Scope for new gun I bought

H

Hawkk33

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-04 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]Fellas,

I just bought a savage model 11 270WSM althoug it came with a scope (simmons 3x9x40) I know that I have to replace it, I am looking at the Leupold Rifleman in either 3x9x40 or 4x12x40 what are your thoughts in this scope ?

Leupold makes a quality product. I would go with a 50mm objective instead of 40mm. I would also go with the 4x12.

However; Before you purchase I would look at Kahles. Their glass is superior in my estimation. They are the oldest scope manufacturer. Their price is in same catagory as Leupold. Swarovski bought Kahles a few years ago. Very good product. Just check it out.

"We must HUNT"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-04 AT 09:35AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-04 AT 09:33?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-04 AT 09:31?AM (MST)

It sounds like you are on a budget. That being the case a Leupold Rifleman is probably a fine choice. But don't get a 50 mm scope. You will have to mount it on high rings and that will create an unnatural cheek to stock mount. In other words you will not be able to pick up the target in the scope as quickly. You want the scope as low to the gun as possible. A 40mm objective will allow this and will gather all the light you need for legal daytime hunting. The 50mm scope was made popular in Texas and similar states where you can hunt varmits (hogs) after dark legally. The proper mounting of a 40mm scope will more than make up for the very slight increase in light gathering ability of the 50 mm objective. I also prefer a 3x9. 9 power is all you will ever need in the field. 12 power is only useful shooting off a bench since the high magnification makes it very hard to hold still. It will also be a bit heavier. There is a reason why the 3X9X40 is the most popular scope choice.

As mentioned before the Kahles is a fantastic scope but is nowhere near the price range as the Leupold Rifleman. You would be hard pressed to find a Kahles or $600.

BigPig
You are right about price on the new Leupold Rifleman. I was way off.
I think I skiped over the Rifleman part when I first read his post. Sorry about that.
Like I said Leupold makes a quality product. However; I would disagree with you on the 40 vs 50 objective and the power. I have used 50mm objectives for some years now and have never experienced the site problem you described. And as far as power goes 12 is as high as I would go. You are only losing one low power by going to 4. High magnification does not make it hard to hold still. A man can only hold a rifle so still and scope power has nothing to do with it.
You do have a point though with the fact that 3x9x40 is the most popular scope. Hell I have a couple my self.
Thats my two cents.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-04 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]I hear ya SoTX. What I meat the the 12 power magnification makes the little shakes seem like big shakes. It is a bit harder to hold on small targets with higher power. It is probably a mental thing but if you place a soda can at 100 yards and shoot at it kneeling with a scope on 9 power versus a scope on 12 power and I think you will see what I mean. The theory with low scope mounts is that when you shoulder your rifle your eye will line up with the center of your scope without moving your head around to aquire a full sight picture. You may be different. There are exceptions to every rule.

You bought a Savage and you are complaining about a Simmons?? I would keep the Simmons. I have been sorely dissapointed with every Savage I have shot (have not used the 270WSM), but so far have had no trouble with a Simmons (I usaually shoot Nikon). Anyway, if you are concerned with cost, I would shoot that Simmons first and make sure you really need to replace it.

BigPig,

This is un-related to this SCOPE thread, but...

After reading your posts, I am going to take a guess that you might be the one the Montanans call "Pig"???

Any chance you are from Montana?

Thanks,
W.

A.K.A. CurDog (Born in Montana / Live in Colorado now)

I have had the opposite experience. I have two Savage rifles and never had a problem with them. They are the most accurate I own. I only had experience with one Simmons scope and would NEVER consider purchasing one.

Best scope in it's class right now is the Zeiss Conquest, 3-9x40. Can be had online for around $350.00, if you look.

If your budget is a little tighter. (As mine is at tax time), I'd go straight on with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40, for around $239.00, plus shipping. Both are excellent scopes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom