Scouting Snacks

Wyo_Roadhunter

Decided we better start using up some of the 2022 elk. Jalapeño cheese summer sausage mixed and stuffed into casings today and will smoke it tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow also all finished up. We are trying something a little different this time. In the past we've just chopped up fresh raw jalapeños and mixed some pickled tame ones with them. This time we roasted the fresh ones so they'd be soft and mixed with the tamed.

20240310_121626.jpg

20240310_131347.jpg

Did you mix any pork in with it or just straight elk? I’m curious because I’m getting ready to make some mule deer summer sausage and I’m a rookie.

Did you mix any pork in with it or just straight elk? I’m curious because I’m getting ready to make some mule deer summer sausage and I’m a rookie.
We mix it 80% elk 20% pork butt so it has some fat in it. Something with fat is a must imo with summer sausage. The time I tried it without it was nasty and crumbly.

I just made a batch of snack sticks. I used beef feet. Not as good tasting as Pork Fat but still tasty. My last batch will be pork shoulder, Jalapeños and a good high temp cheese.

I just made a batch of snack sticks. I used beef feet. Not as good tasting as Pork Fat but still tasty. My last batch will be pork shoulder, Jalapeños and a good high temp cheese.
I'll let you know how this high temp cheese is. I got it off bearded butcher so I'd assume it should be pretty good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom