Senate Bill SB45 Crossbow?

Huh, the only thing constant is change!!!

I don't use a x-bow but someday I might be forced to because of age, maybe.

I'm not totally in favor of the potential change but it's not something I'll fight about.

There's an advantage if you sit on stand because you can eliminate the movement of the draw-cycle but if your're out sneaking around they are too bulky, heavy and cumbersome....according to a couple friends who use them in other States.

There will be very little impact on the resource whether approved for use in Utah or not.

My rambling 2 cents,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-15 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-15 AT 10:48?AM (MST)

It passed favorably from the committee, 4 to 3, had it's 1st reading and is now on the Senate 2nd Reading Calendar, but I can't find the date. No vote yet.

FWIW, my ONLY concern is that, if passed, it will likely draw some rifle hunters to the longer archery hunt without an increase in permits. I would be ok with it if they were to pull 5% of the permits out of the rifle pool and put them into the archery pool.

>FWIW, my ONLY concern is that,
>if passed, it will likely
>draw some rifle hunters to
>the longer archery hunt without
>an increase in permits. I
>would be ok with it
>if they were to pull
>5% of the permits out
>of the rifle pool and
>put them into the archery
>pool.

Very valid point IMHO.
Zeke

I am against it. With limited archery tags (especially Limited Entry deer and elk), the last thing we need is the higher point guys who are getting too old to bow hunt jumping back into archery now that they can use a crossbow and causing point-creep to worsen faster than it is. Right now they are forced to stay in Any Weapon where there are more tags.

And just so everybody knows, if you draw an archery tag and can't pull a bow due to bad shoulders or something similar, a doctor's note will get you to be able to use a crossbow anyway.

This law will not open crossbows for aging hunters anymore than a doctors note will, it just allow hunters that don't want to take the time to shoot a bow to move into the archery pool and clog it up even more.

This is a bad bill, IMO.

Grizzly

This is stupid and I'm against it.

This will only screw up the LE draw even more with people jumping from rifle into archery in order to use a x-bow and draw a tag sooner.

A crossbow loses kinetic energy pretty quickly not to mention wind drift is more too. I would say we already have successful archers that shoot way further than a person with a new crossbow will be able to shoot. As Zeke says, I'd hate to pack that up the mountain...they are better suited to stand hunting. A few might take advantage, but the masses aren't going to run out and get crossbows.

>A crossbow loses kinetic energy pretty
>quickly not to mention wind
>drift is more too.
>I would say we already
>have successful archers that shoot
>way further than a person
>with a new crossbow will
>be able to shoot.
>As Zeke says, I'd hate
>to pack that up the
>mountain...they are better suited to
>stand hunting. A few
>might take advantage, but the
>masses aren't going to run
>out and get crossbows.

My objection isn't due to lethality, weight, or effectiveness, it's due to increased hunter pressure causing decreased odds for those of us that already handicap ourselves by hunting with a bow.

My mom's husband meant to apply for a Book Cliffs rifle tag a few years ago but accidentally drew an archery tag. Due to surgery he can't shoot a bow and got a DWR letter to use a crossbow. He killed a 400" bull. That is one less tag and one less bull that an archery hunter didn't get to hunt and only served to take a bonus tag away from a hunter that actually wanted it, thus raising the point creep.

Now a few medical-exemption hunters aren't going to make a big difference, but it would only take a few dozen a year across all species to dramatically worsen the odds for all of us already fighting for only 20% of the tags.

I'm against this bill and did something about it. I emailed my congressmen today.

Grizzly

I see your point Grizzly, glad to see you did something about it...most don't take the time to express their opinion to those that can make changes.

I can see both sides of the argument and you all have valid points even though I'm not as convinced, as some of you, of the amount of impact it will have on draw odds.

This is, however, like any other change, some will gain a small advantage and some will lose the advantage by the same degree.

There are pros and cons and it's either or depending your perceived impact.

I'm NOT one who embraces change in wildlife management regulations so I'm inclined to lean toward the status quo.

Zeke

I have hunted extensively with both. I had an arrow go through my arm on the bow hunt severing my nerves so I have a crossbow permit. In most cases I find that the crossbow is a disadvantage and I prefer to use a regular bow. The only time I find a crossbow advantageous is if you are sitting in a blind.

Its not about the "advantage" the x-bow hunter may or may not have, it screws up the points. Do you think most people who are getting old and want to draw a LE tag will look into the bow vs x-bow, or will they see that they have a better chance for a LE tag and screw everything up for bow hunters?

I think they will screw it up. Just my 2 cents.

I am apposes to the X-bow but do however think the disabled should be allowed to use them. I Like the law the way it is.

If the bill passes it does not automatically allow hunting with a cross bow. There are laws in this state that prohibit things from being changed. This will only allow the wildlife board to make changes in the future if needs be. To allow the use it must go through the racs and board.

>If the bill passes it does
>not automatically allow hunting with
>a cross bow. There
>are laws in this state
>that prohibit things from being
>changed. This will only
>allow the wildlife board to
>make changes in the future
>if needs be. To
>allow the use it must
>go through the racs and
>board.

I guess you have more faith in the RACs and Wildlife Board listening to the average hunter than I do. I'd just as soon not even give them the option, to cut it off before it gains roots.

Grizzly

Griz, there are other reasons laws need to be changed. Are you aware the ferral pig hunting in utah is agianst the law? That is what the bill on fellal pigs going on right now is about. When they changed the law that said you could put any scope on a muzzle loader as long as it is used on the any weapon hunt they needed to change the law to allow it. In order to allow cross bows to be used on the any weapons deer hunt the law must be changed to allow it. All that is going on is to get some of the laws changed so if the time comes they will have everything in place. Just trying to clean the trash out of the laws.

I understand the legislative oversight process prior to RAC and Board approval and support the check-and-balance. But they are required to work in tandem for a reason. Crossbows have absolutely nothing to do with the power of a scope on a muzzleloader during an Any Weapon season and nothing to do with feral pigs.

If I'm against crossbows during archery season, why support it going through the Legislature and then try and stop it at the RAC meetings. Just stop it here and keep it out of RAC hands. No reason to concede the first half of a game... try and win them both, it's safer that way.

Grizzly

Griz. I understand what you are saying. I am sure it is to tighten up loose ends. Anyway that is what i understand. There are hunters that do want to hunt with a cross bow and that may be the topic some day. You have your desires and they have theres. The division is in a possession that they try to please what the majority want which i do not totally agree with. As far as the archery hunt goed i do not hunt archery so i don't follow it that close. I do attend lots of meetings in the dnr office and can not see the division or the wildlife board wanting x bows on the archery hunt.

let it pass, an argument that it would clog up or raise the points needed IMHO is not valid. it just opens up a hunt to more members of our hunting community that otherwise would be sitting on points. seems kinda an elitist attitude to me

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom