Scouting help 101-108

W

WMDDAD

Fairly new NV resident. Heading out in the next month to scout the area. Would appreciate any help or direction you can provide. At $4/gallon the more help I can get, maybe my kid can have peanut butter and jelly instead of just peanut butter.

Got the late tag, and been doin the research (maps, google earth, etc.) Found this forum, looks like a good bunch a guys; so I'll be hangin around now.

Not a road hunter, and I like to hike/walk; pack frame gets more use than the quad.

Also, if you got a good site for campin during the summer to base the scout out of I would appreciate it. Bringin the wife and kids (4 and 9 months).

Thanks

Good questions. I have the early hunt for muleys in the same units so I'm curious to hear what folks have to say. I'll let you know how my hunt goes and what I see when I'm out there during my hunt. I'm thinking of heading out there next month on a scouting trip as well, I'm not that familiar with that area and I've lived here my whole life...

I have the middle tag and have been researching the hunt quite a bit. If you use the search function on here you will find about a weeks worth of posts to go through with good info.

It looks like there are a lot of deer in the unit, but you have to hike in like most other hunts. The difference is hiking in these mountains is tough, so this becomes a hunt where your success is highly dependent on your physical ability's. This is assuming no significant weather pushes them out of the high country.....

Those of you that have hunted this unit before, what would you do different next time you hunt it?

Absolutely! I'd plan on getting into the high stuff and staying up there til I've filled my tag. Get up high!! I'll say it again....get up high. I think if I would have done this, I'd have been successful. I didn't so I wasn't. Very disappointing. Good luck.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

What would I do different next time I hunt it? Humm. Use my rangefinder before the shot. Don't cut my bow string in half when deep. lol Those are just a few things I can think of. It's a fun place to hunt. If you like work. 10 can make or break you. I think I hunt 10 it to get revenge from the year before (it never works).
4439639_1400225565846_1238491757_31059618_7747536_n.jpg

The price is always worth it in the end. Tag filled or not.
89475900_1125154449240_1238491757_30412181_3355248_n.jpg

One thing to consider as well, especially with the later hunts in 10, is that there is a lot more to these units that just the Rubys and East Humboldts. Those two mountain ranges just get the most play on the net.

hi, go to wells and go south and camp at angel lake, some nice trout there too,.

Got the early archery tag for the first time. I'm really excited to start scouting. Instead of asking where to go. I'd love to know where NOT to go. It looks like the area around Lamoile Canyon gets a lot of trafic, so I assume that would be an area to avoid?

Is there anywhere that is to far in? From the maps it looks like you could pack up a deer and walk down hill until you get to a road?

208JBB

Lamoille Canyon, Harrison pass, Secret pass and Angel lake all get hit very hard. Yes you could shoot a deer and walk to some road in the valley but I wouldn't. Who knows where you'd end up at. Just suck it up and hump it back out.

I was wondering about hiking out one of the canyons also, but it looks like you would more than likely have to cross private land to get to a road. The forest service map shows very little public access roads, however the Nevada delorme shows a decent number of fishing access areas.

What would be a good gear list for backpacking the Rubys in October? Would a tarp work for a shelter?

Thanks Elkohunter.
Any other areas to avoid? Butte mountain? Buck mountain? Seems like everybody focuses on the area along the rubys. I imagine there are some good bucks in the other little ranges, but in late august they might be to dry and all the deer are up high...?

I haven't been to the Rubys since I was 14(20 years ago), but I'm sure its like hunting any range that is above 9000ft. You can take a tarp for a shelter, but you should plan for 12 inchs of snow. That way when you get 24 inches it wont be too suprising.

I would highly recommend getting a good tent. In no way would I feel comfortable with only a tarp. The weather up there can be nuts. Some will remember a few years back it snowed four feet on the opener. My Dad and I tried to wait it out but ended up hiking out with snow over our belts. Two years later it was 70 on the opener. It can also be 15 below. Better safe than sorry.

I packed in on Wednesday before the early rifle and enjoyed 70 degree days UNTIL Sunday night. We got 22 inches of snow that night.

In my limited experience, the access points mentioned do get alot of pressure but once you get in a ways AND drop down off of the top, you will pretty much have it to yourself.

Where to start.
Thats good your not a road hunter. This is definately the place not for that. Which ever way you decide to go getting away from the people is the main priority. Since this means physically killing yourself few people do it without horses.

I agree, much success has come from getting up in the high country. But this terrain up there gets rough, too rough. I have seen absolute monsters walk off and out of my life and all i could do was wave because there was no way i could get up there and back, and live to talk about it.

Definately a good pack is a neccessity since most of the time camp gear and hunting gear are on your back.

- which leads me to my next point. Dont expect to have a base camp at a 'camp ground' then hunt on foot somewhere nearby and start seeing monster muleys. Big country means the deer dont have to hang around the easy accessible spots. Unfortunately this means not a hunt for the family, unless you dont mind packing in a kid too haha

Anyone have any suggestions for unit 104 or 108? Hunted 102 a couple of years ago and just too many guys out there. Don't have access to quads, so it's basically park and walk in. Any ideas?

Access to Gennette is blocked off by Gibson and Breschini. You can access it by going over the head of Cotton Wood canyon which is a public access point. Work high across the ridge between Gennette and Rattlesnake towards Hidden Lake. The bucks will be high on the ridge until later in the season then move lower towards Dry Creek. We've killed some great bucks in those canyons. If you want give me a call and I'll give you what I know about that country.
Wes
801-550-4973

Sounds like poor ted doesnt want the world to hear about the rubies. Who cares bud, its a big range. Simple backpacking advice wont kill anyones spot. This site is about information SHARING. who cares if 200 people see it in an open forum. i for one enjoy reading all the posts and would be sad if everyone shared this great info over PMs.

I really appreciate all the information. I'm still trying to find all the public access points. Its not like everybody on the forums is going to go to that one place.

Sounds like a 90% chance of seeing somebody around dollar lakes. If a guy were to hike in from one of the less known access points whats the likelihood of running into other bow hunters? Would you say that there is a 30% chance of running into another bow hunter in the lost lake basin, or maybe a 20% chance of seeing somebody at the head of rattlesnake, or maybe Tipton Peak?

You're right Brandon. I enjoying sharing info on all units that I have knowledge of. With the difficulty drawing tags these days we are forced to apply for areas that we may not be familiar with, we all can't scout every unit out there. When some one draws a tag for an area that they are not familiar with they hope to make the best of their opportunity. If I can share info with them to help make their hunt a success I'm more them happy to do it. Hopefully some one will share their knowledge with me if I'm lucky to draw a tag. I used to guide in the Ruby's for ten years and I never hesitated to share info. In fact I was lucky to draw a 10 tag and I'll be hunting the Ruby's this year. I'll be riding in at Overland and sleeping wherever it gets dark. The Ruby's are tuff to hunt if you don't have horses. If any one needs help they are more them welcome to give me a call or ask right here. Good luck to all of you.
Wes

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]Sorry man but I'm not giving you any info for that part of 10. ;-) I'm sure you'll understand

Exactly Wes!! Come one Ted! Play along. One thing i have noticed is that us Nevadans are so much more willing to give information than other states. Its like brain surgery in the Idaho forum to get any Elk info. i understand that like any state with most units being OTC many guys will gaurd their secrets with their lives. You do find the occasional good egg like i was able to. Just seems like nevada is always in the mood to help.

I have been chastised before on this site but I gotta agree with Ted. I think I'd give you my bank account number before telling you were I hunt. :) To each their own fellas.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]You may see a couple other hunters at Tipton but it's big country so you'll be able to have lots of places to hunt to yourself. It's an 8 mile hike up hill to Overland Lake and then it's a pretty good hump to get over the top to Tipton or King at the head of Rattlesnake. I've never seen another hunter at Lost Lake.
Wes

No one is telling people where they hunt, you can give someone a general area all you want but it doesnt mean squat unless you put in the work. Ill give general areas all day long. Its all about the hunt man. Plus I didnt draw a tag here this year so ill give you all my info. next year is a different story. hah

I don't mind sharing some info to others on here. Just not openly on these forums for everyone to see and search. Especially saying up this or that canyon/ridge turn left at the big tree etc, etc. I would to certain members on here thru PM. Feel free to PM me. :)

I say share the info. I have a tag in 10 and have no way to scout prior. The info on here is great for a person in my shoes. If this was an OTC state I would understand but since its not I don't see the problem.

I've been "talked" to a few times for giving out more info then what they would have liked for me to share. But This post has TOO much info on areas that I don't want every one to know about!

Your mostly wasting your time scouting individual deer and areas for the late hunt, Archery, muzzy, early then middle rifle all have effects, but mostly the rut and changing feed conditions will drive the deer lower and away from earlier haunts.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom