Senate Bill 254

TerynItUp

I’m surprised nobody has brought up senate bill 254 yet. It is a bill that increases most license fees across the board, but not all. Personally, I am all for this bill for many reasons, hoping it passes.

It was passed in its first committee and is now scheduled for Senate Finance committee next.

Link for those of you interested:

The biggest changes here are with non-resident fees (not surprising). It seems odd that the proposed increases are not uniform. For example, resident deer increases from $31 to $50 (~61% increase) while resident bull increases from $80 to $90 (12.5% increase). I wonder how the determinations were made about how much to increase the various fees. Seems kind of random to me.

Also, I have NEVER understood why a javelina tag ($55) costs more than resident deer, antelope, cow elk and bear tags ($31, $50, $50 and $44, respectively)! The proposed increases remedy that to some degree, but not completely. Anybody know why that is?

At least these increases are not as extreme as in HB200 in Wyoming. They mostly bring prices closer to the market average.

I suppose the increases were justified for one reason or another. But the proposed NR increases gave me some real sticker shock.

Read all the bill of the license fee increase. Our great governor had them add in if a person or there family is on food stamps they get 25% off licenses. Since half or more of NM population is democrats on food stamps the G&F will probably lose money with the increase.

For the NR's it is a pretty good increase. 30% increase for quality deer, 54% increase for antelope, 74% increase for quality deer.

I'm gonna talk to my boss this morning about a 30 - 70% salary increase to compensate for all these states increasing their NR tag prices!!!!

For the NR's it is a pretty good increase. 30% increase for quality deer, 54% increase for antelope, 74% increase for quality deer.

I'm gonna talk to my boss this morning about a 30 - 70% salary increase to compensate for all these states increasing their NR tag prices!!!!
Or you could just move to a state you like to hunt, Wyoming would welcome a good, hard working hunter.

How's your weather today?

Or you could just move to a state you like to hunt, Wyoming would welcome a good, hard working hunter.

How's your weather today?
I like to hunt MANY states (or at least want to but haven't been able to draw tags in some - lol). Life is too short to limit hunting to just one state. No mater what state each of us lives in,. we are always a NR in 49 other states!! Our family hunts/applies in SD, MT, ID, CO, UT, AZ, NM, WY and NV - we love the mountains!
I have no problem paying high prices for NR tags - the wildlife belongs to each state and its residents. The days of relatively inexpensive tags for NR's is gone - it's just the new norm. Unfortunately, the costs for NR tags are going up exponentially in every state and not just based on inflation/cost of living. I wasn't complaining - just stating a fact.

Our weather? Getting a little snow and wind today and expected to be below zero again tonight. Gonna have to put on the winter shorts! That's ok though - it just helps make more ice. Hope to be pulling some 35"+ lake trout up through a hole this weekend with my sons?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom