SD Deer Die-off?

C

CHWine

Heard from a buddy yesterday that he's not seeing much deer activity in western South Dakota. We hunted with him there last year and were seeing lots of both mule and whitetail deer. I know that had numerous big storms through much of SD last year. Anyone else seeing this or is my friend trying to get me not to come?

Have a buddy in Western North Dakota. He said they had about a 25% die off from the winter where he is at. He said some other areas of the state were hit even harder. Said there are still plenty of deer though. He was more concerned about the does aborting thier fawns as sometimes happens in a hard winter.

I think your buddy is yanking your chain. I have been out and about shed hunting quite a bit and did not notice any areas that had a lot of dead ones. I may not have found the areas they were in but I have seen a lot of deer and they all look pretty healthy.

Just blame it on mountain lions.

That's what all the dumba**es in Utah do, seems to work here.

You guys should try it, hey there are even a few big wildlife groups that will show you how to do it. ;-)

Dawg, you need to get out of the mountains and become a little more in the know. The MDF convention issue from 2009 already placed the blame on mountain lions (page 8). From the sounds of the article, you need to load up and hit the Black Hills of South Dakota. haha

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

We go out there every year to a budies house. the first time we went there was alot of bucks. but alot of deer were getting poached every night. every morning we would find another big buck laying out in the field with a bullet hole in it during bow season. while we were out there one of the farmers horses got shot with a shot gun during the night. pretty bad when stuff like that starts happening. last time we went we only saw a few bucks and the biggest being about 120.

Packout,

Not surprised! Ha ha!! My sprinkling system wasn't working this spring, having some kind of water pressure problem, so I called some local handy man.

This kid shows up in his lifted up Powerstroke with his Mossback and SFW sticker in the back window and wearing an MDF hat...

Looked at my sprinklers and told me, "Problem here is simple, you got too many mountain lions in this area. I'll make a few calls and try to get the quota raised and if we can get all these lions killed off here, then your sprinklers should start working again."

I told him sounded good, the Roofing company told me the same thing last week about my roof and heaven knows those deer eating suckers are to blame for the recession.

So kill 'em all, so all the stuff at my house will start working again and the deer in SD will stop dying off!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-09 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]now I did hear they do have to many Mt Kitty in the Black Hills, But I don't think it their fault because as many deer that get hit on the road there(huge problem) now that is a bigger problem.
I asked my nephew about lack of deer he said where? he hasn't heard nothng out that way either.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-09
>AT 06:21?PM (MST)

>
>now I did hear they do
>have to many Mt Kitty
>in the Black Hills, But
>I don't think it their
>fault because as many deer
>that get hit on the
>road there(huge problem) now that
>is a bigger problem.
>I asked my nephew about lack
>of deer he said where?
>he hasn't heard nothng out
>that way either.

No $hit gator.. Driving around at night where I was there are so many deer on the secondary roads that you have to really stay on your toes to keep from making one a hood ornement.. Never seen so many deer at night or during the day for that matter the past two years I hunted there..

I don't disagree with the numbers aspect. There are lots of deer, but mostly in residential areas, or houses that are being put in the woods. The worst part of it all is noone can hunt them. The ones we can hunt the quality is terrible and hard to find something big and descent to shoot. 9 months out of the year the deer are on the national forest lands, but come hunting season they are in town. Hard to control the population and manage it. The only way they are being managed is with vehicles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom