SCAM--Strawberry Bay Marina snowbmobile rental

CDub

I haven't posted here for a long time, and have never posted a public complaint about anything. But my experience yesterday at Strawberry Bay left me so upset and angry about how I was treated that I feel compelled to do so here.

We bought packages through KSL for a night's stay in the lodge with a full day snowmobile rental, so we took our kids up Friday night to stay overnight and spend a day on the lake Saturday. The staff was very accommodating for our late check-in and the rooms were clean and nice.

Saturday morning we went through the rental process. A young man walked me around the snowmobiles we were renting, noting a few minor scratches but otherwise stating that the machines were clean and in good shape. I am not a snowmobile expert and certainly did not do a thorough mechanical inspection or ride the machine prior to taking possession of it.

We drove our rentals onto the lake and spent the day fishing with friends. I did notice when driving the machine that the steering seemed loose, but I am not a snowmobile expert and assumed it was just wear and tear on a normal rental. My machine stayed parked on the ice the entire day, and was driven nowhere except out from the lodge and back. It was NEVER driven off of the ice or anywhere remotely near any trees. Several of my friends, one of whom has hired the guiding services of the lodge for his father's elk hunt in years past, were with me and will attest to that fact.

We returned to the lodge that afternoon, parked the snowmobiles, and proceeded to have problems jumping a dead battery on my truck. While dealing with the battery, we received a phone call from John at the lodge, stating that my machine had been in an accident with a tree, that the steering column was bent, and there were chunks of wood on the machine from the "accident."

I of course told him this did not happen during my rental, and he proceeded to go from 0 to 60 in no time at all, becoming belligerent, argumentative, and threatening to call the sheriff, which he stated was "protocol," but which was obviously an attempt to bully me into submission to agree to pay for the "damage" to the snowmobile.

When I got my truck started, I drove to the lodge to continue the discussion and look at the machine. John was rude, condescending, and threw every threat he could think of in my direction, calling me "son" and threatening legal action that would cost me "thousands of dollars." There was no damage that I could see, and the "wood chips" were tiny specks of sagebrush the size of a pencil eraser. It also became very clear to me that John wouldn't even consider the fact that the machine may have been damaged on a prior rental that they failed to notice on check-in.

At the end of the day, I did sign a contract stating that I would be liable for whatever damage to the machine that they deemed appropriate. But I have never been treated so poorly as a customer. Bullied, publicly humiliated and ganged-up on by 5-7 people at the lodge who refused to even listen to what I had to say, and who have already charged my credit card for the "damages."

I work in at a billion dollar multinational corporation with an army of lawyers on staff, and would be more than happy to engage John in a court of law. I'm not done with this yet and will have my justice.

BEWARE OF THESE SCAM ARTISTS.

I've met John a time or two but don't know Him that Well!

Maybe Lil BEAV needs a little Extra Cash?(RAZZIN!)

Maybe Lil BEAV needs Taxidermy Money!(RAZZIN!:D)

I Know Lil BEAV & His Dad Paul!

They've always been Decent!

A Few years ago after Staying a couple nights at the Strawberry/Hollywood Motel John called me (A little Growly!) & said I only paid for one night,I said:Well Charge My Charge Card for the 2nd Night,You've got my Card Number!

I rented a Snowmobile From Lil BEAVS Competitor before I knew the Phillips Boys!

When you return the Sled you have to Re-Fuel them!

You ever put 56.00 worth of Fuel in a Machine for an hour & a 1/2 ride?

Well!

I have!:D

I'm sure BEAV will Chime in soon!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

One more thing!

Some of them Rental Machines are some Real F'N THRASHERS!

Hey CDub?

You realize how many times that same Sled has been Totaled & How much money they've made off that same Sled?:D:D:D

I gotta RAZZ Lil BEAV!:D

I hesitate to even respond to this but in light of the scam assertion, I felt like I had to.

Yesterday, CDub rented a snowmobile from us, he did a checkout with my brother and signed for snowmobile 961

This is the checkout done by my brother. It clearly shows NO BENT ARMS.

6481img_0303.jpg

upon returning the snowmobile that afternoon a check in was done by the same person who checked it out. He found bars that looked like this

7209img_0304.jpg

For reference this is what they should look like.

4947img_0306.jpg

My brother let me know that there was some damage, so I looked up the price of the parts and let the store clerk know. We expected the guys to come pay for the tax and gas, the purchaser of the KSL deal was still responsible for that, as clearly stated on the deal.

After 15-20 minutes of waiting we went to look for the renters and found they had left. We called one of the phones to have them return and got no answer then called the other. Jon was on the phone and this is what I heard of the conversation. Jon asked if the person who answered was the one he was looking for, then informed him that there was some damage that needed to be taken care of in addition to the tax and gas bill. Silence on Jon's end while the person responded. Then Jon said he had not choice but to call the sheriff. I took that to mean that the person had refused to return. Jon then stated that they were not coming back.

At that point I charged the card for $150 dollars. It's our policy to do so because in situations like this the person has a habit of cancelling the card leaving us in the lurch. $150 for the damage, the gas and the tax. The damage alone was $131.66 the gas $18 and change. I'm some scam artist aren't I? clearly I've lost money on this deal already. Our standing policy is to charge only for the damaged parts, I fix them on my own time at no charge.

After I charged the card I left because my part was done. However, if that's a scam of an operation then I'm pretty terrible at it haha I believe a State Parks officer was called into do a report.

In light of the implied legal action, I will not comment on this further, those that read it can decide for themselves based off my experience versus the original poster.

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

So BEAV?

What Breed of a Machine is this?

And I Take it that it is something that happens Frequently on this Brand of Machine?

John, if you had responded this professionally in person I would never have felt the need to even post this complaint. We could have had a civil discussion about this and I would have just taken my medicine and moved on. I will respond to this one last time and then we'll let it play out in the proper venue.

We never "left" as you stated. You know damn well I was dealing with a dead battery, you and all your employees saw it with your own eyes. You also know I came to speak with you as soon as my vehicle was running.

The pictures you posted do indeed show bent bars. BUT I DIDN'T BEND THEM. I didn't inspect the bars before renting the snowmobile, and wouldn't have even known what I was looking at if I had. As I've acknowledged, I signed a contract that says you can charge me for whatever you want, which is precisely what you did.

What I'm saying is that you need to go speak to your employees about properly checking in equipment, because this happened BEFORE I TOOK POSSESSION OF THE MACHINE. Your people didn't notice this when someone else returned it, and they didn't notice it when they checked it out to me. But I'm on the hook for it.

I could care less about $150. But what I do care about is being treated with respect and dignity, and I will go to the ends of the earth and spare no expense to make sure you can't do this to anyone else. I have the means to spend whatever it takes to achieve that end, and that is exactly what I will do.

You and your people came out swinging on us, threating lawsuits, legal fees, and the sheriff. Clearly you've had success with these tactics before, but I'm educated on the law and consumer rights. I won't be bullied, and I won't be mistreated.

I'm not a frequent poster on MM. You are, and people on this site know you well and don't know me at all. But you're going to be surprised to find out how many people I do know, and you'll soon learn that what I'm saying is the absolute truth.

You're in the service business, and if you want to treat your customers like this, I will make sure everyone that ever searches you on Google knows how you treat your customers, which will be far more costly for your business then if you had simply handled this professionally.

Well!

Poaching Season is Perty much over for a while!

This Looks to be the next MM Trial!

Pretty tacky bringing a private grief on the internet. This is a hunting forum not a complaint site. Fight it out in the real court not the court of public opinion.

>I hesitate to even respond to
>this but in light of
>the scam assertion, I felt
>like I had to.
>
>Yesterday, CDub rented a snowmobile from
>us, he did a checkout
>with my brother and signed
>for snowmobile 961
>
>This is the checkout done by
>my brother. It clearly
>shows NO BENT ARMS.
>
>
6481img_0303.jpg

>
>upon returning the snowmobile that afternoon
>a check in was done
>by the same person who
>checked it out. He
>found bars that looked like
>this
>
>
7209img_0304.jpg

>
>For reference this is what they
>should look like.
>
>
4947img_0306.jpg

>
>My brother let me know that
>there was some damage, so
>I looked up the price
>of the parts and let
>the store clerk know.
>We expected the guys to
>come pay for the tax
>and gas, the purchaser of
>the KSL deal was still
>responsible for that, as clearly
>stated on the deal.
>
>After 15-20 minutes of waiting we
>went to look for the
>renters and found they had
>left. We called one
>of the phones to have
>them return and got no
>answer then called the other.
> Jon was on the
>phone and this is what
>I heard of the conversation.
> Jon asked if the
>person who answered was the
>one he was looking for,
>then informed him that there
>was some damage that needed
>to be taken care of
>in addition to the tax
>and gas bill. Silence
>on Jon's end while the
>person responded. Then Jon
>said he had not choice
>but to call the sheriff.
> I took that to
>mean that the person had
>refused to return. Jon
> then stated that they
>were not coming back.
>
>At that point I charged the
>card for $150 dollars.
>It's our policy to do
>so because in situations like
>this the person has a
>habit of cancelling the card
>leaving us in the lurch.
> $150 for the damage,
>the gas and the tax.
> The damage alone was
>$131.66 the gas $18 and
>change. I'm some scam
>artist aren't I? clearly
>I've lost money on this
>deal already. Our standing
>policy is to charge only
>for the damaged parts, I
>fix them on my own
>time at no charge.
>
>After I charged the card I
>left because my part was
>done. However, if that's
>a scam of an operation
>then I'm pretty terrible at
>it haha I believe a
>State Parks officer was called
>into do a report.
>
>In light of the implied legal
>action, I will not comment
>on this further, those
>that read it can decide
>for themselves based off my
>experience versus the original poster.
>
>
>
>
>https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

Where is the photo of the customers and inspectors signature? I can write something on a piece of paper stating anything. Okay I will stop razzin you now :). In my experiences with Strawberry Bay they have been nothing but helpful and accommodating. I usually stop in for a bite to eat during lunch while out hunting and have yet to interact with one of those (scammers (used loosely lol)) that I didn't like.

This leads me to this who rents a machine and doesn't look it over before driving it off the lot? I mean those bent arms are pretty obvious and even my 2 year old would have noticed them, its not like they are covered on that machine. Take it out hit a tree say you didn't do anything and work for a huge company with a lot of lawyers, cool I work for a company with over 100 lawyers and guess what they are the companies lawyers not mine (same most likely goes for you, unless you own the company), so that point is mute and sounds like you are just trying to say hey look my d!ck is bigger then yours.

This leads me to the final part of my rant and it is something everyone should do when renting anything. Take some photos with that smart phone you got in your pocket so if the rental company says you did anything you have before photos to show.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

>It's not a private grief, it's
>a grief with a company
>that does business on this
>website.

So let me guess....you joined this website to air a personal grievance and we will never hear from you again? So out of the goodness of your heart and as a community service you air your complaint only to help us all out not slander or put a bad light on a member of this forum never to be heard or seen again.

I know its hindsight, but when you knew something was wrong you should of went back to the marina. IMO

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-15 AT 03:23PM (MST)[p]*** "The pictures you posted do indeed show bent bars. BUT I DIDN'T BEND THEM. I didn't inspect the bars before renting the snowmobile, and wouldn't have even known what I was looking at if I had."

I wouldn't know what to look for either. I would have to rely on and hope that the rental company is honest in the check out inspection.

*** "What I'm saying is that you need to go speak to your employees about properly checking in equipment, because this happened BEFORE I TOOK POSSESSION OF THE MACHINE. Your people didn't notice this when someone else returned it, and they didn't notice it when they checked it out to me. But I'm on the hook for it."

If you truly didn't hit anything (I tend to believe you on this one)then I agree 100% with this paragraph. They missed it twice. On purpose or on accident is the question. Either way, that is messed up.

Call the second to last customer and see if they hit anything.
Maybe they did maybe they didn't, NOW if they claim they return the machine back in primo condition, Who drove it next would be the guy who should foot the bill.......

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Call the second to last customer
>and see if they hit
>anything.
>Maybe they did maybe they didn't,
>NOW if they claim they
>return the machine back in
>primo condition, Who drove it
>next would be the guy
>who should foot the bill.......
>
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hey GATOR?

You really think you'll get the Truth if it was somebody else that roughed the Machine up in todays World?

I'm just sayin................it's a Wicked World out there now days!

Hold on hold on, how do you not notice one side looks bent and the other doesn't? I ask because I don't know much about snow machines but hell I would have notice something was bent. I tend to think you had a few bruskies and hit a tree, then to lash back you go on about how you are some big shot and so on. Plain and simple if you are such a big shot did you get their not paying attention to detail? Do you drive around with blinders on? Geeze common sense isn't so common any more.

necessary.? John Adams

You know what they will say once you start them talking.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Unfortunately for you Berryblaster, if you don't have a customer signature on your pre rental checkout form it worthless in court......

I've acknowledged all along that I signed it.

That doesn't change the facts, which is that somebody who rented the machine prior to me did the damage, not me. But I'm on the hook for it. They charged me for it, per their contract.

Having ridden snowmobiles only a handful of times in my life, I wouldn't have even know what I was looking at. What may seem obvious to those who know these machines was not obvious to me, and I trusted the young man checking me out when he told me the machine was in good shape. People rent snowmobiles because they don't own them. If they owned one, they would know these things, and wouldn't need to rent.

It was my treatment during the dispute that was reprehensible, and my reason for posting here.

I was kinda always taught.. If you dont understand a contract maybe you shouldnt sign it.. So since you claim you dont ride snowmobiles and dont know much about them maybe you shouldnt have signed the contract..

I never said I didn't understand the contract. I knew exactly what I was signing and what I was contractually obligated to, and I have been charged accordingly.

I said I didn't understand snowmobile mechanics. And my guess is that most people that rent snowmobiles don't either.

That's why snowmobile rental companies should be reputable. This one isn't.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-15 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]>I never said I didn't understand
>the contract. I knew
>exactly what I was signing
>and what I was contractually
>obligated to, and I have
>been charged accordingly.
>
>I said I didn't understand snowmobile
>mechanics. And my guess
>is that most people that
>rent snowmobiles don't either.
>
>That's why snowmobile rental companies should
>be reputable. This one
>isn't.

Seems to me you just lost your case for yourself with that statement.
looks like berry is quite a bit more "reputable" than you for not giving your name. You join site JUST to air your grudge online.

Fyi...i have never met berry or done business with him.

I don't have a legal case. But I have the right to do other things, including the right to state my opinion online. People do it on these forums thousands of times a day. Just as you just did, and have done in 3,775 previous posts.

And I've had this same username since the late 90's with several hundred posts, just dropped off for a while, and when I tried to sign on again I had to re-register. If Founder wants to look at the records it's all there.

My name is Charles Wright, I'm not trying to hide anything. They can post the contract with my name and signature, I have no problem with that. I'm not trying to hide anything. Just stating my experience with this company and opinion. Read both sides and believe what you will.

Hell Cdub I knew your name the night this was posted tracked you with your IP address. Who cares about the name, initially you just sounded and sound pissed off because you hit a tree and got charged.

necessary.? John Adams

Do you think I would spend this kind of time and effort over $150 because I did it and am pissed I got charged? And hang myself out to dry with everyone that will automatically assume I am lying because I haven't posted here thousands of times?

They already charged me $150 for the damages. I could have disputed the charge with my credit card company and likely would have prevailed. But I didn't, because I signed a contract and will honor it.

I did however lodge a complaint with KSL. I didn't ask for it, but they offered to refund me half. Like most service companies would do, if there is an upset customer, they make a good faith effort to resolve the complaint.

I'm pissed at how I was treated and am trying to warn others. This isn't about the money.

This is the way I see it. CDub...you might be telling the absolute truth, BUT you signed a contract stating that the machine looked in the condition stated. Could the arms have been bent before YES...could Strawberry Bay Marinas employee missed it in the check in? I would dare guess this happens occasionally. That is why you have to visually inspect the machine yourself before renting it...pointing out any might be damages. Like stated above. Take a few photos while the employee is going over the machine. I can see both sides of this argument and you lose because you signed a contract stating it was in good condition when you took possession. I'm sorry you felt your dealings went wrong. And fyi I remember years ago seeing your name on MM.

He isn't contesting what he signed. You are missing his whole point. He is upset because he feels he was treated in a disrespectful fashion. He is pointing out that he felt bullied, and belittled and feels the "customer service" was poor. Who here has not been there? It is not a good place.

Not taking sides, just acknowledging what I am hearing.

I really hope this works out. First negative thing I have ever heard about the folks at the marina. I still wouldn't hesitate to do business there. Sorry you had a bad experience CDub.

Only you two party's will ever know what exactly happened up there. But I'm good friends with Paul at Strawberry bay Marina, I have done business with Paul for over 30 years in other business, and he is one of the most honest, helpful, polite gentleman that I've ever had the privilege to know and work with in business, and recreation.

Rich Lowe

I'd just about Bet that if Cdub & Paul got together for a little chat Face to Face they could settle things up like Men!

Personally think they should split the cost. Should have done that first out, then this wouldn't be on the net.

However, at least folks know that they can rent a snow machine there.

Been in the rental business before. This sort of disagreement happens all the time.

has any one else had this stuff at strawberry bay marina, might help you know whos bs ing!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom