Scope Advice

A

ADDICT

Just a quick question. I bought a 300 Remington Ultra Mag yesterday and put a Zeiss 4.5x14 44mm scope on it. I was wondering if you thought the 6.5x20 50mm would be worth the extra money and would it be a bit overkill? I primarily hunt deer/antelope/elk and would use the higher power more for glassing. My fear is the 6.5 minimum might be a bit much hunting cedars or shorter range scenarios.

Anyone bought/owned both or either and have some advice before I exchange the two?

PS. Does a wider objective lens allow more light in early/late day conditions. Is there that big of a difference between a 44mm and a 50mm beyond field of view?

Thanks guys.

40mm is lets in plenty of light, 50mm is overkill and just makes for uncomfortable cheek mount. Just my .02 I personally own a 4.5 x 14 x 40 Zeiss conquest and love it. I would stick with the one you already purchased. The larger zoom is just for small targets and long range.

If you're looking for opinions, here's mine. DON'T GLASS WITH YOUR RIFLE! Nothing makes me more nervous than someone pointing their gun all over the country looking for something to shoot. I don't like having a rifle pointed at me. That's what your binoculars and spotting scope are for. As far as the rifle scope is concerned, I think that the one you have on there is more than enough.

Don P.

I should've seen that coming. Where would I be in life without wise, insightful and profound advice from experienced hunters?

I understand and apologize for my original "glassing" point being a little irresponsible sounding, but anyone who gets out and hikes a little can appreciate not having to carry binos, a spotting scope and tripod, and rifle to basically accomplish what a 20x lens could do. I don't scan the mountain with my rifle optics, I was merely referring to up-close evaluations at deer (I already identified from my "safe, unloaded" optics).

Thanks for the input though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom