SD Blackhills Whitetail hunt

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Hey guys! I have drawn a tag fo rthe blackhills and it seems that there are mostly whitetails. I will be hunting Nov5th-15th and was wondering what tactics I should use. I was thinking of a grunt tube and rattling. Do you think they will be rutting or still in pre rut? What do you guys think I should try? Thanks in advance.. ANDY

I live in MN and those dates are when the rut is hot and heavy. As far as rattling. I have always like that more in the pre rut. Find the does and a buck shouldn't be too far away. Bucks should be crusing all day. Good luck.

I live in WI and I agree. Find where deer are moving and set up and wait there. Something will move within range before too long. I would take a grunt tube and bleat call with and use them often.

Definetley the 10 hottest days of the season. Find the does and the bucks will come! More grunting than rattling. Rattling is a pre rut tactic. By 11/5 they should be full blown rut. Good Luck!

Am in Eastern Montana and on normal yrs 11/5-15 would be great but the last several years weather has played hugely into the rut activity. If it stays overly warm late it seems to mellow the activity down. If it stays warm watch for cold fronts coming through that will change temps 10-20 degrees over a few hours, may also bring presip, thus boosting activity. These front usually follow stong southerly winds that switch to the NW after the front passes. Good luck no matter what. Also parts of the Blk Hills are scattered timber and spot & stalk can work as well. We have large whttls that live in open thick CRP fields and ridgeline glassing into them work well.

Thanks for the response guys! I am going to get a grunt tube and try that out for sure. I have never taken a whitetail so I hope I can find a good buck. Not sure what the average buck in the blackhills would be though!

Find the does and the big bucks will come if they are rutting.
Get there and see where the deer are staging for their feeding area's, Pay alot of attention in those creekbottoms,sloughs and CRP fields they really love bedding down in those thick and out of way places. You hunting the North or South part of your unit.
Good Luck wish I was with ya. Missing my home.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-09 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p]Gator I think I may start in the southern part and see if I can turn up any mulies. Then head north toward lead and hunt from there. With the tag I can hunt pretty much all the blackhills so Ill see what I can do. What do you think?

i hunt the black hills the dates are actually a little early but should be fine. the rut seems to peak towards the end of the month for some reason. there will be a lot of hunters pushing them around so sitting and slow walking are your best options. i always pack rattling antlers and grunt tube i have very little sucess with them here. hills hunting is not like normal whitetail areas. there are some dang good bucks here but they are few and far between we do have good quantity but not quality if you get a chance at a 115" whity i would take imo. good luck man

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom