will spend just as much after all they buy all there stuff in new mexico so that will make up for all the non res money lost.What a joke and lie most believe it to.

Let me give a slightly different NR perspective. If SB 196 passes, my big game hunting passion is in serious jeopardy. I live in El Paso and NM is my hunting home. I don't apply anywhere else. I have done the following hunts over the years:

Guadalupe Mountains for deer: 10 seasons

Brokeoff Mountains for deer: 2 seasons

Cooke's Peak area for deer: 3 seasons

San Mateos Mnts for deer: 3 seasons

Capitan Mountains for deer: 1 season

Caballo Mountains for deer: 2 seasons

Sacramento Mountains for elk: 4 seasons

Unit 15 for cow elk: 3 seasons

Cimarron area for cow elk: 2 seasons

I don't take ths shotgun approach to drawing Western tags. My kids are just reaching the age where they too can hunt. I don't know what I will do if SB 196 passes in its current form. If it does, I think I will be negatively impacted perhaps more than anyone.

I am a resident of NM but I agree this bill is BS. I would like to see NR. tags set at 15% with no outfitter pref. but for ALL species, Oryx, Ibex and Bighorn included. I think the wrong fight was picked with this bill and nobody is going to come out ahead except for outfitters and land owners.( big surprise there) I don't understand why there was not as big of a push to first repeal Jennings law and then restructure the land owner tags.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-11 AT 08:01PM (MST)[p]Most of those were pre-draw days for deer and my NM hunts span 29 years.

blm totally agree.I am not sure about just throwing the outfitters under the bus though.maybe like 8% for each non res group would work for 16% total. I total agree all tags should be in that way.Non res should not be able to draw all the sheep tags.I think the landowner tags is what needs the most work done.Some should be still given but for the right reason and to the right ranches.All should give up something to work out this problem

wymoose, We've all been burned by these point cheapening schemes. The only good thing about all this NM politics is we can't get our points screwed because we don't have any. I wholeheartedly agree with your reciprocity suggestion. There are a few states here out east that have instituted such laws. Although it would be more complex out west, I believe it is possible and will occur some day.......soon.

I have a few reservations about this bill, but not a lot. Way to long have NR's and outfitters enjoyed 22% of NM public tags. That number is way to high and has been since the start. Why do you think there are so many outfitters in NM? Take a look at the public tag allotment...combine that with private tag allocation, and what you have is an insane market for greedy outfitters and landowers. Now, with that being said, I'm not sure 8/2 is the way to go, although I'm not sure more than 10% should be allocated to NR's either. I just can't decide on that. I think 15% is still to high..perhaps 12% or so.
If this bill passes, or is amended to a different percentage (say 12-15%), sure, some outfitters will lose out and be forced to close up shop. Good. Welcome to capitalism, where the best survive, and the rest fall off. It happens in the corporate world every day...what's so different/special about the outfitting world? Nothing. (This is coming from someone who wants to open an outfitting business at some point down the road..just fyi)
For the loss of revenue issue...not convinced either.
I think the amount of revenue that NM residents spend on hunting trips each year is largely overlooked by you NR's. All i hear about is "our high tag fees" and "travel expenses"...yada yada yada. Are you all so nieve that you think Residents don't travel across our own state to hunt/scout? Do you think those hunting/scouting trips are free and our trucks and atv's burn air? Does food sprout up from a magic tree and our bows, guns and muzzleloaders replenish ammo and supplies from thin air? Nope, it costs a bundle for us each and every time we go. And as Residents, I daresay that we scout considerably more than the average NR being that we live here. We buy our gear here (when we can..i think cabelas benefits a bunch from every state), our food here, our trucks and atv's and camp trailers here. We buy gas from even the smallest of towns, and support local sporting goods shops. I'm pretty sure that the current 78% resident revenue largely outweighs that of the NR's revenue, especially the portion that goes back to the STATE. That big chunk of change you fork over to that outfitter doesn't benefit me, NM, our Residents or our herds in any fashion. Sure the food, gas and license fees you pay does...but not your outfitter fee. Keep that in mind.
I'm not saying any of this as an anti-NR rant, just making a few points. Outfitters survive in those other "horrible" states you mentioned...and they can here to. Frankly I'll be grateful to see more tags in the hands of residents, and our youth.
It does make it tougher for NR's to draw tags, but in some aspects, I'm ok with that. I guess all in all if it's amended to a max of 15% I'd be ok...but after struggling to draw tags in my own state for the past 20 yrs...I can't wait for the additional tags to become available, whatever that percentage may be. Who knows, if hel* freezes over, I might even get to hunt an antelope in my home state one day....what a concept.

With all this crazy doom and gloom talk going around I do want to say the following:

We are all outdoorsman, and I respect each and every one of you for that. We all enjoy a lifestyle that many others despise and fight avidly against. Regardless of the politics of the situation, thanks for all you do in the hunting world, whether thats in your state, or mine.

Good luck and good hunting!

well sportsman.I do think anyone is saying residents do not spend any money.But when someone is paying 600.00 for a lic and res paying 100.00 those numbers dont lie.So it takes 6 of you to make the same money for the game/fish dept.So now just say 2000 thousands lic go back to res. Res fee 200,000.00 same 2000 tags non res 1,200,000.00. 1million dollar difference to start right of the bat.Which is all money that goes towards wildlife in some way.Not sure how you do not think any of the money the outfitter makes does not go back to new mexico.Unless none of them pay taxes or buy there supplies in new mexico.I would not say we all spend thousands more but just remember this is money new mexico will never see unless we hunt there.Most res money is already staying in new mexico.There are alot of states that depend on out of state money and make plans on how to get it.You guys have a beautful state but I really feel this will hurt the state not help it for a few more to hunt.Someone will all be unhappy but there is a better fix then this bill.I think that 15% would be better.I hope we all can get together and fight as hunters to keep the sport we all love going strong.

I have hunted NM many times and I don't have a problem with the state deciding on the split for their tags. We don't allow landowner or outfitter tags so we are introducing SB666 which will limit the number of NR tags for New Mexico residents to 2%. Do what you have to do and live with what you did. :)

The system is jacked but this will make it worse.

LO tags switched to not unit wide, only good for the private land they are issued for.

No separate NR pool for guided/unguided, just one NR pool. Guides will have to sell their services as guides instead of proxies to increase draw odds.

The NR pool can be 15%, eventually it will get set to 10% even if that's 10 or 15 yrs down the road, they will follow suit with the west of the west.

VIOLA! I just solved a bunch of problems, made the system fair, increased resident opportunity, but a few guides will probably be mad. Oh well.

If you can't draw a tag via the annusl hunt drawing, why don't the residents of NM purchase landowners tags from the local ranchers/landowners? This would allow the non-residents a fair opporunity of drawing a tag in the current 78%resident/22%non-resident setup?

All of this fighting amongst ourselves is driving a wedge throghout the hunting community. The anti-hunters are licking their chops and taking notes. They will support any movement that will divide the hunting community and prolong their efforts...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-11 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]Have you checked the price of landowner tags? On craigslist you can find COW tags for as much as 900 bucks! Of course, YOU could buy that landowner tag and not even worry about the draw, right? Besides, I'm sure there are residents AND nonresidents buying LO tags AFTER the draw anyway.

LO tags have absolutely NOTHING to do with the draw, with the exception of pulling away tags that would have been in the draw for all of us to have a chance at. That and the outfitter welfare are what's wrong in NM.

I hope a happy median is reached over this mess, to include sheep, ibex, and oryx. A look at last year's draw results will show at least a couple of the sheep hunts went 100% for NRs. Is THAT fair?

Look guys, I fully understand the hurt feelings and DIY folks definately don't need to be screwed over with that 2% BS! We need to get rid of the welfare entitlement.

Say in the end it's decided to do an 85/15 split with no OF set-aside. Guess what? Residents see a 7% increase and NRs see a 5% increase. Sure, you'd have the rich guys that put in the OF pool to compete against, but I read somewhere they utilize about 5% anyway. IF all those folk drew, you'd still been even with what you have now.

Just thinking out loud there.

Ropinfool, you are right, we are the majority, but if the bill would have been presented by a group of sportsman including residents and non-residents instead of resident against non-resident it is alot more likely that something productive would have come from this.

Again, in my OPINION if this passes as is it will not be good for anyone. I agree with the people that have said the good outfitters will survive without an outfitter pool, will some go under? Absolutely, but so has many businesse in all industies, but the better business models have survived.

Yep,drive a wedge,divide and conquer... It needs to be modified , but not what is on the table. And you can find a cow tag for around $300 if you need one,bulls for $1200 or less. I hear guys here griping about not drawing and can't afford a LO tag,driving $50k pickups, that have never been on a dirt road..... geeez.

This is very simple!

The landowner tags have nothing to do with this bill.

As I resident, I would feel a 90/10 split would be fair, and I would even go for an 85, 15%.

The state of NM should not subsidize private landowners. If they do, I am going to open up a coffee shop.

This % and that %!

If a guide or outfitter is worth his weight, he will not starve.

some of yall already said it but the whole ~10% extra tags for residents is not gonna affect our draw odds that much. the problem i have with our state is the fact the sheep, ibex, and oryx do not have to play by the same rules. the years that NR get 70% plus of the tags in those categories is messed up. if they would put the quota system on those three species i would be happy. the argument over who's licence fees total more is dumb. alot of the habitat money and department funds comes from the habitat stamps which the residents habitat stamp money pile up faster then NR. so all the money and work being spent on bighorn sheep programs is paid almost in full by residents. we should be the ones who benifit more than NR. I have no problem with NR hunting in NM my uncle comes here from texas to hunt too. i just wish our state would adopt a preference point system and apply the quota to ALL species. there thats my 2 cents.

Yeah I guess when the facts really show how much Non res lic bring in and it is more then res lic it is dumb.When something shows why non res money is important there is always a reason from a res saying it doesn't matter.Yes the hab. stamp is important but all the lic. funds help pay the bills also.You think poaching is bad now what till they lose all the lic. money and game wardens get layed off when there is no money to pay them.It is not about who's money is more important it is about money for funding the wildlife in many ways.It's just a fact we as non res pay more and always have.That money needs to be made up some way.I do think it is unfair about the ibex sheep tags and that should have a cap for non res. to.We just want a fair system not one that is ok because other states do it.

Here is an interesting article by the Colorado Division of Wildlife where the CDOW is trying to encourage out of state hunters to come to Colo! Notice how much $ and jobs hunters bring to the Colo economy!

DOW LOOKING TO ELEVATE ELK LICENSE SALES

DENVER -- In a new effort to promote elk license sales and support the rural communities that depend on hunting, the Colorado Division of Wildlife is launching a national marketing campaign aimed at challenging hunters to elevate their game by tackling a Colorado elk hunt this fall.

The "Elevate Your Game" campaign targets hunters age 30 to 65 using football terminology and themes to raise awareness of Colorado elk hunting opportunities. The integrated television, print and web campaign, developed with Denver-based 5-Stone Advertising, is designed to reach millions of hunters across the country between mid-February and April 5.

Division of Wildlife Director Tom Remington said that while the campaign has a national reach, it's designed as a proof-of-concept pilot project to test the effectiveness of marketing to resident and nonresident hunters alike. The goal of the campaign is to increase elk license applications for the limited license drawing as well as sales of leftover and over-the-counter licenses later in the year.

"The Division of Wildlife's ability to manage big game for Coloradans and visitors depends on hunters," Remington said. "Hunting supports tens of thousands of jobs in dozens of communities across this state. Investing in new ways to encourage hunters to hunt in Colorado is just a smart thing to do."

The Division is believed to be the first state wildlife agency to pursue a national hunter recruitment campaign of this type.

Hunting, angling and wildlife viewing are important economic activities for Colorado and stimulate tourism to rural areas of the state. Wildlife-based recreation has an annual economic impact of $3 billion across Colorado and ranks along with skiing as the top tourism drivers. Hunting and fishing generate $1.8 billion, supporting 20,614 jobs statewide each year. In the state's top five wildlife-dependant counties, hunting and fishing account for between 5 percent and 12 percent of total jobs.

However, during the past five years, the Division has seen the number of Colorado elk hunters decline by 37,500. Reversing this decline has become a top agency priority. An evaluation of the 2011 campaign will help determine if investing in direct outreach to hunters can convince more of them to hunt in Colorado.

The campaign features a 30-second television spot that will run for eight weeks during prime time on The Sportsman's Channel and The Outdoor Channel, two premier national cable channels whose programming focuses on wildlife recreation. In addition, 5-Stone produced two 15-second web ads that will run on popular hunting and fishing web sites, such as FieldandStream.com, OutdoorLife.com and NorthAmericanHunter.com.

A third campaign element is a full-page print ad that will adorn the March issues of Outdoor Life and Game and Fish magazines, which have a combined circulation of 1.3 million.

Each of the campaign ads will direct hunters to a dedicated website, HuntColorado.org, which features a section on planning a Colorado hunt. In addition to web-based ads, the site hosts a video that guides hunters through the license application process and a second video on planning a Colorado big-game hunt. Other links will direct hunters to the Colorado Tourism web site for information on accommodations and the Department of Regulatory Affairs to find a registered outfitter.

Tyler Baskfield, the Division's communications manager, said that the Division has increased its emphasis on customer service, with new products and services to ensure hunters get the information they need.

"We're challenging hunters to 'elevate their game' with a Colorado elk hunt, so we're raising our game in customer service to make the whole experience of hunting in Colorado as enjoyable and as easy as possible," Baskfield said. "We have world-class hunting and we are ready to provide world-class customer service to match."

Hunters who visit the DOW web site will find an interactive on-line version of the new, user-friendly big-game brochure and links to "Elk Hunting University," a series of articles on the DOW web page that give hunters skills training and planning tips for their elk hunt.

In addition, the Division has staffed up its call center with special customer service representatives who are knowledgeable about the Division's licensing process and Colorado hunting in general. Called "Hunt Planners," these hunting experts will provide the local knowledge and insider tips that can help ensure an enjoyable and successful hunt.

Al White, Director of Colorado Tourism and the former state Senator from Hayden, said that the DOW's marketing campaign is an example of Gov. Hickenlooper's focus on supporting sustainable jobs in Colorado communities.

"I'm very excited about the direction the DOW is taking with this approach of actively marketing and soliciting hunters to come to Colorado," said White. "I think the return on this marketing investment for the state will be phenomenal."

"Hunting is a critical element to the Northwest Colorado economy and until now, our success has been based on word of mouth and trade shows," added Craig Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Christina Oxley. "This is a bold move that will benefit the entire state. Kudos to the DOW for being a true community partner and taking this proactive step."
For a downloadable copy of the 2011 Big Game Brochure, visit the Division's web site at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

To view a copy of the new on-line, interactive brochure with video tutorials, please visit: http://www.flipseekpubs.com/publication/?i=59966

Elk Hunting University may be viewed at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ElkHuntingUniversity/

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us.

As you may or may not know, Colorado had a nickname for many years "the Raghorn state". They finally changed a lot of OTC units to limited draw. That did impact money but raised the quality of hunt. When I was in Lake city, I talked to the local sportsmen shop. He said he wanted to have it back to OTC. He said, they should hunt for meat and not trophys. His business had declined. I remember doing a job 10 years ago around Del Norte. It looked like vietnam with all the orange spots all over the side of the mountain. I said, I would not like that at all. Colorado is not a state to mimic. Quality is very important to me anyway. It should not always be about "big business".

I guess, that I did not have good math courses or stats.

A resident hunter going from 78% odds to 90% is not going to help draw odds? Can you explain this?

The economic argument is such a joke in the big picture!

How many people in the pulbic sector, have been laid off in NM? I heard in many communities to sub. at a public school, they are requiring a teaching certificate. That is because, so many teachers are out of work etc. Why should the state give welfare to outfitters?

TYPICAL!

LETS' HORN UP!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom