Scouting by air in Utah

crimedog

Does anyone know what the Laws are? I know once should be ethical, not flying low enough to spook animals, not doing it at any time during hunts to mess up someone else's hunt but are there laws about when you can and cant do it?

Two rules to remember.

Rule #1 Never fly after mid August or 48 hours prior to ANY big game season through the end of the year. Because there is always some big game season in progress.

Rule #2 Never harass or frighten any animal from the air. To do so would violate the Federal Airborn Hunting Act and state law. So plan on having your aircraft seized and becoming a felon for so much as "disturbing" "annoying" or "harrying" an animal.

Buy a good drone! ??

Or, do what 90% of the nimrods do, scout from a vehicle or ATV. Do ATVs when driven on a designated road harass deer?

LAST EDITED ON May-23-16 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-23-16 AT 08:25?AM (MST)

Scouting for big deer on foot away from roads and trails in secluded basins or deep canyons in July and August is something I enjoy and look forward to just as much as the hunting season. It makes the experience that much more meaningful and exciting to me.

Yes it kicks my butt and gets me into shape for when the season begins but it also will make it all that much more rewarding if I ever put my hands on a big old Muley.

I'll have my wife drop me off in one spot and pick me up somewhere on the other side of the mountain range two days later.
It's almost that time to do it again and I can't wait. Hopefully the camera will have some decent pictures of some bruisers.

I won't tear down those who scout by other methods. I just enjoy the peace and quiet and seclusion by which the method that I choose. It gives an extraordinary feeling inside when you know it's just you, the mountain, and the critters.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

The following may enlighten you, maybe others also.

I had to respond to an airport on a report of an attempted Homicide. Long story short, guy's in an aircraft were scouting and pissed off folks on the ground opened up with high powered Rifles. The aircraft had Bullet holes everywhere but no one was hit.

They did not know they were being shot at until a seat back cushion exploded. However, as fast as an aircraft may travel, they were repeatedly hit, canyon after canyon. Few people learn of such events but it was clear, "MANY" completely different ground people reacted in the same manner and, over many miles.

No Suspects were ever developed. Justice served = ? :)

I can understand one dumb hothead shooting at a plane. Canyon after canyon of hunters shooting at it. I don't buy it.

Even though you would like to shoot at the plane, can you imagine killing a plane full of people over an elk or deer?

Frankly, I didn't buy into their story. My thoughts were on Insurance Fraud. Then I learned "Who" they were. The last thing anyone of them needed was money. Highly wealthy. Then my thoughts went towards a Marijuana Grow. Neither panned out.

The media saw the report and reported it. After more than a year of investigations, even some undercover in local bars and elsewhere, nothing surfaced. If it helps cannonball, the canyons were narrow yet did extend more miles/distance than we (LE) could grasp. I didn't mention specific details mostly because if a Fact surfaces, the case will reopen. But I will mention something that became open to the public and not known to me initially. Such is that the "Areas" were Public and Private and a prized Hunting area for those who had access.

I find more than one, hard to believe fact. Both unheard of to me. First, Hitting any aircraft flying is more than difficult (Baring the Red Baron in WWI). To have many Bullet holes is more unbelievable yet, I was standing their looking at them. Here is even a more difficult fact: It was "Their" 2nd time and second aircraft in the same areas that had been shot-up. They never mentioned to me, this part. Also, they had Rifles and it's been my feelings (Hunch) that after the first shootings, they may have returned, loaded and flying low. Then shot back. Lord only knows what truly happened. Either 1+ was kicked out of a Hunting Club/Group or they were messing with the wrong group of strangers (Hunters) who did not approve of flyovers....?

It's not, by far, the craziest call I went to. I toss things like this into the back of my memory but when I saw the post subject, it all came back. I've seen vehicles pushed off hillsides by ...?... while the vehicle owner hiked into private lands. Seen vehicles shot-up under same parameters, and more. I made the post not to convince anyone of an unsolved case but rather, to just mention some folks are very possessive of their Hunting areas. Or we have Nut-Jobs out there..?

I hate to further digress from the original request for information per the original post...but I'm going to since I've seen scouting during season.

In 2011 my buddy had a Wasatch archery tag. I flew out to call for him and get some experience. We were stalking a bedded bull I glassed up in a slam dunk spot. He wasn't far from loosing an arrow and a yellow Piper Cub buzzed us by the waters and blew the bull out. The guy in the back seat and I were looking at each other with binoculars. I "greeted" him appropriately with the only sign language I know.

To this day I'm pissed I didn't remain composed enough to write down his plane number. It was incredibly legible. Good grief I was a structural engineer at an Aerospace company at the time too. Should've known better.

Years ago, I and a friend of mine had some hunters fly over on a spike we were hunting spooking the elk and I knew those flyers. There was no law at that time and a fist-fight wasn't worth a stinking spike. I let him know he was close to getting shot down, but of course I would have never done so. People are crazy about their animals, but do they realize their consequences should they kill someone.

We had some dope growers on the Boulders Mountains a few years ago and I would rather think shots may have come from someone like that.

Was Working a Big Bull several years ago up near the Utah/Wyoming Border when This JOKER decided to put the Whole Herd back on DL&L!

No!

We didn't Shoot at Him But I believe it crossed a few Minds!

89426copterslam.jpg

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Thanks for all the replies. If we do it (more an excuse to fly some) It will be before any seasons. I just wanted to make sure we knew what the laws were.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom