Senior LE Unit?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I think it's time to show a little respect and appriciation for our senior hunters.:) Every State should set aside some special draw areas that only hunters who are 60 or older can apply. Nice easy ground with lots of big bucks or bulls.

What do you think?

Did I mention I'll turn 61 in October, and don't have a tag this year?:)

Eel

I agree, it wouldn't hurt my feelings either. I think seniors should be given more opportunity and cheaper licenses.

There's a ton of emphasis on youth.

Well, I know a lot of youth aren't introduced to the outdoors because grandpa said the $%#$ with it and has moved on to other things.

I'm sure I will catch a lot of heat for this. While I am for special draw youth hunts, I am against special draws for seniors. We need special draws for youths to make sure they get a chance to hunt during that magic window that peeks their interest in hunting for a lifetime. Otherwise, everyone, including seniors, should get in line and wait it out for a tag like the rest of us. I would, however, be for extending the season for seniors once they draw that coveted tag, similiar to what is done in Utah for handicapped hunters. If seniors played their cards right and got in on the beginning of the Western point systems, they should get to hunt the best units in the West anyways--unlike younger hunters that weren't old enough to put in the draws on the first year of points.

Idaho has cheeper licenses/tags for seniors/disabled....and starting this year they are having a senior/disabled hunt doe only over in i think unit 31...also if the youth only hunts go and there is leftovers, seniors/disabled can buy them first come first served...i agree with a senior le hunt...i also think that military disabled should have there own hunt, similar to what the devildog hunt in NM is about...While i am still able to walk and hunt now, i wont always be able to...and some my best years of hunting was served in the military hunting a different target.. People dont understand they see me and see nothing wrong but mines all mental. I think that is the biggest disability there is... and there is also thousands just like me... I know my dad has been disabled since i can remember had polio when he was a kid and he cant get around much now, i would love to see a OIL tag for a easy hunt with a monster buck or bull tag...

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I was not being too serious with this post. I'm actually happy to draw in regular LE units. I'm equally happy to leave the real rugged parts of units to the young hunters. I'm also smart enough to not apply in units I know I can't handle physically.

A senior unit would be kind of cool though.:) Not only for me but other older hunters also.

With no out of state tag this year, I still get to hunt blacktails here in Kali. That's still a pretty special time for me.

Eel

I say set aside 10% of the tags for seniors. I would absolutely support this. Plus each unit should have one tag set aside for Vet's only.

It would especially be great if a senior drew and then the assisted living bus could take all in the facility to watch and/or help. They could all use the fresh air.

Do you think the le senior units should be compliant with Americans Disability Act? Concrete sidewalks through the woods, handicap parking?

While we are making special drawings for seniors, vets, women and one legged midgets, I think we should make a special drawing for hillbillies too. LOL

GAWD I FEEL OLD ALREADY!!!

CAN YOU PLANT SOME 30"+ BUCKS ON THE "SENIOR CITIZEN LE UNIT"???

ONE QUESTION THOUGH GUYS!!!

WITH ALL THE CONSECUTIVE & OVERLAPPED HUNTS,JUST WONDERING WHERE WE'D POSSIBLY HAVE A TIME/SPACE FOR ONE MORE HUNT IN TARDVILLE???

NOT BEING SMART,JUST WONDERING???

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

>While we are making special drawings
>for seniors, vets, women and
>one legged midgets, I think
>we should make a special
>drawing for hillbillies too. LOL

Let's be sure that all of these tags come out of the non-resident quota, also.
>

I feel the frustration of not drawing tags in my home state also and would love a "senior" tag. But there is just not enough tags to go around. We can't give every special interest group a special tag draw. Another fact is, some people are just lucky at drawing tags and some are not. Not fair but life is not fair. This pattern of being lucky at draws seems to stay with a person throughout life. Just the way it is.
Young parents: enjoy the tags your kids draw. Soon your kids will grow out of the youth hunts and be in the same hard to draw pool as the rest of us. And some day you will be an older parent with older kids and grand kids you would love to go hunting with. Tags are just to hard to draw anymore and you can't count on them. Fill in the family hunts with bird hunting or predators and hope for great tag every few years :)

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Bobcat, you and nvmuley have a point. There is too much pressure on most units to add another hunt. You got early archery, late archery, smokepole, and rifle, etc.

I was just trying to figure out a way to relieve Utah of all the extra 30-36" bucks that they can't get rid of.:)

I see bobcats point...jeez did i just say that, but is it any different then a gov tag, or the hunt expos tags...or the superhunt in idaho...i know for a fact if there was money backing it...there would be room for one more tag... Does anyone see a problem loosing a tag for someone that put there butt on the line to protect our rights to hunt...I am one of them and i would give up my hunt to a vietnam veteran...i guess no one really knows what veterans went through but veterans...and by the way I think that if u seen some combat you should move the front of the list.. Maybe i see things differently then others i dunno... I think that the senior hunt in idaho is a step in the right direction, and leftover youth hunts is also a right step... way to go eel...see what u started

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

I think it's absolutely criminal to deny the older generation an elk tag when most of them have been applying since before the point banking began. If you reach the age of 65 and you still have the ability and the desire to hunt you should have the opportunity.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-09 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]We give them retirement, health care, and discounts at Sizzler, why not give them some free tags to boot. I mean, heck, they only got to hunt during the glory days and they all threw away 35" 200 class bucks because they "can't eat antlers". And they were all able to buy lifetime licenses in many states or were elidgable to apply for hunts since the start of every state's point system, so they either have already drawn or didn't care enough to put in. (The previous was laced with sarcasm and a touch of reality)

I don't care much for entitlement programs, but Eel, go ahead and apply for the senior portion of the Utah management deer tags. You can go down and wack a 30" 3 point on Utah's famed Pauns. I know it was a great experience to go with my dad on his last big game hunt, which he waited his turn for. He won't get anymore tags, says it is time to let the next generations enjoy the experience.

eel,

I know this was not a serious thread, but I absolutely think vets should get a draw of their own. Many of them were not around to get points each year and dont live in a home state for years on end. Seriously, the vets should get some "entitlement."

ktc....Amen!

A boyhood friend of mine went to Viet Nam right out of high school. Before that we were avid hunting buddies. As soon as he got home I invited him to go on a squirrel hunt. He politely told me he would never pick up a gun again. He moved back east somewhere and I haven't seen him since.

The truth is, if I never kill another big game animal, I have no complaints! I'm just thankful I live in the greatest Nation on earth!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-09 AT 00:23AM (MST)[p]I know Eel wasn't serious with this post but is suprises me at some of the responses. "Entitlement," don't get me started. While Packout was trying to be sarcastic, I agree with a lot of what he said. Todays seniors lived through some of the best hunting years ever. I met a senior in Vernal about 6 years ago that showed me numerous black and white pictures of him holding 190 inch and a few 200 inch bucks in a general unit that you would be lucky to kill a forkie in today. As he flipped through the photos he would wink his eye at me on about every other picture and he would say "my wife killed that one" and laugh.

If I was a senior today I wouldn't ask for a special drawing becaue I would be maxed out on points in every state or already tagged out on trophy units in every Western state. I was too young to get in on the ground floor.

There sure are some ungrateful, selfish hunters on here. A lot of the "seniors" were servicemen or earned a living the hard way. Yah they had a lot more game to hunt back then but they didn't break any laws ("my wife shot that one" wink wink). The reason they left 190" racks on the mountain is because they were meat hunters that didn't give a rats a$$ about the score. They shot mature bucks for table fair and took their fair share of does as well. Statements like a few above prove just what a selfish society we've become. It's really easy to say what YOU would do if you were a "senior" but you have no idea what you would do. Being healthy enough to hunt should speak for itself. Most would relish the experience and I bet most would shoot the first respectable animal that provided the opportunity. Give em a brake and show a little respect.

www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-09 AT 04:28AM (MST)[p]Wholelottabull, I guess we have a difference of opinion. No harm, no foul. I have to love this site. Only on MM would someone call you selfish and disrespectful because you want everyone to play by the same rules. Plain and simple, there aren't enough tags to go around for all the special interests.

I also like how it is somewhat noble for the old timers to party hunt way back when because it was supposedly "for the meat" and there was plenty of game to go around. Funny how the old timer remembered to take a photo of the trophy antlers, not the tenderloin. We all know they didn't have grocery stores or beef way back then and party hunting for trophy bucks was the only way you could feed the family (sarcasm). He didn't show me one photo of a doe. I know the law only applies to the Vernon poachers, not grandpa. I am not the ethics police by any means but I get sick of the double standards.

Guess what? There isn't plenty of game to go around anymore so get in line with the rest of us (unless you are a youth). I should be so lucky if I only took one buck in my lifetime as nice as the ones I saw in that old timers photos. If you are so adamant about this topic, give your OIL tag to that old timer that had a truck load of B&C bucks that his wife shot *wink, wink*. Just my opinion.

Awholelottabull- Did you miss the parenthesis in my post? I know Eel was kidding, in kind a dreaming hope, and some of us are just giving it back to him. I'd hope you didn't take my post too seriously.

I will now side with Eel on this: Give every hunter over the age of 61 one permit in Utah, for $10. (Nonresidents included just for Eel and Kilo- You are over 61 Kilo, right?) The permit will be good for whatever species the "Senior" desires, but only one animal. Of course, as Hillbilly stated, he can also buy a permit for his wife and fill hers just like in the Good-Ole-Days. With the permit will come a $5 off coupon good only for Senior Discounted meals at Sizzler. (Sarcasm intended, humor optional)

Eel- You are cruel in starting this subject. Look at the problems you have created. hahaha

I still like the midget idea! Both of my grandpas quit shooting anything under 30 wide and after a while quit hunting cause they were sick of wasting money on tags. Neither one will even go for a ride to look for deer now. I never have been hunting with either one, wish I could talk them into it. Kinda sad but they had their time and they are happy with it.

I was born and raised right here in Kali, and actually lived a fairly happy and contented life hunting blacktails in my own back yard. I knew about hunting mule deer out of state, but didn't know anyone personally who did it. It was financially out of the question anyway. I never even had a vehicle I could trust to make a trip like that.

Then one day I happened to pick up a Trophy Hunter Magazine at the supermarket. I was floored at the size of the bucks! I was hooked! So I blame Founder and Rusty Hall for making me degrade myself by asking for a special draw!:)

Eel

Hey Rackmaster,

On behalf of the token Female Hunters... do your own dang cooking. :*

I will be out hunting until the day I die.. I do like the extra time granted for the Disabled hunters.. now I'm trying to figure how to extend the Sage Grouse Hunt if I draw a tag :9

Destiny

Yep. On this subject we do. I am not excluding myself when I say WE have become a self righteous and ungratefull society. I will always lobby for the "old timers" to get a tag and if I could, I would gladly give my chance up for one of those guys. I think they deserve the utmost respect. That being said, I am sure that there were many "old timers" that took advantage of the system but not the ones I know. I can promise you one thing, if I am hunting with my daughters (or somebody elses kid for that matter) and an "old timer" I'm letting them shoot first.

Packout - I was sure hoping there was a little sarcasm in your post. I respect and enjoy both of you guys so there is no harm just a difference of oppinion on some things.

www.awholelottabull.com

I do well and often...thank you very much!(tonight was BBQ tri-tip, cold tossed pasta salad with grilled oysters(1/2 shell) and habanero/plum and peach chutney/relish...just finished up the fish taco!)
Ms D did I ever tell you what the 3 greatest things a woman can do?......are!
and who you get them home
if there drunk?

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I agree with a whole lotta on this, while alot of old timers took advantage and party hunted, i can only hear storys of the animals my dad and people he hunted with..most only went hunting after work was done, if they had time...and my dad taught me you take any animal legal doe buck...i have shot by far more does then i have bucks... Most old timers will shoot a doe over a buck anyways they dont have antler lust... I still stand by what i said if there is enough tags for sportsmans expos, gov tags, super hunts it could handle one more tag...if money was involved u know there would be a tag found somewhere...EEL you should get a tag for sticking it out and living in cali with all the liberal anti hunting weirdos there... I vote EEL for prez... ha ha

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom