Scope for 30-06

Smokepole

I pulled out my 700 BDL 30-06 this past weekend (I haven't shot this gun in a while since I mostly do primitive weapons). I went to adjust the variable on my Bushnell scope and nothing changed. I noticd that a screw on the adjustment was gone. I checked with Gallenson's but they didn't have one.

Basically, I'm in the market for a new scope of better quality. I know there are differences in quality and clarity, with a price. I know too that I should get the best quality optic I can afford. Right now I'm thinking I could afford something pushing $300.

Any suggestions?

Smokepole

You have just enough for a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm...they can be had for $299. Great scope for the money.

I agree with Bob D. I have a few rifles with the Leupold 3-9 VariX II's and have never been disappointed. I would like to upgrade to a 4.5-14 VXIII someday but until then, I have been very satisfied with the Leupold VX II 3-9!

With no one telling me to go with something other than the Leupold, I guess I will go with the audience (who wants to be a millionaire) and choose the Leupold VX-II. I'm have this gun as my back-up when I do my Mt. Goat hunt, which I hope to draw in the next couple years.

Smokepole

I like the Bushnell Elite 3200 in that price range as well. I have the 4200 on a .300 mag and it performs well. I really love the "Rain Guard" coating on the lens that prevents fogging and lets you have a clear lens in the rain.

Ed

I own two Bushnell 4200 Elite scopes and love them both, also they have rainguard which eliminates the need for scope covers and if it did fog up (which it wont) but you can still see through it. You can buy a 3200 Elite from Adventure Outfitters for $180.00. Also Simmons and Redfield were bought out by a telescope company and the new Simmons is a true one piece scope with rainguard also. But personally I would buy the Bushnell 4200 Elite or the 3200 Elite. I love mine they are clear and perform well. A 4200 will run you $380.00 from Adventure Outfitters.

Adventure Outfitters ph# 1-888-935-4868

Good Luck

Burris makes a great scope. Bright and tough. Fullfield 2 is about $200. Got one on a .300 short mag and it is sweet.

With a proven track record and an incredible warranty I would reccomend the Leupold. Not sure how to spell that:)

I know people always reccomend what they already own but the truth is that I had a Tasco (Trashco) on my 7mm for years and it never hit the same spot twice. Sent it in and it was "fixed" but then it broke again.

Bought the Leo a few years later and I have had amazing results. I honestly did not think a scope could be so extremely accurate and durable. I really beat this thing up and it will hit the same spot again and again.

Get at least the VXII. Good luck.

I too am planning on putting a new scope on my 06 this year. I've done searches on several forums for opinions (including this one last fall). Several brands and models come up consistently as excellant glass, but Leupold came up as one of two makes that shined in terms of the company honoring warranty. Swarovski was the other.

I have great respect for my Burris scopes. They have been incredibly durable and have good glass. I think that the Burris Fullfield is a great scope. I recently purchased a Signature Select and I am very impressed. I absolutely love the Ballistic Plex reticle which allows you to aim with out figuring out how far "over" to hold. Sweet setup.

I also think that the Weaver Grand Slam and Nikon Monarch are terrific glass and durable scopes. Leupold is good too, but I think the the Fullfield is just as nice for $100 less with the Ballistic Plex reticle. They also have the "Forever Warranty".

This is my .02 worth. Have fun!

Firehawk

If you are looking into warranty there are five scopes that have excellent warranties. 2 are US companies and 3 are Foreign

Leupold- lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship regardless of who bought it. No receipt needed. They stand behind their product.

Burris- Burris forever warranty. Lifetime on materials and workmanship. No receipt required. They stand behind their product.

Nikon- 25 year limited warranty materials and workmanship. Lifetime NO FAULT warranty. You break it they fix it for $10. No receipt required (Nikon is probably the largest optics glass manufacturer. They supply most of the lenses for the Japaneese industry)

Swarovski- 30 years through European manufacturer. Depending on serial number (US sold scopes) limited lifetime. They stand behind their Products.

Zeiss- carries a Zeiss Forever warranty that is transferable. Warranty can be transfered by email.

Personally I think the best bang for your buck is Burris and Nikon. I own Burris and Leupold scopes and they perform flawlessly. I am going to try the Nikon next.

Dean

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom