SFW Meeting - Agenda

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Hi All

Hi All,

Ill apologize up front for the formatting of the agenda. It is in an outline format but didnt come through as I had hoped. For better or for worse, here it is. This has been sent to Don shortly before this post. He has stated he is open to any question, so I have gathered all of your emails and questions and have attempted to cover as many of them as possible.

The meeting details are here:

Date: March 25th, 2010
Time: 7:00pm
Place: 383 Colorow Drive, Salt Lake City, UT

This is up at the U of U in Research park. We have been asked to park in the upper parking lot. Dont worry, its free parking. The conference room is right inside the main doors. You can hit up Mapquest for the exact location.

I have asked Don to take no more than 75 minutes to offer his presentation, in which I hope he will answer as many of these questions as possible. After his portion is over, I will open the meeting up for questions. I will asking for questions to specific topics that are in the agenda. For example, I will ask that the next "x" amount of minutes be directed at Finance questions only, then we move on to Expo related questions. Im hopeful that this will keep our meeting orderly and efficient. Im hoping that the meeting will last no more than two hours, but its hard to tell.

We will have copies (in the better format) available at the meeting, but I would encourage you all to print if off before hand and bring it with you. I will email anyone a copy in advance. My email is [email protected]. Or you can PM me respond to this thread with your email address.

Hope to see you all there.

1. SFW Goals and Objectives
a. What are the SFW goals and objectives?
b. Please provide details about your employee base
i. Full time employees
ii. Part time employees
iii. Volunteers
iv. Members
c. How does SFW help the blue collar hunter?
d. How does SFW help the wealthy hunter?
e. How is SFW creating more hunting opportunities for future generations?
f. Is SFW more concerned with creating hunting opportunity or creating less opportunity with greater trophy potential?
g. How has SFW influenced Utah's hunting over the last 10 years?
h. What are the primary SFW goals for the next 10 years?
i. What species generate the most income for SFW?
2. Current Projects
a. Please provide a brief overview of your current habitat/wildlife projects and which 5 are the most heavily funded?
b. Of all your projects how many are being done on private versus public land?
c. What past projects have been your most successful?
d. What past projects have been the biggest failures and why?
3. Membership
a. Why should I become a member of SFW?
b. Fees
i. How much to join?
ii. Annual dues?
c. What do I get in return for my membership?
4. SFW Financials
a. Income
i. What are SFW's sources of income?
1. Grants
2. Dues
3. Private donations
4. Expo
a. Show entry
b. Tag entries
c. Auction tags
ii. Please provide details about the total amounts of income for each income category
iii. Do you treat income from your various sources differently? How?
iv. What would be your financial future w/o the Expo or without money generate from State donated tags?
b. Expenses
i. Salaries
1. How many full and part time employees do you have?
2. What is the total compensation for each employee?
a. Salaries
b. Consulting fees
c. Bonuses
i. If there are bonuses included in your compensation packages, what metrics are used to calculate bonuses?
d. Severance packages
3. What benefits are provided to each of your employees?
a. Health benefits
b. What hunting opportunities have been presented and used by SFW employees that non-SFW employees are unlikely to receive?
4. Does Don Peay receive additional income from other private organizations, private parties or other non-profits?
ii. Legal fees
iii. Lobbyists
iv. Wildlife projects
1. Can you provide a detailed account of each wildlife project that SFW funded?
a. Cost
b. Projected benefit
2. Can you provide a TOTAL percentage of how much money is spent on wildlife projects compared to your TOTAL income?
v. Advertising
vi. Expo
vii. Other
1. What are the other expenses that SFW has?
2. Is your accountant an employee of SFW?
a. If so, would SFW consider an outside audit of SFW funds?
5. The Expo
a. Tags
i. How many tags are donated from the State of Utah?
ii. How many tags are auctioned versus raffled?
iii. Drawing odds
1. Why have details about the odds not been made public?
2. What are the drawings odds for EACH individual hunt?
iv. Will you detail the process regarding the draw procedures?
v. Please provide details about how many tags SFW employees, members or other volunteers have received during the Expo's history
vi. Provide details about how many tags State of Utah employees have received.
vii. Provide details concerning how many individuals have drawn multiple tags during the Expo's history
b. Expo Income
i. How much money did SFW bring in during each Expo?
ii. What are the individual sources of income during the Expo?
iii. Is income gained from the Expo used differently than grants, donations, banquets, or membership fees?
iv. Is employee salary in anyway related to the Expo generated money?
c. Why are SFW employees eligible for Expo raffle tags?
i. Will this still happen in 2011?
6. Wolves
a. Please detail how SFW plans on dealing with the 'wolf wars'.
b. What successes have you had so far?
c. What successes do you anticipate?
d. What are you biggest concerns or pitfalls concerning the 'wolf wars'?
7. Antelope Island
a. Why is SFW involved in advocating an Antelope Island hunt?
b. How will SFW financially benefit if Antelope Island hosts the current proposed hunts?
c. Will you advocate predator hunting on Antelope Island?
8. Elk Management Plan
9. Conservation Tags

That agenda is setting this meeting up to fail, it has more topics than you could get through in 10 meetings effectively. If you want an effective meeting you will need to narrow the topics and discussion. I would suggest you select 10 or so items to discuss and limit the time on each item to XX minutes.

Yeah, there is a lot of stuff on there. I agree. We will just have to do our best to cover as much as we can. The whole thing resulted from questions about the Expo and their financials, so we will try to spend more time there.

Are you coming?

Grizz-

First, I truly appreciate your efforts in putting this together. However, I would prefer a meeting format where attendees are free to wait in line and ask any question that they want. No doubt all of the questions will fall within one of the categories in your detailed agenda. I am not opposed to having people raise questions about certain issues at the same time but I think the agenda should just list 4 or 5 broad issues-rather than trying to identify each specific question that may arise.

Second, I don't see how this meeting could be finished in two hours. If Don is going to take 75 minutes with his presentation then I hope that he spends the majority of that time addressing issues that he already knows are in question. If Don spends 75 minutes telling us about all of the good that SFW has done (which I largely do not dispute) then there will still be a lot of work to complete in the Q & A period. The vast majority of people I know who will be attending this meeting are coming to hear Don answer questions on some of the tough issues that previously have not been addressed.

Thank you once again grizzmoose and thank you Don for agreeing to this meeting.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Thanks, Grizz. We all owe you big time.

I agree with the posters above- the agenda looks great, but it's more than we can tackle here. I think that after The Don's presentation, time should be granted for Q&A. Perhaps the Q&A time could be divided by broad subject matter, but many of us have specific questions we'd like Don to address. In fact, I would like the bulk of the time to go towards this.

Most of us have seen the presentations and power points, so we look forward to getting down to the real issues and questions. Perhaps a revised agenda, simplified and divided by time, might be a better idea.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe I should clear things up a little bit. I probably shouldnt have used the word "agenda" in posting what I did. Those are all of the issues and questions that I received and read in past discussions about SFW. I tried to group them together as well as possible. That document has been sent to Don with the expectation that he answer to each of those things to the best of his ability. I dont anticipate the meeting flowing step by step through the "agenda" that was published here. It was merely a document to outline all of the issues that have been risen here.

Don will get his time to go through his presentation. The remaining time will be spent doing a Q&A. Im HOPING that most of the questions in the document will have been answered during the presentation. If not, we will all have our time after to ask additional questions. I do want this piece of the meeting to be as organized as possible, which is why we will open it up to ask certain questions regarding specific topics. What we dont want to see happen is someone asking questions regarding financials, then expo questions, then back to financials and so forth. I think it would be more productive to focus our lines of questioning topic by topic and then move on. Once this has happened, we should have some time to spout out whatever comes to mind. Id like to see it wrap up in a couple of hours, but Don has committed to be there as long as it takes. Personally, my attention span starts to wane after 2 hours.

Please feel free to respond with other suggestions. Please understand that everyone in here has their .02 as to how they would like things run, and Im not going to be able to please everyone. Im trying to get this done in the best interest of the hunting community. Im no pro at this, so forgive me in advance if things dont turn out as well as you all had hoped. Right now, Im just hoping people come!

-Travis

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-10 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-10 AT 07:32?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-10 AT 07:23?AM (MST)

This sounds like more of an opportunity for Don to tell those that disagree with SFW's agenda how great SFW is. I doubt Don will get past questions 1 through 3. I don't see any questions concerning the amount that Don Pay profits from SFW. I would like to see questions asking for that info. Don Pay takes a $156000 salary for being vice president. How much more goes into Don's pocket?
1 - How many companies does Don own do business with SFW ?
2 - Are there any companies that do business with SFW that Don has ANY interest in?
A - What is Don's percentage of ownership or capacity in that company?
3 - What are the amounts billed to SFW from the companies that Don owns?
4 - What are the amounts billed to SFW from the companies that Don has ANY interest in?
A - -What percentage of the profits does Don share in from these companies, or what salary is he paid?
B - Are there any companies that do business with SFW that Don is neither a partner or employee, but is paid as a consultant for that company, if so how much is he paid?
6 - Does he own the company that performs the expo draw?
7 - If he owns the company that performs the draw, who writes the code for the program?
I realize some of these questions are repetitive but they have to be asked in many different ways because being the politician that Don is he will skirt around the answers.
Wes

Wes-

Those are all great questions. Come out to the meeting and raise some of them in person.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom