scope question

5point

having trouble figuring this out? is it better to have your scope as close as possible to your barrel or farther away for a cds type dial? I want to get this maximum amount out of my cds!!

As close to the center line as possible. But with big 50 mm plus scopes. It gets pushed up higher and higher. Just keep it as close to your barrel as possible with out hitting and record that number for you CDS scope.

"Maximun amount" is dependent on scope tube size and travel of the erector assy. Many of use a 20 MOA rail so our zero is near the btm of the travel.

I understand what a 20 moa does(slightly angles scope down in front) so does lowering your scope as close to barrel do the same thing? I'm putting an zeiss hd5 5x25 on an xbolt and want to get the most of scope, what are your recommendations?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-16 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]>I understand what a 20 moa
>does(slightly angles scope down in
>front) so does lowering your
>scope as close to barrel
>do the same thing? I'm
>putting an zeiss hd5 5x25
>on an xbolt and want
>to get the most of
>scope, what are your recommendations?
>

Lowering your scope on the same plane (without a taper) does not increase useable "clicks" (enough to matter anyway). Answering "most" out of your scope is hard to answer... first, what is the gun capable of and what do you want to do with it? There's no point in throwing money at tapered rails, rings, etc if your goal is to dial mid ranges and you already have ample dialing capabilities. Also, no point in putting enough taper on to accommodate 1,500 yards if your ballistics are spent at 700; if that makes sense. Also, need to be realistic with capability of the optics you are dealing with. Maybe the gun can do it, but does the scope provide clear enough optics for shooting past X range?... hopefully some of that helps you out.

shooting 300 wsm. definitely not looking to shoot animals at long distances, but I do love shooting long distances at the range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom