Sent elimination products.

silverlake176

What do all of you think about the various sent elimination products? Seems that the three big sent elimination products are hunter specialties, wild research center, and dead down wind products. What product do you think is the best out on the market or are they all about the same? For me personally I've used the wild research center sent killer for the three years that I've bow hunted. I'm just curious what you think the best product out there is for eliminating scent. Me personally I think the products work to a certain extent but I think it's mostly a marketing tool.

Good question. I've wondered the same thing. There was an article last year from someone who's a scientist on scent lock clothing and how it was a bunch of "bs" and just a marketing tool.

I'm curious about the scent eliminator stuff. The stuff I use is scent shield. Every year I wash all my clothing in it and spray down all my gear every morning while hiking.

Cover scent > scent elimination IMO. I had elk within 4ft of me last year in a blind on a waterhole with zero "scent elimination". Just used a bunch of "cow in heat" and "sage" cover scents sprayed liberally and refreshed often around me. Shot my first archery elk that evening.

-DallanC

I use Scent Lok clothing, with the Scent Blocker wash and other accessories. I also use the Scent Blocker White Lightening spray. I think this helps, but that doesn't necesarily mean I won't go hunt with out it. The key is the wind, but it still helps if you can control you odor somewhat as well. You can't always predict the wind, sometimes it's calm and swirling somewhat, or sometimes it will change on you. I think if you have it, use it. I'm slowly investing in the scent blocker/shield clothing. I have one main set of the Scent Lok clothing and use it primarily when hunting whitetails. This way, I change in and out of the clothes often and only wear while hunting, and can activate often. I also believe the Scent Lok hat is a must. They say the most scent comes from your head.

With all that said, I've got an archery elk hunt planned this fall. I will take my scent controlled clothing, but will also have numerous other clothing items that I will be wearing. My dad is going and has no scent controlled clothing. I plan on making sure the clothing is fresh as possible from sweat and campfire smoke each day, and coating down with the sprays. Other than that, I'm playing the wind.

Hope this helps.

Cory

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]I all ways carry a small spray bottle mixed with baking soda,hydrogen peroxide and water. Spray it all over me every now and then while hunting. Then use any deer or elk poop I find and rub it all over my cloths and cap. Try to hunt down wind of my game too.

My vote goes out for cover scents as well. The carbon suits ARE a huge marketing ploy as it is impossible to "reactivate" the suit short of burning it. Scent lock suits are functionally the same as the militarys chemical suits and they come sealed. Once the package is opened the suit is good for 30 days and then it is disposed of.
ismith

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

I Concur! w/ awholelottabull but I do use liberal amounts of Bull Pee. Problem with using Elk scent is you smell Elk all the time and you can't tell if you smell real Elk or if it's your cover scent your smellin.

I just mixed up my first batch of homebrew scent killer with the Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc and decided to try it out on a stinky hat my cousin was wearing. We put some on it, not that liberally though, and it cut the scent way down. It did not eliminate it totally, but you really had to pay attention to detect the sweat smell after the application. It was fun to make my own and it is a lot cheaper in the long run than buying the commercial stuff. Use a combo of both scent cove and scent elimination and reap the benefits of each. Why chose just one???

Bigpaacow: Do you mind sharing the recipe as far as how much of each ingredient, and what ingidients you put into making the solution? I had no clue that the stuff was mde out of hnydrogen peroxide, and baking soda.

If you do any actual research, you'll find that activated carbon does absorb odor, including human odors (body odor produced from bacteria, primarily growing in sweaty, moist areas, as well as smoke, vapor, soap odors, etc.). It will absorb to the point where it becomes saturated, just like a sponge or a wad of paper towels. Once it's full, it is full. The process of "activating" carbon is a scientific/industrial process. It is NOT accomplished by taking saturated activated carbon and tumbling it in a clothes dryer. About the only thing that tumbling it in a dryer may positively accomplish is to physically break larger granules which may (or may not) expose unsaturated pores (most likely, however, those newly exposed pores will almost immediately become saturated with clothes dryer odor molecules). Without doubt, there is no way to "re-activate" it at home, unless you invest in a few hundred thousand $ worth of equipment. If you'd like backup proof of this, just drive to your local auto-body supply store and ask to see a pair of carbon respirator filters. Read the package. 8 hours is the typical duration of them. You open the plastic sealed baggie and you've got 8 hours. That INCLUDES not even using them in a harsh enviornment. NOWHERE will it state on that package that you can paint a car with them today and next week tumble them in your dryer and reuse them!
On the flipside, activated carbon spray (which is nothing more than granulated activated carbon suspended in near-pure water which will evaporate within a short amount of time leaving behind "ready to absorb" granules) DOES work. If you want proof, get your favorite work hat, drpo a pair of today's sweaty socks in it, and spray the crap out of it with some carbon spray, let it stand in the sun for a few minutes till the wetness goes away - you won't smell a thing as long as you don't disturb it.
I own carbon - activated clothes. Never re-activate them. I do keep them because I know those are the clothes that I spray the crap out of each morning and once during the day. That "brand label" reminds me not to toss them in the hamper next to my wifes white dress - those labels are NOT a HOAX or BS - they're there to save me from getting killed by my wife from blackening her clothes!

Ed

I put all my hunting clothes in a smoke house where my buddie was smoking his brain tanned buckskins overnight. The smoke permeated the clothing. With all the fires last fall and smoke still in the air, I didn't think it would hurt.

I was within 15-20 feet of a spike and 6 cows for 20 minutes undetected and with wind swirling around. I admit I was in a tree stand so I don't know if that made all the differance but I thought they should have smelled me within that much time.

I am going to try it more this fall and see what happens. I noticed the more I began to get hot and sweat the stronger the smoke smell I was putting off.

^BIGBONE^

The only thing I have ever used is Hunter Specialities Under Arm Deordorant. When I use that stuff, I do not sweat under the arms like normal. Now wheather the game can smell me I don't know but at least I am dry under the arms.

Brian

Here is another good secret for you fellas!!! Go to any hunting location and pick off the pine needles, sage or whatever is primarily there. Put these pine needles, for example, in an old pot. Bring to a boil and then after a good 5-8 minutes. Let it cool down. When the water is cool enough strain the needles from the water and rub this on your skin. I guarantee this will bring you closer than you want to be to anything out there. Its an old timer deal that was used back in the day. Hence all the cover scents that are out there! Good luck......Blackknight

I have owned and worn scent elimination clothing and sprays for 8-10 years now and I do think they help but the wind and a good native and local (pine, cedar, sage, earth, etc.) cover scent is always the best scent protection.

A quick example that has happened to me a few times: I put on scent clothes and sprayed down then walked to the stand. An hour later my dog comes across the field with his nose on the ground following my (eliminated) scent trail right to my stand.

Hope this helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom