score??

4a9c828e32f6e9d8.jpg

gotta include the .jpg

Any more pics? Prongs are critical as well as a side view to guess on the mass measurements. He looks plenty long enough though!

You cannot guess, mass, length, or prongs. Sorry. No way to guess this one. If I had to take a WAG based on what I see 65"?

Yep, I'm with the others. Dam tough to judge from that angle. Appears to be maybe 14'' with the way he curls. Looks like decent mass. No tellin' on the cutters. My WAG would be around 70. Oh, I'm no expert but I've killed about 15 of 'em ( New mex, Wyo, Montana) GOOD LUCK. Chip

How many? Oh maybe 10-12. 2 book goats. That is all. Sorry I dont know much other than the goat in the photo is an immature dink.

Hey Guys

I apologize for the not so great photo and more than realize a good side view would help...maybe I'll get some more of this fellow...... I can tell you he's in the 15-16 inch range with some great prongs

KTC Glad you've killed a couple book bucks always great to harvest great trophies....not sure where you see an immature dink though..maybe you just hear that alot at home???

Good one! Ouch! However shaft, if you wanna a pecker contest it wont even be close!;-)

Dude, that was a harsh comment about your goat, however, he is not a big goat, not even close. I can also assure you that goat is no where near 15 let alone 16. Look at some of the NM guides web pages and those are 15-16 inch goats. If I am wrong I will eat my words. You asked for a guess on score and I gave you one. If you are so certain he is 16 and has great prongs that will tell you what he scores and no need to ask.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]Hey Shaft, you gotta ease up a little man. You asked for opinions and you got 'em. Don't be so quick to jump on people for giving you what you asked for. KTC is correct. Maybe not a dink but based upon 20 years of Antelope hunting I'd say that is not a 15 inch goat. You seem to think he's pretty good. Thats fine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Kill him, put a tape on him, and tell us how wrong we were. Good luck. Chip

I totally agree chip. If you like that buck go pound him, you are the only one that needs to be pleased, not me. I hope you get him and he scores 90".

Based on my knowledge of goat hunting, I dont see 15-16 inches. Below is a link to a 16 0/8" to 16 1/8" goat depending on how you measer and which horn. Do you see a difference? Can you honestly tell me your goat is in the same league? Like I said, if you like your goat go kill him. I just gave you an opinion.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/1504.html

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 01:30PM (MST)[p]15" buck, 83 6/8 gross 82 net. will be coming thru fair chase shortly.
I post this to show you need more angles to judge a pronghorn, no way would i give this buck 6 1/8 prongs by seeing just this pic, but he's got them.

IMG-1.jpg

Nice buck RD! Hopefully mine will be coming thru shortly as well. Very good mass up high!

shaft look at the prongs on your buck. To be a big mature buck the prongs will be well above the ears. These prongs appear to me to be level with the ears. Give the ears 7".

There is really no way to guess a score from that photo, nor the dead one that is boone. From what I see of the top live buck, it's definitely not an immature dink though. Somebody's just trying to be a know-it-all #####. I'd say it's 15 in length from the photo, but the score could vary from high 60s to low 80s depending on the mass and prong measurements that cannot be told from one angle. Good luck in getting him. I've got a big one found for this year too.

KTC, he slipped in at 82. i shot him around the first of oct, and hem hawed around till April before i had him measured!

My good gawd SPAZ! I know that was directed at me. Sorry I ever posted a guess or an opinion. SPAZ is right. He is 16" all day long and should go book. You guys never wanted any opinions you just wanted to show off.

I would like to see a better pic RD. I like long prongs and we cant see them. 82 gross is a great goat!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 06:55PM (MST)[p]hard to put in perspective without the head, but here are some side shots.(maybe i shoulda backed up a little)

prongs004.jpg

prongs005.jpg

prongs003.jpg

prongs002-1.jpg

REDDOG, great buck! ktc, was it you that said that top photo was an immature dink? If what's your guesses on these.. from one angle (the front).. granted the photos suck - like the first one. are they all dinks? or just a couple of them? don't be shy..
TrailerTrashBuckfront.jpg

Stubby3.jpg

pipes.jpg

Very very impressive REDDOG! Wow on the mass and progs! How did they measure mas above the prong on the split horn? Did they just wrap the tape around or follow down inside the split?

I dont care how big they are SPAZ.

come on ktc.. admit it, without some guide telling you to shoot, you've no clue. :D It's okay though - don't be angry. You gotta start somewhere.

You stupid ass. Since you asked I have never had a guide in my life. I have a clue, probably a lot better one than you think. Why waste my time? I would not shoot any of them because I cannot see a side view? WTF do you want from me? What are you trying to prove? Because you have seen all 3 on the hoof you want me to guess on a chitty picture so you can flood me with your wisdom? You can say what you want but that first buck is not a shooter in my book. That was the damn question, what does he score and I gave you an opinion. You want to compare trophies on DIY hunts lets do it smart mouth.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 10:35?PM (MST)

KTC, that split fell directly on the mass measurement, to my surprise he wrapped the tape right over the top of it!

which would have been cool, except that was the bigger horn, so it just wound up being more deduction.

spaz, no way to tell for sure. but from what i can see the middle one has my attention, any other shots of him?

Take this to a PM if you have any more ignorant remarks?

RD, that is wierd? I always thought they moved the tape up so the tape was on horn material all the way around? I thought that was taboo to ever bridge a tape? The last one I killed has 2 creases up the side of one horn is why I asked. I believe you can see it on one pic? Your goat has much better mass than my last one and better prongs by a bit. Very nice buck. Wyoming right?

I'm still puzzled at why you guys have jumped on KTC ? Oh well,
I guess it'll be awhile before some are willing to provide answers to your questions. ( and that whole guide reference is irrelevant and uncalled for ) Anyway since I'm still willing to offer opinions the 3 latest photos aren't immature dinks but they don't appear to be what most would refer to as ''Trophy Antelope'' either. GOOD LUCK. Chip

hey relax guys.. just scratchign my head to ktc's classification of the top buck as an immature dink.. odd.

ktc, as for no guides ever in your life, didn't you type this?? Maybe I read it wrong. No biggie either way.. guides are fine, some guys really need them.

"Next was the goat. I hunted an area with very few goats. I was not finding anything but two little dinks. Travis Scott of Southwest Hunting Adventures lined me up with a good friend of his Tom McReynolds of Black Mountain Outfitters. Tom took me out personally and showed me my goat. These two guys are great people and I would highly recommend either of them for NM or Arizona. I finally met Travis and he is a very nice guy. I was able to go kill Tom's goat. He measures about 83" with good mass, great length, and awesome prongs."

As for the 3 non-trophy antelope above, it seems the top is ruled out as a dink? No chance of it being a 16" booner?? The middle appears to be really short. The last is a good close up photo.. Can't anybody guess lengths from these shots. Top and bottom goats are MT, middle is from Wyoming. I wouldn't recommend guessing scores, as it's impossible to do from one angle.. or is it?

Happy guessing.. stop being so angry.. all in fun. Take a little ribbing without getting so worked up about sucking at judging goats. Like I said, tough to recognize some BIG ones from one shot. :D

Gotta go... ELK are taunting me.

since you insist, they all look like piss heads.

how you would expect anyone to know by those pics is beyond me. the last one is a definite piss head
the middle one is short, but I've seen 13 inchers go 82. the first one, really? why bother with speculation?

Well KTC didn't pay a dime to either Travis or Tom nor was Tom or Travis present when KTC killed his buck. Just because a guide shows someone around doesn't mean he went guided. I'm sure a lot of DIY guy's have gotten info from guides. I know that for a fact because I get a ton of emails all the time from DIY guys probing me for info.

As a matter of fact Travis met KTC here on MM about three years ago and have made friends here. When Travis found out KTC got his goat tag Travis contacted him with info leading to this buck. It was just a friend helping a friend.

why doesn't anybody want to play guess the length or score on a crap photo? Isn't that what this topic was about - just like so many other threads? I've give a hint, the top is the lowest scoring of the three... how tall is he? You guys are afraid that I'm going to slap down some kill photos with these bucks and official score sheets? :D :D

Don't let big sensative hunter egos ruin a good time and a fun game..

It's okay to suck at judging antelope.. it happens to everybody, especially rookies like you guys. :D

I'm not afraid to play. I've probably mis-judged more goats that all of you put together.

It's a tough photo, and I can't even be sure I'd guess him within 10 inches. Can't tell if I'm looking at 2 horns or one on that side by side shot. I can tell you I'd damn sure wait until he turned because his prongs could be longer than they look due to flare or curl in. Definately a mature buck, I'd guess close to 15 in length.. if that's all I had to look at him, I'd give him good lower mass, mediocre above the prong, 13.25 below, 6 above. Total swag on the prong.. say 5, which might be a gift. so what's that around 78. That's my guess, I could be way off.. I'm trying to gift him, he could be a lot smaller, but he's a pretty nice looking buck. Congrats if you shot him.

Thanks mesquite. This thread has gone downhill fast. Yes Travis and Tom are friends of mine. Yes they helped me out. Yes they deserve a good word. Yes I was alone. Yes I would put and guy wanting a guide in their laps. Good friends are a must when hunting out of state. One thing I have tried to do is give and take with good people.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]I just got an English lesson also. Thanks SPAZ!

Feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud feud.

Wont do that again!

I really feel Tom and Travis were a huge part of my goat! No doubt about it! When all is said and done they are very good, selfless, professional people, and friends.

I jumped on shaft when I gave him a guess, and he fired back with how many you killed? He did not like my answer, nor did he like the ribbing, about his question based on his photo. I should have not called that goat a dink. It is disrespectful to the goat.;-) Based solely on the photo I have, I am looking more. Maybe I am leaving a 90" buck, but again, based on the photo I am leaving.

Have fun fellars, I am bowing out. Hopefully shaft kills his goat and he is a monster.

Way to go REDDOG! Geez!;-)

This has been proof read and I am submitting it to be graded now.;-)

Thanks REDDOG! I beat teacher to it!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 10:37AM (MST)[p]shaft,

I am excited to see better photos of your goat. I really am, contrary to belief, my competetive spirit left me years ago and I appreciate a large animal by whomever. I am sticking to my guns for now that is not a very big goat. I will eat my words, and hopefully I do, with better pics.

I bet REDDOG can post the pics for you?

btw REDDOG, that last got photo, in all honesty, I would have given him 80-81.

sorry shaft,I missed that post. I sent you a PM.

KTC, me and a buddy both had that buck at 79 4/8 when I killed him. after drying out for a month I put a tape on him again, just to see if it may be worth having him officially measured and came up with 78 2/8.

I will admit I ain't good enough to decipher an inch give or take, especially from a photo.

Interestingly, both those bucks were killed within rifle range of each other, two years apart.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 05:36?PM (MST)

here is the pics shaft sent. he has a tag in an area that doesn't produce big bucks very often, and would like any input as to the score.

I have put them on photobucket and zoomed in, and I still cant judge him, just cant see him clear enough. but I think he is better than what I was originally thought, somewhere between 76- but thats still a WAG on my part. what do ya think?

dd1.jpg

dd2.jpg

dd3.jpg

dd4-1.jpg

here is a pic of a bow kill he sent also
dd5.jpg

That is a sweet buck you killed shaft. I like the dark cape and the very good prongs.

Okay, the buck above looks better than I thought also. I think the one you killed is bigger than the alive one however, the alive one I would guess mid 70's to mid upper 70's?

Good luck getting him!

Wow! That archery taken buck is a pretty one.

Here's a better photo of the smallest of the three non "trophy" buck photos I linked on, the top one though certainly a non-shooter unless you are trigger happy for non-trophy bucks like I am.
DSCN0710.jpg

Here's another shot of that bottom one I posted, alive. He was a tough one to judge, I underjudged him by about 5" when I took the photo in the summer of 2005. He was taken a few weeks later by a bowhunter over a waterhole. He's tied for #2 in the MT P&Y records at 83 6/8 net. He's got pipish mass, round horns and was mid 15s in length, cupped in prongs that are longer than they look.
pipes2005.jpg

Speaking of pipish round horns. Here's a couple shots of the biggest of the three, the middle one. He's got super mass and great prong, just short, still book - with ease.
Stubby9.jpg

Stubby7.jpg

I was thinking the middle one was a little bunyan! I still cant see 83-6/8 on the one, but that's why I really try and stay out of photo judging...normally!

Thanks for the compliment... that buck is about as handsome as a buck could get..not the biggest but great shape and colors. Well I'll keep searching and see if i ever find that ONE.. Good Luck to all this fall!!!

I love that dark cape on your bow kill shaft. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

From those other photos - I'll throw out a better guess. 15 1/4 on length, 12.5 bottom mass, 6 above, 4 3/4 prong, gross around 77. +/- 2 inches I bet. Not a dink, but unlikely a book caliber goat. Very nice buck. Living in MT I have the luxury of looking at piles of true immature dinks. That one would certainly be in the upper 10% of our pronghorns statewide. Good luck.

Thanks..that's about where I've had him a very good buck for Idaho but I keep hearing if you want an 80 this is the hunt but we havent found one yet....... Found one that's 16 and very heavy but has almost no prong maybe 2 incher's......... what a dilemma huh I just need to forget it and go enjoy hunting and I'll know it when I see him!!!!!! I shouldnt get hooked up on score

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom