Season Choices

toolmann

Hey guys. As I've mentioned in posts, I'm new to Colorado. Can someone explain the rut times here in various parts of the state, and how they effect hunting during the 4 different seasons. I''m used to having one choice in time of year, instead of 4 short seasons. This year we should be hunting unit 105 starting Oct 26th. We have access to a small peice of private land there, so it was perfect for my little family. But, I want to start planning hunts over the next few years on public land. Any info helps.

Thanks in advance,

TM

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-13 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]Others can chime in with more accurate dates, but for general purposes elk rut is the last 2-3 weeks in Sept and the first week or so of October. Therefore, seasons on during the rut would include archery, muzzleloading and first rifle.

Mule deer rut starts in earnest by mid-November and lasts through the first couple of weeks in Dec. So, sometimes you could see early rutting by 3rd rifle season, and more so by 4th rifle season if the dates are late enough.

That said, rut is a pretty nebulous term and I use it loosely to mean that males are seeking out females to gather or breed.

The one factor that affects seeing males during the rut during daylight more than any other factor is weather. Hot and dry, not so much

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I like txhnter58's response.
One thing I would like to add is to remember that the later the season you hunt, the more pressured animals are. Not a huge effect on deer cause they get dumber the closer you get to the rut so it balances out.

Elk on the other hand, they are already post rut basically starting with rifle seasons. Yes they will potentially be migrating too. which can make them vulnerable.

Also, there are obviously fewer animals don't let that discourage you though, there are many bucks/bulls...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom