Score this antelope

C

c86man3

This guy was about 20 yards off the road yesterday and I snapped some pics. I'm thinking upper 70's, maybe 77-78? Although, he may be less than that. I'm having a hard time judging his length measurements. He isn't that tall, but he has some good curl. This is a Utah goat.

7420dscn0727.jpg

1163dscn0728.jpg

I'd go around 75-76", maybe a tad less as his last couple mass measurements may knock him down a bit. If I draw a tag this year, I'd shoot him the second week of a hunt if I hadn't seen anything better. He'd make a very nice mount, especially with the ivory tips.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]>When do antelope fully grow their
>horns. Could this buck still
>have some growing to do?
>

Good question, I did a little google search and the only thing I saw was "Mid-summer". So maybe he has a little growing to do, but probably not much.

Antelope are sure tough to judge, but I'd guess maybe 73"-74". His height is just OK, but the bigger issue is the mass which is lacking. OK cutters though, but regardless of the score its a really nice looking buck with a good overall shape to the horns and would make a fine trophy.

My guess is upper 70's. 78 or so. I know that is higher than most guesses, but that goat has a huge head and I think it is making it look smaller than he is.

Just a guess based on a few P&Y bucks that I've shot with my bow: 72-75"
He's a beaut with excellent prongs!
Zeke

74 - 76. He has the length and carries what mass he has to the tips. He's a good buck and I'd take him later in the hunt if I didn't find anything better. Unless this is an archery hunt then I'd let the arrow fly first chance I got.

I have read where antelope grow their prongs and tops in the winter and then finish growing below the prongs throughout the summer finally finishing out in mid to late July.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

>When do antelope fully grow their
>horns. Could this buck still
>have some growing to do?
>

In mike Eastmans book "Hunting Trophy Antelope" it says they are fully done by mid august, the prong snd up is done growing so from here on he will just gain length and mass. That is accrording to the book i would put him around 74 right now

Yep, huntin50 nailed it, look at the eye. His mass is only average and that is what hurts him the most with his score. He is only a 72-74" goat at the most. Still a cool looking buck!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-12 AT 03:03AM (MST)[p]70"-72" No mass, short prong, maybe 14" long but I think he might be closer to 13" long.

"Go hunt for meat at Wall Mart."

I gave my guesstimate earlier and I compared it to some of the goats I have at home and my earlier guess was way high. I payed a little more attention and I agree with everyone else now, that goat is low 70's at best.

My gut tells me low 70's my conservative score based on 60 seconds of looking at it comes out like this
L 13 1/2
M1 5 1/2
M2 5 1/2
M3 3
M4 3
P 5
=35 1/2
X2
TOTAL 71

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom