Scheels any good?

chewyman55

Have a lot of Utah MM'ers here. As you may know, a Scheels is coming to the SLC Valley next year. Never been to one. Are they any good? Comparable to Sportsmens and Cabelas or is it just another REI type?

We have a Scheels in Reno. Actually, its reported to be the largest all sports store in the entire country. As far as hunting goes, we have a pretty good archery shop and in my opinion its fairly comparable to the Cabelas archery shop we have here and definitely better than Sportsmans. They have a bunch of guns and quite a few bows, targets and other accessories. Cabelas has a better selection of camo IMO. And I may be a little bias since Scheels is about a 3 minute drive from my house vs 30mins to Cabelas.

Have one in Iowa 3 minutes from my house. Love it. Great selection and prices. Better selection then Sportsmans better price then Cabelas IMHO. It will be interesting to see how the one in Utah fairs with all 3 stores being that close together.

Quite a few of them in MN but I've found them to be more expensive than Cabelas, Gander Mtn, etc. Pretty good selection though.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I have been to all 3 in Reno.

Sportsman's sucks, IMO

Cabela's is not as nice as the one in Salt Lake. I just wasn't all that impressed.

Scheel's - I was very impressed with. The customer service, professionalism, and the prices seemed to be in line with everywhere else. I have gone back to the Scheel's in Reno, can't say that for the other two.

Marcial

Several years ago I stopped at a Scheels in Des Moines, Iowa on my way back to Michigan from my annual Wyoming trip when I saw their flyer while stopping for a bite to eat. A friend had been wanting a Ruger Red Label O/U with an English grip and couldn't find one at a decent price. There was one in the flyer for $1000 with 5 chokes. The place was beautiful and had a full run of sporting goods. The clerk I talked with was very knowledegable, but they didn't have any at the store with an English stock. I told him I was heading back to MI and he immediately called the store in Iowa City that is right along I-80 and they had one, so he asked if I wanted to stop and pick it up there. I told him I would need to look at the wood and finish and if it passed inspection they had a sale. He put a hold on it and I bought it there when I found it was perfect with beautiful grain in the stock and it had the English grip my buddy wanted. At that time the same gun was going for at least $1350 at Cabelas, so even though it is a huge company and should have the best prices on everything, they don't. I do really like Cabelas though because they will take a return for just about any reason with absolutely no hassle. What was really funny was that both my buddy and I had Cabelas hats on when we went in the Scheels store. Before we left the gun department, the guy said he would give us both free Scheels hats that were marked at $15 if we would just take the Cabelas hats off and put the Scheels hats on, LOL! That was also a deal we couldn't pass up!

Sportsmans in Reno does suck for most things. However because of the competition between the other dealers in town they have reduced prices on a lot of items. Mostly fishing gear, and as a tournament bass fisherman they get a lot of my business for bass and fly tying materials (especially since Reno Fly Shop is gone).

Another thing on the plus side for Scheels is that anything Scheels branded has a no questions asked return policy. I own scheels waders for duck hunting and a couple of their guide series rods for various forms of finesse fishing and everytime I have broken them i have received new equipment without so much as a scowl.. Unfortunately Cabelas has gone to a 30 day return policy... sad that some bad seeds had to ruin that for everyone.

Brandon82---FYI you're incorrect on your 30 day Cabelas statement. Here is their policy on all returns right off their website:

Since 1961, it has been our ongoing mission to provide outdoor enthusiasts like you with the finest quality gear and the highest level of customer service in the industry.

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 90 days* of purchase.

With Receipt: Items returned within the guidelines that are accompanied by a receipt will be refunded at the original purchase price, plus applicable sales tax, in the original payment method.

Without Receipt: Items returned within the guidelines without a receipt will be processed at the lowest sale price plus applicable sales tax. Such items may be exchanged for the same product or returned for merchandise credit in the form of a Cabela's gift card.

Shipping and handling charges will not be refunded unless an error occurred on our part in the shipment of your order.

GUIDELINES:

Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship.

All other Cabela's brand merchandise is guaranteed for one full year.

*Our standard return policy does not apply to the following items:

Firearms, black powder guns, ammunition, gunpowders, and primers may not be returned due to safety considerations.

National brand optics, electronics, and gasoline-engine powered items may be returned within 60 days of purchase with the original sales receipt. The item must be returned in its' original packaging and with all accompanying manuals and accessories. After 60 days these items must be returned to the manufacturer. All manufacturer warranties are in effect.

Optics include: Binoculars, scopes, spotting scopes, rangefinders, sights, and sunglasses.
Electronics include: GPS, sonar, cameras, radios, DVDs, metal detectors, watches, electronic collars, digital compasses, personal locator beacons, and electric trolling motors.
Gasoline engine-powered items include: Generators, ice augers, chain saws, mowers, and log splitters.

I can compare the Scheels in Billings,MT with the Cabelas in the same town.The Scheels has a super optics, reloading, firearms and bow department. The people in these departments are knowledgeable and for the most part are more knowledgeable than their counterparts at Cabelas in Billings. I usually get a blank stare at the Billing's Cabelas if I ask a reloading or optics question. That hasn't happened at Scheels. I never received any hassle with a return at Scheels. I still remember buying a pair of boots at Cabelas (Switchback)before the Billings store opened. The boots tore from the tip of the sole to the heel with my foot hanging out. They were less than 90 days old and returning them and getting a refund was a huge hassle during hunting season. Now, I will only buy Meindl brand boots at Cabelas. Scheels will match prices on an item even if it is internet advertised only. I did this with some Kenetrek gaiters and they matched the Sierra Trading Post price. I also bought an electronic micrometer for reloading from Cabelas. A few days later, I found the exact same thing for half the price at Harbor Freight. Customer service at Cabelas said tough luck we don't have a best price policy. My biggest gripe with Cabelas is the misleading sales information both online and in fliers. They often don't have what they list in their sales fliers. Call ahead or be disappointed. Cabelas will often have sales that are for internet only ordering. They will have the exact item in stock at full retail in the store but at a sizeable discount if ordered online. You have to order it online and ask for free shipping to the store. A real nuisance when you live 70 miles from the store. Last week I went to Cabelas in Billings to buy some Barnes bullets. They had a mail in rebate coupons offering $ 5.00 off a box. The coupons were still up (Parked right above the bullets)but the rebate had expired like 6 months earlier. That is deceptive. I don't mean to condemn Cabelas but I think they have some growth problems that have pushed them away from customer service and good retail practices. I prefer Scheels to Cabelas but I go to both when in Billings.

I have been to the Scheels in Great Falls and Billings MT. Both seem to be real nice stores with a pretty good selection of sporting goods. The nice thing is they not only have hunting fishing camping but they also have other sporting goods as well, ie. cycling, baseball, basketeball, etc.

Heck in Iowa Scheels was our cabela's. Man when Sioux City got one I about tipped over. Then Sioux Falls built a brand spanky new 2 story one too and my gosh we was in hog heaven.LOL. Nice store with good prices and products. I'd shop there over Sportsman. The scheel brand seem pretty good quality too.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Some good intel there. I didn't even realize they have their own line of products (or their name on it). Sounds like they might shake things up in Utah then. That'll be nice to have some other options. I have heard they run a tight ship and run a good biz. Thanks for the input.

scheels does have some smart guys working in billings. on a rifle they will work worth you on the price and at cabelas they say they are already loosing money.

and scheels you can try out a bow or a golf club upstairs before buying.

i have no complaints about them

I live 4-5 hours from Reno, but seem to find myself there a couple of times a year. I've shopped all three and for the most part, Cabelas gets my vote. Their internet presence is hard to beat. The bargain cave rocks! I buy my jeans, Carhart shirts, and most all footwear from Cabelas online. When its near the end of winter, the closeout prices are crazy.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

ALL retail stores are at the mercy of their employees. Nobody has cornered the market on good help. I've talked with knowledgeable salesmen at all of the stores, and also found incompetent salesmen. It is certainly a credit to the individual store if they have well qualified people, but don't expect you can go to some other city and be gauranteed the same level of service. How management handles a problem, should one arise, is the real deciding factor. I've had good luck with several of these stores if I was willing to bring a problem to managements attention. You can't expect perfection from minimum wage employees.
Bill

I apologize, you are correct. 90 days. However that is still not as good as Scheels return policy. Ill stand by that, 30days, 90days.. give me a year.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-11 AT 11:10AM (MST)[p]Brandon82---Did you read their guidelines on the shoes, clothing, branded items, etc.? I don't think they are that far off from the other place. I will say that as Cabelas keeps expanding and building more and more stores all over the country that,IMHO,they are going in a negative direction from the way they operated 5-10 years ago. Businesses like that seem to get so big that they just don't have enough oversight to keep everything rolling smoothly, as evidenced by the one post about having rebate coupons available that were already expired. That is not the Cabelas that I have really liked over the years and it will probably get worse as they open more places.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom