scopes

P

pricem

I am going to buy a scope in about two weeks to put on my 7mm STW as I prepare to go on a black bear hunt this August in Arizona. I am trying to decide between a Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon, Kahles, Burris, Leupold. I was there last year and I could not believe the distances and my 3x9 just did not cut it. I have researched for five months and read everything I could fine. It all gets down to resolution, ablity to stand up to the recoil, the scopes ablity to track correctly, variable power,40mm for low mounting and weight. I could really use some suggestion or comments at this point. Money is not the issue when it comes to buying a scope but still want the best value for the buck ($500.00-$1000.00). Please help me out. What do you think? pricem

Burris? One you failed to mention is Bushnell "Elite". It seems to be getting good reviews on the shooting boards. I have a couple, but the jury is still out. As for the rest, I have lots of Leupold's. Made in America ;-). Although I have Zeiss, Leica, and Fujinon binocs I have a hard time spending the really big $$$ on scopes. I glass with my binocs.

That said, I have a Leupold VXIII on my STW. Plenty pricey. I would love to be able to rationalize spending the money for a Swarovski, but haven't figured out how. Maybe someday I'll pull one of the scope websites, take my credit card out, and get really drunk. :)

Thank you for the great response. I have considered the Leupold which a guide friend of mine uses in his hunting in Arizona. He uses a 6.5-20x40 vx-III. I am torn between the scope just mentioned and the Swarovski 4-12x40 TDS. It will be interesting to see the responses. Can't wait to make up my mind so I can get started with working up my loads. pricem

I should add that some people claim to have had difficulties with Nikon's warranty. No such issues with Leupold.

i can't even count all my leupolds, so it's more than all my fingers toes and i think that comes to like 22 or something, if you count the 2 webbed ones. and i've never had a problem with even one that was the fault of the scope. i've flat destroyed a couple and sent them back and they were repaired free of charge with no questions asked. and they are real accurate and hold zero well. all the scopes you mentioned are quality optics, but for me, it's leupold.

I am fast leaning in the direction of the VX-III 6.5-20x40mm. I toy with the idea of a Shepherd 6-18x40 but have heard that warranty claims can be a problem. The resolution number are very good on a Shepherd. Well I have given my self about 10 more days and I will make the big buy. pricem

Think I may be able to help you here. I used to hunt and guide in Arizona and I, too, have an STW (great rifle for western hunting). The first scope I put on it was a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x, which was just too much scope for hunting anything but varmints. I tried several and went with the Vari-X III 4.5-14x, which I have found to be ideal: plenty of power, clarity, good shot-to-shot adjustability and repeatability for an STW. I checked out Zeiss and, although optically they were superior, I found their mechanics to be a bit wanting. The only other option was a Swarovski, but I thought they were a bit too pricey, so I stayed with Leupold Vari-X IIIs on my STW and others and haven't looked back.

Venado muy grande!

i would go with the leopold.made in usa and lifetime warranty.
never had a problem.
hicountry

I have all the scopes you have mentioned, they are all very good. One you didn't mention is the Leica, I have a 4.5x14x42mm that I had on a custom 7stw it is a very nice scope, went to a Swarovski 6x24 is the reason I took it off I really liked the compact size of this scope It has the 30mm tube which really is much brighter then the 1inch tubes, I would highly recommmend you get a 30mm in which ever scope you get. If interested I would make you a good deal on the Leica.

I personally had some problems with the leopold 4.5 x 14 x50
I blew the reticals out twice and shoot something equivalant to the 30-378
I then switched to swarovski, at first the 6x24 then had a problem when a deer or elk jump up at under 100 yards the 6 power was just to hard to find the animal in a reasonable time so I switched to the swarovski 4x16x50 tds and it's the best scope I will ever own clearity or light transmission is unbelievable
If possable do this test it will win you over
take a leopold and a swarovski scope outside around 7 pm or 730 pm and look at a colorful bush or plant at approx 50 yards away after looking through the leopold look thew the swarovski and hands down you will see the difference. the reason for the test is hunting is best at first light and last light the leopold will hinder you from seeing what potentionally might be the monster that you have been waiting for
If you live on the west side of phx I would more than be happy to show you the difference I own the leopold 4.5x14x50 and the 6x24x50 swarovski and the 4x16x50 swarovski once you see the difference you to will be hooked
e mail me if I can help you
[email protected]
Dom

Leupold is the way to go in my opinion. Thats all I have and ever will have. Just to tell you why. We were hunting elk and we started out that morning on horseback. We rode up on elk out in a meadow and two of us killed elk right then and there. We rode to the downed elk , and as I got down to hobble my horse the horse took off to the smell of blood. We found the horse three hours later with no rifle in the scabbard. We back tracked the horse and found that my rifle had fell out of the scabbard, when the horse stumbled and fell on very steep hill and my gun ended up in the middle of a big pile of rocks. We took th egun out that next day and it was hitting right where it was supposed to be hitting 2 inches high at 100 yards. What a scope with the banging it took.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom