Scope Mounting?

Jerry

Just bought a new 7mm mag rifle (rem SS BDL). Planning on going with talley one peice allunimum rings(no chance for movement between rings and base) had that problems on my .300 mag leupold rings in the past. I am leaning towards a kahles 3-9 x 42mm TDS scope. My questions are? Scope experiences, Locktite in the screws? And I have heard of some kind of resign coating the rings? I am not sure how permanent I want it, but I am frustrated with finding my rifle off zero after a rough trip to the mountains. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Blue Locktite or finger nail polish is what I would use on the mounting screws. If you use red Locktite, you probably won't get them out without drilling and retapping your barrel. I had a problem with a S & B scope moving on my 300 RUM. I picked up a can of general automotive adhesive and applied a light coat to both the rings and scope with a cotton swab. I let things tack up per the directions and mounted the scope. Haven't had a problem with the scope moving in the rings since. It also cleans off nicely with acetone. One thing I'd note is the adhesive only needs applied to the center area of the rings and at the same contact area on the scope. Otherwise you'll have goo squishing out at the edges of your rings which will require additional clean up. I let things sit for a week before I went out to the range for the first time. On my lighter recoil, lighter scope weight rifles, the adhesive hasn't been necessary.

BB gave you some good advice, I would like to add that before you loctite, or fingernail polish, be sure to degrease the screws and the tap holes so the loctite or nail polish will take hold. I prefer to use the above adhesive on both the mount and ring screws to prevent them from backing out due to vibration.

RELH

A LESSON IN LOCTITE

FIND THE SET UP YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH FOR LIFE!!!

THEN OUT COMES THE 'RED' LOCTITE!!!

YOU COULDN'T KNOCK MY SCOPE OFF THE GUN IF YOU WANTED TOO!!!

TRIED THE BLUE,THE SHOCK OF THE 600 GRAIN SLUG BROKE THE BLUE LOOSE INSTANTLY,THE RED IS STILL HOLDING SO FAR!!!

IF AND WHEN THE GUN GOES,THE SCOPE GOES WITH IT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF WE PUT SOME RED LOCTITE ON BOBCATMESS'S LIPPS IF HE'D SHUT HIS TRAP???

Bobcat,
I think we would start with Blue and see if it would work on you. Maybe those 600 grains you throw out might jar it loose. If they do, then on to the Red.

LOL

Bowhunt,

I have a better idea that might work on the old Bobcat. We will use the Devcon one ton apoxy that I use on knife scales. I just have to figure out which end of the Bobcat we need to glue shut.

P.S. Bobcat, Boy! did you walk into that one.

Good Hunting
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom