scent prevention

zeddro

How many of you guys put your camo in bags?

I used to do this and went away from it and just started to pay attention to the wind while hunting.

what are your thoughts and what do you do? I'm thinking I might go back to putting the camo in scent bags.

Wash your clothes in cold water with plain old baking soda. Air dry them outside in the sun. Put them in a Tupperware container with dirt, leave, and other naturally found things in the environment you hunt in. Change it out when the stuff no longer smells like the earth.
WVBOWAK

+1 with wv, unless it is a type of clothing with scent prevention built in, (scent blocker),(scent lok) clothing. These types of clothing need to be washed with recommended cleaners and then either put into a bag, or plastic bin alone. The pours in the carbon clothing will absorb the scent of anything you put with them and will not absorb human odor making them less effective for what they were designed for. Any other type of clothing I put into a plastic bin and put vegetation in with the cloths from the same area I plan on hunting. You could go a step further and place elk or deer scent in with them if you don't mind smell like one all day.

I tried the whole vacuum out the air after you wash your clothes in scent killer. The only thing that was different was the amount of wrinkles in the camo when I took it out of the bag.

I have looked at the scent lok and scent blocker as something that the whitetail hunting celebritiy whores have plugged in order to get a little extra coin. In fact there was a class action law suit not too long ago about how the stuff didn't work, how whenever you needed to "recharge" the activated charcoal in the suit you needed a dryer that basically had a thermonuclear reactor attached to get the heat needed to do the job (which is hot enough to basically burn the clothes up), and the major reason I never broke down was the cost of the stuff. That and having to wear the military version of the stuff off and on for 11 years made me decide it was a gimmick for guys that want to hunt more aggressively and ignore wind current and direction of wind travel.
WVBOWAK

Everyone has their own opinion on scent prevention, using Scent-Lok cloths, scent-killer washes and sprays. Some say they work and others hate them. A lot if it for some is the expense of the cloths or because they do not properly de-scent everything gear wise and or especially for archery pay attention to the ordors of coffee perking/food at camp or lunch/snack odors that they take into the field along with camp fire smoke etc. ALL odors which they re-expose their hunting gear to at hunting camp. Anything that the game smells in the mountains that shouldn't be there gives the game a warning signal...

For our group we have found scent elimination using Scent-Lok gear products, proper washing, scent-killer sprays and bagging works great for us. We change out of hunting gear if we are hunting out of a base camp and bag'm everyday. Along with bagging backpacks to keep them as scent free as possible. If someone just takes regular camo cloths and washes them in the scent elimination products, dries them and bags them in plain white garbage bags this all helps keep your cloths more scent free.

Watch the wind as well as proper de-scenting has changed the game...

The Scent-Lok type products with the carbon absorbtion just allows those type garments to stay scent free longer than the non-Scent-Lok type products. We get about four days of hard early season hot weather hunting out of a set of Scent-Lok cloths. The cloths may last longer but we choose to change out after four full hunting days. The scent elimination sprays and gear does work if you use them properly. That lawsuit against Scent-Lok products was a bunch of B.S. and just a money grab for someone that didn't know what they were doing anyway....Rifle hunters may not see the benifit at longer ranges but with archery "up close and personal"... cloths, wash'm de-scenting wash soap, one drying cycle to get them dry then one hour drying on regular heat to recharge the carbon works great... then bag'm every time, spray and de-scent bows, arrows, backpacks and bag"m daily.

That is meat in the freezer...

)))).......>

In the areas we hunt, deer have smelled plenty of natural/man made fires so we let a little smoke douse us from woods found locally and burned. Since our area has sage and pines and mahogony etc, we then break off a clump of the leaves/needles etc (natural earth from the area) and rub it in our hands until it releases some of the natural scent then we rub that over our camo. Using scents from the area really seems to help get us close and not spook the deer or elk; but wind direction and stealth are probably the biggest factors.

As said before, scent control is of no use and a waste of money, if you put your clothes on at camp and eat breakfast and drink coffee and ride in a vehicle that has other scents (colognes etc) soaked into the interior for your clothes to absorb. And then add in sweat if you are hiking and you mind as well put up a giant waving flag.

IMO: bring a dry back up shirt, use the elements mother nature has provided, watch the wind and be stealthy like a cat! That will give you plenty of opportunities to get in close for a kill and blame your miss on your "FAULTY(?)" Equipment - LOL! :)

?-ERock-> ?

It depends on how I'm hunting. If we are hiking in and camping out, there is not much you can do to stay scent free and in that case I will just hunt the wind and not worry about it.

Where we archery hunt in South Dakota, we stay in a rented cabin and can get a shower in every morning with scentless soap and shampoo. In that case, we hose down all our clothes, hip packs, boots everything in Dead Downwind and put them in large zip locks to seal them. Then we drive around the ag fields and river breaks and glass for bucks and if we find one up or spot antler tips, get out, change and put a stalk on. If it doesn't work out we'll keep those on but hose down every time we get out of the truck. We go back to street clothes before we get lunch.

So my thought on it is either go all out and do it right, or don't worry about it. I think its next to impossible to do it right when you are in the back country. A lot of people half ass scent control then expect to get more than half assed results.

You guys are doing it all wrong...this way kills two birds with one stone, three if you count how cool it looks!!
8079z.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

I always found honey worked really well for me in bear hunting those bears could come right in from my down wind side. never really worked for deer! dunno why?
7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

Good posts, I like the honey idea.

If I was hunting whitetails or other animals out of a stand, I would be all over the scent control stuff. I still use the deoderant and stuff like that and give it a good try, but I usually do a lot of hiking where I hunt now for elk and mulies. Scent control does not help when you are sweating like a whore in church after hiking...I make sure the wind is in my favor when I stalk a critter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom