Scouting for the 2024 Elk Tag.

Jayman

Thanks to everyone who helped me last year draw my 2022 Arizona archery Elk tag. I have 18 NR points for LE elk in Utah and would like to draw an archery tag for 2024, looking at the odds it appears Wasatch, Manti and maybe Fishlakes units are possible. I will be in these areas within the next 30 days and have 3 to 4 days to scout mainly glass to decide on what to apply for next year. And suggestions on a unit for a mature bull I'm not looking for a specific spot. Thanks

All 3 of those units are fairly equal in terms of trophy quality and hunting pressure. The archery hunt on all 3 gets a lot of pressure from deer hunters and spike/cow elk hunters. Manti has the largest herd of elk in the state.

All 3 units are very large as well - 3 to 4 days would be a nice start in one unit, but how do you plan to check out all 3 in that timeframe? I would narrow down to the one you want to hunt and spend those 3-4 days in that specific unit.

Road access is decent in all of those units, all three of those units also have good genetics and high numbers of mature bulls. Manti and Wasatch def have the highest elk populations in the state. They are both capable of producing 400" elk though not often. I'd give Manti an edge over Wasatch for average elk quality, but for top end animals I would go with the Wasatch. I honestly don't know enough about the Fishlake unit, but have heard quality is down overall. Mind you in northern Utah a lot of the bulls have stunted antler growth from the last winter.

Not sure if you can swing it being a NR and maybe already having other fall plans, but might be worth buying an OTC archery elk tag for the unit you pick and hunting spikes/cows this year. That will be the best possible scouting you can do this year for a LE hunt in 2024.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom