Selling coyote pelts

Gorilla

My buddy and I are planning to do some serious coyote hunting this fall. Are there any buyers in the Salt Lake Valley who will pay money for the pelt. I have herd of some people possibly selling them for $50. If true that would be $100 per dog when you include the DWR bounty.

>My buddy and I are planning
>to do some serious coyote
>hunting this fall. Are
>there any buyers in the
>Salt Lake Valley who will
>pay money for the pelt.
> I have herd of
>some people possibly selling them
>for $50. If true
>that would be $100 per
>dog when you include the
>DWR bounty.

Seriously doubt you will get $50 a yote. Last year my best was $48 and it was huge prime Male. Average was around $32. That is put up and there is lots of work involved in fleshing stretching etc. I would assume that if your not familiar with prices etc. You have not played the game very long. The keys to fur, is small to no holes. this means finding a load that will stay in the yote most of the time. A 12 guage shot gun it great with buck shot. Any hole bigger than a quarter is dropping the price a bunch.

Add that every UTARD out there thought they were the worlds greatest yote hunter to begin with and the new reward system has made it worse. Go for it, but don't expect to even cover your gas expenses. I hunt fur every fall, unless you can get into some cats you will not break even with fuel cost. I know most of the guys that hunt here in COlorado are already hunting Utah just to get the bounty. Good for me since there are less here hunting, bad for Utah hunters as the young ones have all pretty much been shot or educated.

The warm weather will start to really take fur quality down fast. They will start to pull the rumps out with this warm weather and the prices will fall. Go kill them and if you want to take the time to stretch, flesh and sew go for it. If not find someone who is doing furs and drop them off on the round. On the round your looking at $15-$25 each on the high end and more realistically like $5-$12.

I have not hunted yotes before so take this for what is worth, I don't think that you will get $100 per dog. When you pickup your bounty from the DWR you have to turn in the lower jaw, an ear, and I believe a foot. I would find it hard to believe anyone would pay much money for a pelt in this condition.

400bull

You dont have to turn in a foot. Here is a list of things needed when you turn them in and you must complete the online training course.

For compensation, you must present all of the following at a check-in site:

1) The lower jaw and either the full pelt or the scalp (with both ears attached) from a coyote

2) The completed Coyote Compensation Form

3) This signed Proof of Registration form

well, yes you could make $100 a dog easy, last years fur prices for dogs was like $50 to $60 averages, so if you got the $50 bounty first then sold the fur, you definately could make some serious money. I know both the Utah and Nevada fur sales averaged over 50 dollars a dog......

I disagree with one of the statements above that said all the coyotes are young/educated already. There aren't a million guys out there hunting coyotes. This new bounty system will put alot of new boots on the ground and once those new boots find out that its no a $$$$ making business then those new boots will come off and they will return to being coucch potatoes and what not.

Good luck on your journey however short or long lived it may be.

FUR PRICE SET TO SKY ROCKET IN 2013

The latest Hip Hop accessory, just in time for 2013 pimpen season.

It don't matter if you are headed out to the Obama inauguration, or just down to the corner to sling some crack.

Don't get caught with out your Coyote shoulder throw.

This is the must have accessory for the 2013 pimpen and crack slingen season.

boxhorn093.jpg

Fur prices aren't that high(yet) a Good South Dakota Coyote only brought $25 a couple of weeks ago.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

No nothing about bounty or what prices are.
Skinning a coyote is easy. Dont know where the fleshing and all is on them. The hardest thing about them is to get the tail. I got a block of wood and made a tail puller is what I call it. Worked great. Just my input. Go look at what the buyers want and will go easy then.

what you mean you dunno where the fleshing and all is on them. Once their skinned you need to flip them inside out and cut all the excess fat and loose skin and stuff off tem. Thats fleshing. Works really good to put them on a stretcher inside out and rub sawdust on them while your doing it.

Exactly... What most do not realize is that there are different cost and values added through out the process. There are some people who will buy a coyote on the round, meaning unskinned. they tend to be very conservative when they are paying as they do not know if the hide will slip, how big the actual hole is from shot etc. They will then skin the coyote.

A person can sell just the skins, but in all honesty most fur guys would rather have either the whole coyote or have it stretched and fleshed. the guys I sell to are round or stretched do not want the middle. Something about holes, too much work, no one does it right etc.

Still best case scenario comes down to on the round a low of $5 and a high on a very prime coyote in the $30. you always hear about this great price someone got, and unless you witnessed the cash exchange first hand most are about as true as a big fish story.

Go kill the damn things, sell them for what you can and just have fun doing it. If you really want to make money with fur start a line. Find a buyer, and drop em off. Be sure to either get them froze or skinned quickly otherwise they will slip and not be worth anything...

"Go kill the damn things, sell them for what you can and just have fun doing it."

+1

If your thinking of making money, you will probably be disappointed. If you enjoy hunting coyotes and want to recoup some expense, go for it.

I have been out a total of 2 times and have 3 dogs, so I wouldn't say they are all educated, nor are there a bazillion guys out chasing them. I do know a lot who used to hunt them that are more serious now, but I wouldn't say there are more guys out than before. I have seen prices upwards of $50-$60 for a good big pelt, but I haven't really been trying to sell them till lately.

I never got docked for my coyote pelts when shooting #4 buck at a reasonable distance away..learned to be a pretty good sewer after a .220 swift shot though...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom