Scope trouble

HiMtnHntr

Very Active Member
I like things solid and tight and so when I put a Nikon 3-9 on my favorite .06 some years back I blue loctited the screws....every last one. Well, the rifle is solid, but I'm tinkering I want that scope off. I've managed to free the back ring, but the front two screws won't budge. I've been through 3 torx-heads and I'm running out of ideas. I want to salvage the rings, of course, but also the screws if possible as I'm not aware of anywhere to get these screws. Am I screwd?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-06 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Try soaking it in kroil if possible,for afew days, kroil will loosen up most anything, then take off the stock,vise it up well, and use an impact driver (the kind you hit on top with a hammer) that should get them out. you can get new torx head screws from brownells.

To break the loc-tite seal on the screws will require about 300-350 degrees of heat. The only problem with using a torch is getting the heat to stay in the area of the screws and stay away from the scope where you might damage seals or other inner works.
A good safe way would be to heat a 16 penny nail, sharp end, to red hot and touch it to the screw head for about 15-20 seconds. this should heat the screw enought to break the seal. may have to do it twice to each screw. I would advise to replace the screws afterwards, why take the chance on a bad screw causing problems down the line.

RELH

Excellent idea by RELH there, that would be my guess for the best solution.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

If RELH's plan wont get it done as a last resort pick a drill bit that is a little smaller than the screw head and drill the heads just until they pop off, then with small vice grips you can remove them. with the scope off then you can use heat if you have to, I've done it several times and it works pretty good.

I ended up drilling the heads off of the screws, which freed the rings without damaging them. I checked with brownells and they told me that the smallest diameter screw they have is .162". Now I have a problem because mine are smaller, about .125". The rings were purchased about 7-8 years ago. Anybody know where I can find these apparently obsolete screws?

Has anyone else used Loc-tite on their rings before?

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

> Has anyone else used Loc-tite
>on their rings before?
>
>Justin
>
> - Long-Range, The next best
>thing to being there !!!!
>

my gunsmith said don't do it, as you can see he's right, i put alittle watered down wood glue on the threads just to keep 'em from vibrating loose, they come off pretty well as I just replaced my scope this week end but they're hex heads screws...

I would take it to a gunsmith.

In the future use clear fingernail polish. Works great, won't loosen and can be remoevd when necessary.
You may want to get a girlfriend that has the polish handy when you need it?

TM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom