Scoping my Muzzy

Servehim

Very Active Member
Drew a couple of deer tags with my Muzzy this year, both NM and Utah allow scopes , so I'm plugging in one on my White. I'm shooting 100 gr Triple 7 with 480 gr bullets. If I want it zeroed in at 100yds where should I get it started at 25 yds? Thanks in advance guys. Plan on using a Leupold VX-II 2x7x28 ultra lite I have on another gun right now Anyone have a concern about that?

You don't need a 480 grain bullet for NM deer, I use 240-250, with 100 black horn. My CVA is sighted in at 1.5 @ 100 yards. Here in NM you longest shoot shouldn't exceeded 150 yards.

Sight in so you're on the bull at 25 yards and this will put you close enough so you can then move out to 100 and fine tune from there.

I too would want to sight in a bit high at 100 and figure out at what range you're back on the bull. (Like 1.5 high at 100 and dead on at 140 or so) This should extend your effective range without having a hugely high mid-range trajectory.

2 cents,
Zeke

Thanks guys. Yes Zeke that's my plan when sighting in my muzzy with new scope @ 2" high at 100 yds. Just wanted a
little wisdom on where to start initially at 25 yds. Elkextreme , I haven't shot a lot with saboted lighter bullets thus far but I know the heavy solids shoot great though way overkill. Thanks again

I am shooting a Barnes 295 grain TMZ with 150 of 777 in my Triumph.
I mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 with their CDS system. I sighted in at 100 yards then sent info off to them for them to make a dial for my load. It works very well, I just dial to range and fire. I have tested out to 300 yards and it has done the job.

XZone, sounds like you sir have got it going with your scoped Muzzy. Good job, not sure my shoulder would be smiling much at 150 gr. Hats off ?

LAST EDITED ON May-16-16 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]As I understand it, UT eliminated the 1x scope restriction correct? I'd heard it was proposed but then removed but based on a Dec. 2015 post, I believe the scope restriction is now removed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm in NM &I shoot 100gr of BH in my TC Omega w/250 Barnes TEZ.
I have a Nikon MZ BDC I got in 06'and 2" hi @ 100 = zero @ 200,so anything inside(my range) is fine.

I'm going to get a Leupold scope now as I don't like the BDC rings.
I also always start my scope sight in's @ 25 yrds,then 50,then 100.

Colo, they approved no scope restrictions in Utah effective this year. Hank im a NM guy as well, my dads name is Henry but he goes by Hank. Just today I got my Leupold vx2 2x7 mounted on my Muzzy. I've always shot heavy 480 gr conicals but went to Sportsmans today and bought some 300 gr Hornadys to experiment with. Two muzzy deer hunts this year, Utah 1000 Lakes and the Guads in NM. I have been using 100 gr of Triple 7 behind the big conicals so will probably continue that with sabots , I've been very happy with performance with conicals but looking to see how far I can shot accurately with sabots. Did you draw any tags in NM?

>I'm in NM &I shoot 100gr
>of BH in my TC
>Omega w/250 Barnes TEZ.
>I have a Nikon MZ BDC
>I got in 06'and 2"
>hi @ 100 = zero
>@ 200,so anything inside(my range)
>is fine.
>
>I'm going to get a Leupold
>scope now as I don't
>like the BDC rings.
>I also always start my scope
>sight in's @ 25 yrds,then
>50,then 100.

hank have u tried shooting 3 pellets on that load?

>XZone, sounds like you sir have
>got it going with your
>scoped Muzzy. Good job,
>not sure my shoulder would
>be smiling much at 150
>gr. Hats off ?

Setup is working well, and yeah my should feels it at the end of a day at the range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom