School me about Swaros!

elks96

Long Time Member
I have $1300 from selling my antler pile. My goals was to use the money for gear. I am trying to decide on a set of high end binos. It has been recommended that I get a pair of used 10x42 SLC. Being a poor teacher I have never even considered such high end glass as a result I know nothing about them. Are all SLC the same? Would a 5 years old pair be the same as the brand new pairs? Are there certain variances I should be aware of? For example different eye cups? Different shapes, focus styles etc.?

I just need to know. I am also considering the Cabelas Euros (Meopta) and the Vortex razor HDs. But many have said just get the swaros nd be done.

The nice thing about a used pair of Swarovski's is they still carry the lifetime warranty so I see no problem in buying used. If it has some where and tear I believe for a pretty reasonable price they will recondition them to like new condition.

I don't believe there are any major differences in the SLC's from 5+ years ago to the ones today other then the look of them. The new ones have a little sleeker/fancier look but I believe the glass is still the same.

The one big caution when buying used Swarovski is to get the serial number and call them to verify it was sold through a retailer in the US. IF the optic came from an oversees retailer Swarovski North America will not warranty it and you will have to send it oversees for repairs.

You will be happy with the optics though there are others that make good optics but few compare to the clarity and quality of Swaros

I had always used Nikon Monarchs for years. Never had a problem with them. Plus they were relatively inexpensive. And had a great warranty as well.

Having said that, I did run into a great deal on the same glass you are looking at. There is a definite difference in the two. I use my Swaros for big game hunting and keep my Nikons for hunting coyotes.

You might want to look at some of the Vortex stuff. Seems to be some pretty damn good glass as well.

Buy SWARO or be called a Pusssssie!

Least that's what CUPSY Told me!

You Might check with Stinkbug!

He might have a New Used Pair!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

For $1200 you should be able to find a pair of used EL's (swarobright). That would be my vote for good glass in that price range! Swaro's tend to hold value quite well also, so in case you need to sell you'll get a good chunk of your money back.

2a0fcsk.gif

If yer gonna dump the coin, get the EL's. Swaro will come up with something they claim is better in 5 years just to sell more bino's, but you'll still have the best you can get. I had a set of EL 8.5x42's. I scratched an ocular lens a couple years ago. The sticker on the focus adjuster had fallen off so it didn't say which ones they were. Sent them in and when they came back it had a new sticker that says 10x42 and the invoice said replaced 10x ocular lenses. Guess I have 10x42's now. I really can't tell the difference.

+1 for the EL's. I used Nikon Monarchs for years and was very happy with them, just not as happy as I am with the EL's. Great Glass.

The pre-swarovision glass in the EL had the exact same glass as the SLC-NEU made in the same era. Literally the only difference was the shape of the barrels and the open bridge design. There were many years they both had Swarodur and Swarobtight coatings. If you're buying used and pay more for EL over SLC, you may be wasting money if you're not careful.

Currently, the EL has a field flattening prism (except EL Range v1, which had SLC glass) that the SLC doesn't have, but some people don't like the look it gives the image (research: roller ball effect).

I had a Swarovski employee working the Outdoorsman Booth at the Expo tell me the EL were true-to-life color and the SLC were tinted to brighten certain colors in low-light conditions (when hunters use them most). He flatly said the EL were for birders and the SLC were for hunters.

Pick what your eyes like, don't assume paying more gets you better glass (as long as it says Swarovski, you'll be just fine).

My advice... find some used SLC-NEU (two-tone body) in 10x50 for about $1100. I promise you'll like them more than any pair of glass available. If you're in northern Utah, I can meet you at the Logan Sportsman Warehouse to compare them to brand new 10x50 ELs. You'll take the SLC-NEU. EVen the optics counter employee agreed they're better. I can't explain why, they just are.

Grizzly

Find the best deal on SLC that your $1100 will buy and grab them, You will be happy with them.

I picked up a set 15x56 several years ago for less then that amount so the deals are out there. One of my best finds love them on a tripod.
KSL,Craigslist sport sections,Ebay,Pawn shops, Thrifty Nickel type ads, Gunbroker, MM and Etc.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have a pair of 10x42 SLC's I would probably sell ya if you are in the market.. If serious PM me and I can get you some pictures of them.. I have just been using them in the truck and the duck blind lately cause I switched to the EL range.

Well I did it... Something I never thought I would! I have a set of used Swaros 10x42 SLC on the way! Paid 1000 even! 300 less that I had planned on Gino's and they are supposed to like new barely used!

Hope they are as good as they say!

elks96

Congrats, You'll never regret it. In fact you'll wonder how you ever saw anything at all.

Grizzly

Yeah, you will not regret it. I'm generally not a big spender, but saved a long time and sprung for a pair of ELs a couple of years ago. Absolutely no buyers remorse. A life time investment that will go to the next generation and amazing clarity and field of view. I was originally going to go with the SLCs, but liked the ergonomics of the ELs better. Enjoy them!

Now use that extra Hundred and pick up a tripod attachment and get a good tripod to go with it and you will double the benefit of that great glass.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom