Setting Up Bear Bait Site

30Hart

Very Active Member
I've baited for bears in Alaska, but Utah has different regs for baiting bears. How do you recommend setting up your bait and keeping it dry. Logs, a pit, stones, dugout bank. I've just always used a plastic feed drum with a cut out hole in the side, but that's not an option in Utah...no plastic, metal, glass, paper, cardboard can be used...how did you do it? Thanks!

It is a shot in the dark, but if you can find a sturdy trunk that the center is rotted out. That might be an option. Just brainstorming. Closest thing I could think of to a barrel.

Most guys I have seen build them by stacking logs (log cabin-style) in a 90 degree angle. They put the bait in the back of the "V" to force the bears in from the right angle and keep the bait in one place.

Grizzly

The best bear bait job I remember was when a guy I know was driving down main street with a 50 gal drum filled with dead carp. Another guy ran the light and the bear hunter had to swerve to miss. The barrel tipped over and spilled the smelly mess all over main street. I'll never forget driving by and seeing him trying to shovel the mess back into his truck. PU big time. Didn't attract too many bears.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom