Sendero

throwfar

I have seen previous threads about the sendero but wanted some current information. I am looking at a sendero in 300RUM variety and am interested to hear some input. I currently have a 300 win mag in a 700bdl as my hunting set up and am looking for something a bit heavier and more accurate. I do not mind packing around the extra weight.

I would work on what you have rather than buy new. Maybe get a new stock with an aluminum bed if you don't already have one. Have it glass bedded, swap the trigger, etc. You could go for the gusto and swap the barrel too.

Unless you just want a new gun, which is understandable, RRS is spot on.

>I would work on what you
>have rather than buy new.
>Maybe get a new stock
>with an aluminum bed if
>you don't already have one.
>Have it glass bedded, swap
>the trigger, etc. You could
>go for the gusto and
>swap the barrel too.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-16 AT 04:48PM (MST)[p]I too own a 700 BDL in 300 win mag and a 700 Sendero in 300 win mag. Its like I am reading a post I wrote a few years back LOL.

Ive had the stock bedded, and a match crown cut, and I put a Leupold 4.5X14 Mark 4 with M1 turrets and a mil dot reticle. I can tell you that once you put all that money into custom work and optics your rifle will only shoot as good as the ammo you use. With Factory hunting ammo I was getting about a 1 MOA group which is not better than you probably get from your BDL. So then I did some hand loads to improve my accuracy. Belted magnums are very hard to hand load for accuracy! Finally I found ammo that is match grade accurate and good for hunting. The HSM 185gr with a Berger VLD is a great hunting bullet and my rifle shot a .5 MOA group with it. I got a picture somewhere that shows a 2.5" group at 500 yards, which is why I used that rifle on my Ibex hunt. A buddy of mine has also used that rifle with that ammo to take an ibex and a Barbary sheep. That ammo runs at about $57.00 a box plus shipping. The only problem with that ammo is that it is always in short supply so you are constantly looking for it and buying it all up while you can.

I recently picked up a rem700LR which is a couple hundred less than the sendero. Comes with the heavy barrel and the bell and Carlson m-40 stock. Something you may want to look into. Mine is a 7mm rem mag, and I love that thing.

I agree totally with 82Reddevil on the ammo. Feed that rifle a different diet than you have and you might be happy with the results. I don't reload so I tried 3 or 4 different types of 180 grain off the shelf ammo for my 300WSM and had varying degrees of success (1.5 MOA at best), but still was not all that happy with the groups I was getting. Looking up barrel spin charts I was convinced that I needed a heavier bullet to get good results. Well last year I was headed out for my barbary hunt and picked up the last two boxes of ammo that Sportsman Warehouse had in 300 WSM just in case I needed more for whatever reason. All they had was 150 grain Federal ballistic tips. I figured they would shoot worse than the 180 grain I normally use. When I tested them I was really surprised. My rifle never shot better. I was down in the .75 MOA range with that load. Dang good for a factory bullet.

Please note that I have swapped the stock and trigger,glass bedded the action, and did the "Final Finish' fire lap deal. It all has helped quite a bit. I am really happy with the rifle now.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom