setting up wall tent in snow?

oldmossback

Ok guys, call me ignorant but we are new to the wall tent hunting. We will be going 3rd season this year and it will be our 1st year in a wall tent. If there is snow on the ground, do you shovel away the snow down to dirt, then set up the tent or ?
Also are there any tips or tricks to a wall tent to make a cold 3rd season hunt more enjoyable with 2 teenage boys?

Thank you

I'd really like to hear folks chime in on this question.

In my experience, the snow always comes after set up or has always come after. It is much easier to have a tarp on the top so you can just shake the tarp to remove the excess snow as it falls. Tarps can be fashioned to provide a little cover extended over sides of tent also, so you can keep snow a few feet of the base of the tent. Provides a shaded area for colors and gear boxes. You don't want those covered in snow, so the tarp is good.

What has happened to me is melted snow or actually rain has ran under the tent. Not good and sometimes very bad. When sun comes out, vent tent completely.

So, in my experience the place you put the tent is very important if that snow ends up melting. Or if rain comes in a large way.

I would do what I can to move all the snow and then place the tent.

Shovel snow away. Set up tent and place tarp down on sleeping area to place bags, equipment and cloths under cots. Cots and wood stove a must. Wood stove will heat you right out if you wish or don't control the damper. It will dry the inside ground. Cots keep you off ground and allow heat under you. Pads really help as well. Also as stated above, place tarp over top with a foot or two of over hang to get weather away from tent side does help. Love the wall tents. Have used them for over twenty Yeats and own three of them at this time. Very comfy and no worry of tracking mud in trailers. Enjoy and good luck.

+3 on tarp! We shovel snow away but for in the tent we have some cheap outdoor carpet we lay down so we walk around bare foot or with socks on once tent is set up.
MUST DRY YOUR TENT OUT once you get home though after season, DO NOT store it wet or even slightly damp!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

>Shovel snow away. Set up tent
>and place tarp down on
>sleeping area to place bags,
>equipment and cloths under cots.
>Cots and wood stove a
>must. Wood stove will heat
>you right out if you
>wish or don't control the
>damper. It will dry the
>inside ground. Cots keep you
>off ground and allow heat
>under you. Pads really help
>as well. Also as stated
>above, place tarp over top
>with a foot or two
>of over hang to get
>weather away from tent side
>does help. Love the wall
>tents. Have used them for
>over twenty Yeats and own
>three of them at this
>time. Very comfy and no
>worry of tracking mud in
>trailers. Enjoy and good luck.
>

+1!! cots are a must. also using a mr.heater big buddy heater works great and will cook you out if you dont put it on low. when hooked to a 5 gallon propane tank it will last almost a week. using the small 1 gallon tanks run out in the middle of the night

Plus one MTNMAN on the outdoor carpet. I also use the carpet on top of our tarps and it does make it nice. A broom once ever couple days and it stays plenty clean.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-14 AT 09:23AM (MST)[p]Here is our plan, Shovel snow from where we will set tent, We have a huge tarp to use as a floor, and another to put over the tent to use as a fly. We have a wood stove and propane heaters for back up only. We have cots, tables, cook stove, generator for lights, etc. Think we will be good?

Put a berm of dirt around the bottom of tent to keep water out.
Sounds like you have a good warm setup.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Shovel snow prior to put tent up.

Put down a tarp prior to putting the tent up. (Do NOT extend tarp out past the tent. rain water and snow melt will follow the tarp under the tent.)

If you have snow melt, clear the snow so it wont go down hill and go under your tent.

Use a buddy heater on a piece of plywood, with a hose that allows the propane tank to be outside of the tent.

Have a 3 inch foam pad or a cot, and a warm bag.

Good luck and have fun.

Agree with those above, shovel snow first.

I like to take some cut wood and a bag of coal, just in case you don't feel like cutting wood in the snow.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-14 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]Shovel snow, set up tent, stoke your stove and dry it out so you don't end up with a muddy mess (good luck doing that with a Mr. Buddy heater!). Cheap tarps and/or outdoor carpet make it nice to stand on and keeps things cleaner. Leave a space uncovered for the stove, obviously. A tarp on the roof not only makes snow slide off, it provides an extra barrier against stray embers.

If available, spread a bale or two of straw and cover with the tarp. We've done this and it makes for a warmer bed.(careful with the stove)

I try to move as much snow as much as I can. 17 miles in the wilderness I can only do so much. I always put a tarp on roof to help snow slide off. then I start the SIMs stove asap to start the dry out process and only takes couple hours to dry out

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-14 AT 09:27AM (MST)[p]I don't like wood stoves because they take up so much space, plus they can easily ruin your tent in a flash. Propane heaters are instant heat and instantly cold. No need to make sure the fire is out in morning when you leave to hunt and when we wake up the heater is right next to the cot. So you just reach over turn it on without getting up, lay in bed for a couple minutes BS'g about the upcoming day and wa-la it is warm when you crawl out of bed.

Yes, you have to be careful with propane but as long as you don't do something stupid you will not have any issues. We run two heaters and on cold nights leave one running on low. However the vents are open in the tent and we have oxygen senors.

Forgot, also you don't have to haul an ass-ton of fire wood with you or worry about spending a bunch of time cutting it while you are there(carrying saw and splitting maul around too).

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-14 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]I see MTNMANs thoughts and preference and don't disagree, but I will stick with the wood burning stove. Used them for over twenty years and never had a problem. I believe two propane heaters and tanks would take up more room then a stove. Once the stove is up it is not getting tipped or kicked over as I can see a heater doing. Common sence needs to be used with both.

I enjoy the sound of the wood crackling and the light flickering as we fall asleep and splitting wood has never been a pain for myself. Always pack a saw anyways (never know when a tree will fall across a road and block your path back out - yes it has happened to us).

We also use the wood burning stove to cook on when the weather is a bit unfavorable and the stove is going anyways. When the weather is bad we enjoy the tent with the stove going when having an outside fire to sit around is not exceptable, due to rain or snow storms.

Wall tents breath plenty that propane should not be a major problem, but I would ruther smell the wood burning then the heaters and have to worry about the propane. Wood is usually close and propane is where ever the closest town is. I have have propane tanks freeze up and propane valves or equipment (lanterns, stoves and heaters would fit in here) stop working for some reason or another. Yes you should always bring extras and we do. We still have propane for lanterns and also for the camp chief stove. I hate to say it, but yes when we go hunting we have a full truck and trailier (as some say we have everything including the kitchen sink). I like to say we are always prepared.

I like the heater concept and some times there is a no burn time frame and heaters would have to be used. However, I have never seen a propane heater dry out a tent like a wood burning stove.

I would say both have there places and yes I do own a couple heaters, just never take them with the wall tent. Only been on one hunt that wood was a bit of a problem to find in the desert and I brought my own for the week and was not a problem. In fact I always throw in a tote of wood for the first night and morning so I do not have to round up wood first thing. We usually will spend alittle time the first full day in the middle of the day and gather wood and split and stack behind the stove against the wall in the corner. This wood will last a week and will always be dry. It will amaze you haw little wood you will burn in a week, even when you are not rationing the wood. Alot of places I hunt the wood is right within the main camp area.

This is just my opinion and my preference. I also can see and agree with MTNMAN and his preference. Just two opinions and preferences for you to consider and use to your liking!!!

Enjoy the hunt and the wall tent. There is nothing like a week or ten days on a hunt in a wall tent that is setup right and to your liking.

We have 2. Large Mr heater 3 burner propane heaters we plan to take as back up for the wood stove . I had windows put in the back sides of the tent so we would have ventilation if need to run the propane all night . My colorado stove is not very big and our tent is 14x16

With the combination of the two you are set. Staying warm and drying out clothing will not be a problem. Enjoy.

Yep, took one time getting stuck behind a blown over tree and a long walk out to teach me the value of packing a chainsaw, especially 15 hours from home.

I would recommend setting up your tent long before your hunt to work out any problems that you might have or just to get the feel of putting it all together. If you already haven't done this of course. Good luck on your hunt.

But a sims stove folds up tiny. perfect fit in the panards. packing propane takes to much space. you get leaks and it stinks and chance of explosion if your careless.

I like cutting up wood around camp. get the deadfall out of the way. I go up a month before season a cut wood like crazy to last all season.... special tools make it go fast

>We have 2. Large Mr heater
>3 burner propane heaters
>we plan to take as
>back up for the wood
>stove . I had
>windows put in the
>back sides of the tent
>so we would have ventilation
>if need to run the
>propane all night . My
>colorado stove is not very
>big and our tent is
>14x16

Personnally I wouldn't bring both. That is a lot of stuff not geting used... I would just pick one or the other.

Mntman

I used to use a propane heater in my wall tent, and I thought it was great. Then I bought a wood burning stove and have never used the propane heater again. With wood there is no concern of CO poisoning, and the heat is just flat out better. Propane puts off a humid heat, and thus it is nearly impossible to dry anything with a propane heater. Heat from a wood burning stove is very dry and thus dries your gear out much better/quicker. I also like to cook on the stove at times, and use a 4 gal water tank on the side for ready-to-go hot water. When I can find it, I also like to take some coal with me as it seems to burn much slower and last longer through the night.

>Ok one more silly question .
>On the rainfly/ tarp deal
>is there any issues with
>it in heavy winds? Thanks
>

not if its secured good and tight. I weave a small rope through every eye on the side down the to stakes used for the tent. On the ends the tarp hangs over about 2' and tighten it down flat against the tent (like wrapping a present). Our tent is so big we use two tarps, they over lap in the middle by about 2'. we tie a rope in an eye about half way up to the peak on the tarp and angle the rope at about a 45 degree angle away from each tarp that way the wind doesn't fold them back thus leaving an open seam or ripping the tarps.

Mntman

When you guys tarp off the top of your tents. Do you just tarp up next to the stove pipe and back or do you cut a hole in the tarp for the stove pipe to go up through?? Any preferences on wood stoves??

I've been cutting a hole in my tarp for eleven years now. I used to cut a 24" diameter hole for the stove pipe but for the last five years I've been cutting a hole with only a couple of inches of clearance around the stove pipe. I have not had any problems. Often the stove pipe does come in contact with the plastic tarp but the heat just melts the tarp edge.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-14 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]>Ok guys, call me ignorant
>but we are new to
>the wall tent hunting. We
>will be going 3rd season
>this year and it will
>be our 1st year in
>a wall tent. If
>there is snow on the
>ground, do you shovel away
>the snow down to dirt,
>then set up the tent
>or ?
>Also are there any tips or
>tricks to a wall tent
>to make a cold 3rd
>season hunt more enjoyable with
>2 teenage boys?
>
>Thank you

I always clear off snow, set up tent, and stoke heat up and dry out as much as possible. I always have a trash tarp that I lay down on ground 1st, then lay down a piece of outdoor carpet for flooring. The rule - shoes come off once your past the door. (If I have a guest that doesn't want to do this, then he gets to keep the floor cleaned up...that usually puts an end to the whining!)

Tip: Organize gear, organize gear, organize gear...then make sure everyone sticks to it. At first you'll be called a nag or anal...but if you are in there for more than a couple of days - it pays off.

93993638929_orig.jpg

Wild Bob

>I used to use a propane
>heater in my wall tent,
>and I thought it was
>great. Then I bought
>a wood burning stove and
>have never used the propane
>heater again. With wood
>there is no concern of
>CO poisoning, and the heat
>is just flat out better.
> Propane puts off a
>humid heat, and thus it
>is nearly impossible to dry
>anything with a propane heater.
> Heat from a wood
>burning stove is very dry
>and thus dries your gear
>out much better/quicker. I
>also like to cook on
>the stove at times, and
>use a 4 gal water
>tank on the side for
>ready-to-go hot water. When
>I can find it, I
>also like to take some
>coal with me as it
>seems to burn much slower
>and last longer through the
>night.

+++++++1...but I didn't have any luck with the coal!

>Thanks for the pic wild bob!
>Looks like fun.
>Do you guy ever have any
>issues with wind messing with
>your tarps on top?

I haven't but you have to keep them TIGHT and tie the ends down on each end of the tent so wind can't get under neath them.

Mntman

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-14 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]>Thanks for the pic wild bob!
>Looks like fun.
>Do you guy ever have any
>issues with wind messing with
>your tarps on top?

No. But I button it down pretty hard. If you look closely in that picture, you'll see that I usually use 3/4" metal conduit as posts under each tie-down along the edge of my fly tarp. It works pretty good becasue I cut the posts about 6" longer than it needs to be and I push the ground edge down into the soil when I can.

I'm attaching another picture below a couple of years ago close to home here in MT; you can see that I don't have the poles in place in that picture, so the the tarp set up like that is not as sturdy. (I won't mention any names...but someone forgot the poles on that trip... :( )

76391390321_orig.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the poly tarp that I'm using is that it is nosiy when the wind is up. You get used to it after a while, but it can be a little annoying.

Hope this answers your question, good hunting! Wild Bob

A lot of good & different ideas.
I mainly hunt alone or with 1 friend. So my set up many be a little different. Most of my hunts are late in the year usually the last two weeks of November or later. As far as snow, if it is fresh and not that deep shoveling sometimes works. But usually there is a frozen layer of ice under the snow so I just put on my snowshoes and tamp down the area, and use a tarp on the ground for the back half of the tent. I made my main tent stakes out of 12 inch concrete forming stakes and welded a chain link on the top.

There has been times that it was so windy that I never installed the rain fly or tarp. Whenever you install a rain fly or tarp always use separate stakes then you did to tie your tent down with.

During these late hunts many have had lows of -10 to -35. I have had weeks where the highs never broke the single digits. Having heat is very important. As far as heating the tent there are many options. When I was younger I did not mind being cold and just lighting a propane heater or lantern when you get up for a little heat was fine. Then I went to wood stoves. Very nice and the fire offers warmth and companionship on a solo hunt. I usually do not sleep for more than 2 hours at a time, so I would stoke the fire through out the night. The main problem with wood is the bulk and transportation. Also the drastic temperature changes from when you stoke it and the next time you fill it up. Wood such as oak and pine should not be transported from its place of origin to prevent the spread of beetles and bugs that can destroy our forest. That leaves taking a chainsaw and spending time cutting wood that I would rather spend scouting or hunting. The last few years I have been trying out a diesel burning stove. This has worked very nice. The only thing I dislike about them is how tall the stove pipe has to go to get the correct draft. But I found a few tricks to make that work easier.

I will attach a few pictures of a few of my tents.
32059-mt_-_moose_camp.jpg

Well can not get the other photos to upload. I will try later.
Bill

Lets see if things will work better from another computer.
Diesel stove
2859stove.jpg

Another tent set-up. Very high wind area, highs never got out of the single digits. Wood stove. Not much wood around and had to go find wood for the last day. Used up to much wood staying at camp one day due to zero visability and close to zero temperatures.
9154id_camp_-_2011.jpg

Summer camping with the family. This is where a wood stove shines. Used a small cylinder stove when temps are in the high 30 to low 40 degrees in the am to keep the wife happy.
17910179_1.jpg

Still need to find and post some pictures of one of my smaller tents.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Did you make your wood stove yourself? I'm fabricating one right now out of a 16 gallon grease drum...your's looks very similar in size to what I'm making mine out of. I went about it from a different angle; building the stove horizontally, but your vertical version looks intriguing...could you post a couple additional pictures of your stove?

Thanks, Wild Bob

Bob
The picture is of an expedition diesel stove.
I have 3 different size Cylinder stoves I use when I do burn wood.

Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom