SF0161

Teepee

SF 161 is a bill to charge $20.00/annually just to access State Land. Heck, that is just to access (walk on), because you can't camp on State Land. $20.00 seems to be the going rate this session. (resident pp also $20/per point.)

All of this to gouge a single type of user of a public resources. Why not look at other funding sources. even a small recreation tax. Maybe a $2 annual vehicle registration fee or something...

In Colorado we get stuck with all sorts of fee. They are called habitat stamps here...

I mean really how much money do they need already jacking tag cost...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-13 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]So, I pay $20.00 I have a right to access state land. That means corner jumping is good to go, right?

How about jacking up cattle grazing fees on state land?

Our representatives act like we don't have a $1.6 billion in surplus, specifically the "rainy day" account.

Jack up cattle grazing? Dang, they're already paying nearly a buck per AUM. :) Ok, maybe a little more than that, but not much. A rancher friend of mine even said the state grazing fees are a joke.

The State bought a 11.4 million dollar ranch last year. Guess now they need to pay for it.

No person shall enter state lands without an annual state lands access permit issued under this section. The office of state lands and investments shall offer for sale annual permits that allow a person access to state lands. The cost of the permits authorized under this section shall be twenty dollars ($20.00) per calendar year.

The website for the bills is legisweb.state.wy.us.

So it appears it is not singling out a particular segment of the population like hunters as elks96 intimated in his post! My initial impression is that I would have no problem if it covered EVERYONE and was enforced. We need to start making more than just hunters/anglers pay for the outdoors that they are using for photography, hiking, biking, etc. That would be a start.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-13 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-13 AT 09:33?AM (MST)

I'm assuming all the money generated from the sale of access fees will go into the general fund?

Montana did the same thing many years ago.

Previously to the mid-1980's the lease holder of State lands had total control of all activities, including hunting. They could post state land, etc.

A lawsuit was filed and sportsmen/recreationists gained access to all state lands.

In response to that lawsuit, many landowners closed their private lands to hunting, in particular around the White Sulphur Springs/Harlowton areas.

Another response from the ag community was the theory that if they had to pay to graze their cattle, etc. then the sportsmen should have to pay to access that State land. Next legislative section...sure enough, a law was adopted to make recreationists buy a state lands use permit.

I believe thats what is going on now in Wyoming...any way to squeeze recreationists to pay more will be tried. I dont necessarily disagree with this, but I think if Wyoming is going to require recreationists to pay for access to state lands, they should at least be able to camp on state land.

A bill was introduced around 2001 to allow camping on state lands, but was quickly squashed by the Legislative committee via the ag. interests.

Your legislature and ag interests "at work"...

I was thinking the money would be going to the G&F, but if the Land Board is charged with selling them, I would presume you are correct and that the monies would go into the GF. If that's the case, I would agree that at least overnight use should be allowed. This could also cause more work for the G&F staff who might be charged with enforcement and not gaining nay money for it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom