Scope tubes 1" or 30mm Which is better?

excaliber

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-09 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]I was looking at some VX3's the other day.

I was looking at the 4.5x14x40 and the guy behind the counter said " you would be better off jumping up to the long range model with the 30mm tube for only $60.00". He said it would be much better than the 1" tube VX3.

He said the 40 mm objective lens with the 30mm tube would have better light transmission than the 50mm lens with the 1" tube. He said the 1" tube only lets so much light in and once you get over 40MM there is really no difference.

I'm not sure one way or the other. What do you guys think?

I think it's a common misconception that the larger tube allows more light. In fact, the size of the objective defines the light gathering potential of the scope.

The main advantage of the 30mm tube is a greater range of adjustment. You have more elevation to play with to be able to dial in longer ranges.

With a medium power cartridge and 1" tube you may run out of elevation at the greater distances. This can be overcome with the use of an angled base though.

Tell the guy behind the counter he's full of Sheet...

Size of the tube has nothing to do w/ light gathering....

Like Edlebrock said... The bigger tube allows a greater range of adjustment...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I just recently got the 4.5x14x40 with out the adjustable objective and wish I would have gotten the long range model instead. The scope wasn't as bright as I had expected, it seemed comparable to my burris fullfield II. Now this was in the middle of the day and I expect the leupold to be better at lower light conditions or at least I hope it is. I had The main reason is the long range model has the side focus, I can not seem to get the scope adjusted to my eye perfectly. Don't get me wrong it is a nice scope but it just didn't meet my expectations. If you are looking at the 4.5x14x40 with the boone & crokett reticle in silver finish let me know I will make you a deal.

I'm looking at the Matte finish model. That's a bummer the scope wasn't what you expected. I wasn't sure if the 50mm lens made that big of a difference. I didn't know if the tube size had a huge effect on the scopes ability to transfer the available light to the eye.
I guess the 50mm lens with the 30 mm tube would be the way to go but I'm not so sure I'd like the scope that high off the gun.

If you get the right scope, some can handle a 30mm tube plus a 50mm lens and still fit in a medium ring. I use a Burris Black Diamond with that combination on my .388 and love it. Its a long scope so the bell is out in front of the chamber area on the barrel, thus not needing high rings.

2a0fcsk.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom